Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, had a bad wobble and dealer wanted $150 to do it...I got brave and decided to DIY...check the fall away and do a steering head adjustment. I did this before on my 2010 with no issue. The procedure for the rushmores is amazingly easier. I do have a service manual, but the procedure is like chinese to me. "tap the tire...etc, etc, etc" Anyone have a better method?

Also, my tire is inflated properly and wheel weights are still present.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I can't help you other than to say when I was having the banging issue in my frontend, dealer told me neck bearing adjustment was never done. And because I was pushing a warranty issue, with my frontend, I told them to do the adjustment.....turns out mine were too tight from the factory. (didn't help with my issue)

I know this doesn't help, but good luck with your issue

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pre-rushmore method was to move the bars to full lock one way and rotate/push in the other direction, measure how far back it comes and adjust..

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
IMHO, fall off is bullshlt. Just something dealers use to make front tire rebalances profitable.

Set the bearing to zero end play and snug. Back off till it swings free but still has zero end play. Use a rubber hammer to make sure the stem backs off.

Too loose will clunk on frost heaves and such. To tight will pull in either direction.

If it vibrates or pulls in one direction only, its not the stem bearings.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
This new fall away method is only difficult because the slightest adjustment of the stem nut has a huge effect and you have to think of it in reverse as the nut is up top but you make the adjustment from the bottom. It's difficult to fine tune. I have never done anything with the wheel weights while adjusting.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
This new fall away method is only difficult because the slightest adjustment of the stem nut has a huge effect and you have to think of it in reverse as the nut is up top but you make the adjustment from the bottom. It's difficult to fine tune. I have never done anything with the wheel weights while adjusting.
True story, the slightest adjustment makes a bigger impact than you think. Definitely worth giving it a check, you never know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Greetings all, had a bad wobble and dealer wanted $150 to do it...I got brave and decided to DIY...check the fall away and do a steering head adjustment. I did this before on my 2010 with no issue. The procedure for the rushmores is amazingly easier. I do have a service manual, but the procedure is like chinese to me. "tap the tire...etc, etc, etc" Anyone have a better method?

Also, my tire is inflated properly and wheel weights are still present.

That is the only method and works like factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts

It definitely takes time. Not something your Gina want to rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts