Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to thanks those that helped me with my CB install. The forum and the internet provided me with a great deal
of information that I wanted to give back. So I decided to post it in one place.

I am attaching JPEGS of the info until I can figure out a better way. If someone can tell me how to post this better let me know

I hope this helps someone out there.

I did not know the JPEG had shrunk my template. Please message me so I can get you a full size template

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice job on the write up Riderdave. I recently installed the factory CB, WHIM and a Firestick antenna. I didn’t have a lot of faith in the factory antenna. I have no evidence to support that concern however.

I have some expensive antenna tuning equipment and went with a non-ground plane antenna and was able to customize the wire length and use a shorted-stub configuration to dial into a 1:1.4 SWR.

I am interested to hear your results on the factory antenna.

Looks like the bracket turned out nice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. As you can tell, I am not a computer wiz. So far I am not impressed with the antennas I have (shorties). Next attempt will stock height 33" . Learning curve, may visit a CB shop soon, to see if they can help me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice job on the write up Riderdave. I recently installed the factory CB, WHIM and a Firestick antenna. I didn’t have a lot of faith in the factory antenna. I have no evidence to support that concern however.

I have some expensive antenna tuning equipment and went with a non-ground plane antenna and was able to customize the wire length and use a shorted-stub configuration to dial into a 1:1.4 SWR.

I am interested to hear your results on the factory antenna.

Looks like the bracket turned out nice.
What would the correct SWR for the Harley CB ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
What would the correct SWR for the Harley CB ?
Riderdave-

You want to have an SWR below 2:1. The ideal is a 1:1 ratio. The closer to that the better. I forget what the top range of unacceptable would be. Once you get in the 4:1 or 5:1 range you may risk damaging your radio. I think 3-3.5:1 is still workable without damage, but your range will suffer greatly.

-c

·
Registered
260 Posts
If I did this right, attached below are two photos of my antenna setup. The first should be a picture of the antenna bracket that I made out of aluminum and the second photo should be with the factory HD AM/FM antenna mast on the left and the 4' fiberglass Firestick antenna on the right.

Perhaps not aesthetically pleasing to some, but it is highly effective.

-c

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts