Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new 2016 Road Glide Special. On the ride home I discover the "new" suspension was terrible. Next day I returned to the dealer and was told they were aware that the suspension was very "tight". Over a period time, and many rear shocks, I found Super Shoxs. The shocks did the trick for the rear but the front was still to stiff for me. I have been waiting for almost 2 years for the front to come out but it hasn't made it.
I tour cross country and I am looking for a comfortable, smooth ride. At present when entering or leaving a bridge shock waves are coming all the way up to the handle bars. Actually looking for a softer ride than stock. I am an aggressive rider, but need the comfort.

Has anyone else tried to do this? I had a 2009 Road Glide that came from the factory with the best ride I have ever ridden. Wish I hadn't sold it. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Different fluids? Any manufacturer that caters to this kind of ride? I have looked at a lot of manufacturers, but their tune is stiffer or a racing setup.

Help!:surprise:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I purchased a new 2016 Road Glide Special. On the ride home I discover the "new" suspension was terrible. Next day I returned to the dealer and was told they were aware that the suspension was very "tight". Over a period time, and many rear shocks, I found Super Shoxs. The shocks did the trick for the rear but the front was still to stiff for me. I have been waiting for almost 2 years for the front to come out but it hasn't made it.
I tour cross country and I am looking for a comfortable, smooth ride. At present when entering or leaving a bridge shock waves are coming all the way up to the handle bars. Actually looking for a softer ride than stock. I am an aggressive rider, but need the comfort.

Has anyone else tried to do this? I had a 2009 Road Glide that came from the factory with the best ride I have ever ridden. Wish I hadn't sold it. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Different fluids? Any manufacturer that caters to this kind of ride? I have looked at a lot of manufacturers, but their tune is stiffer or a racing setup.

Buddy of mine did Legends all the way around and loves them. I have used progressive in the past for fronts and liked them. I would say those seem to be the go to's. I haven't done anything to the front of mine yet but plan to eventually.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Progressive Monotubes is what I installed with my Super Shox. I went from butt ache in 40 min to draining a tank in comfort and got better handling to boot.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
If I move to a Road Glide Special from my Ultra I will go with Ohlins longer length rear shocks. Then I will decide what to do with the front.

You might want to try thinner oil for less harshness and then go from there.

I had front forks rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics outside of Atlanta for my Vulcan Voyager Went with Race Tech Gold Valve Cartridge Emulators and longer springs to provide more cornering clearance and a much improved ride.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

Has anyone else tried to do this? I had a 2009 Road Glide that came from the factory with the best ride I have ever ridden. Wish I hadn't sold it. Any and all suggestions are welcome.
I was surprised at the "feel" of the front end on my 16, too, Dave, and have been looking at installing a 17" wheel from an RGU with a 70 series tire instead of the lower profile 19" 60 series tire. i like the way it handles at speed but under 45 mph seems really stiff and non-compliant. As far as i can tell all the rotors etc are the same, and the 17" wheel & "taller tire" combo that is used on the RGU should be more flexible since there's more tire to flex.

·
Registered
330 Posts

I went with Ohlins FKC 102. Night and day. In fact SMARTY on here lives out in Wills Point and he can take care of you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Dude, you're in my back yard!

+2 on @Smarty being able to hook you up. He too rides a RGS and has done both his front and rear, so first hand experience. He's in Royce City, an easy ride over on the back roads.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
My 16 RGS rides a lot better than my 11 RGU did. The RGU has 1" taller shock in the rear. I added the progressive monotubes up front and dropped it an inch. Still running the premium adjustables on the rear. Have no issue with them. After the junk air shocks on the 08, and the 11. I'm good. I may go to air ride on the rear. To lower it a bit. I tour on mine. Been from Maine to Alabama from my place in NE Ohio. Planning a big ride out west this year. And The west coast next year.

Reactions: Riderdave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here is your answer

I was surprised at the "feel" of the front end on my 16, too, Dave, and have been looking at installing a 17" wheel from an RGU with a 70 series tire instead of the lower profile 19" 60 series tire. i like the way it handles at speed but under 45 mph seems really stiff and non-compliant. As far as i can tell all the rotors etc are the same, and the 17" wheel & "taller tire" combo that is used on the RGU should be more flexible since there's more tire to flex.
I did this on my '15. It is a straight swap as long as you match ABS vs non ABS. Simple bearing change if not already matched. The actual diameter and circumference are identical. It improved the harsh ride coming from the front quite a bit. I also put 13" Progressive 444's on the rear. Short of going into the forks this is the best way to improve the feel of the front end. I think it looks better too. Not a fan of the lowered rear and 19" low profile front "look" anyway. I like to say it handles like an 850 lb sport bike should, yet provides a comfortable ride down the slab.

·
Registered
435 Posts
16 RGS. Legend Axeo's in front Super Shox back. I am very happy. I am in agreement the stock front sucked. I am not sure how HD accomplished a front that is both floaty and diving while at the same time can rattle your teeth loose. A real engineering marvel that stock front end was, the worst of both worlds.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I did this on my '15. It is a straight swap as long as you match ABS vs non ABS. Simple bearing change if not already matched. The actual diameter and circumference are identical. It improved the harsh ride coming from the front quite a bit. I also put 13" Progressive 444's on the rear. Short of going into the forks this is the best way to improve the feel of the front end. I think it looks better too. Not a fan of the lowered rear and 19" low profile front "look" anyway. I like to say it handles like an 850 lb sport bike should, yet provides a comfortable ride down the slab.
THANK YOU for your response! I was beginning to feel "lonesome" in my thinking but your answer tells me that I'm on the right track. Also, I love the way the bike looks with the rear lowered, but the shock travel is too limited for the way I ride. I did crank up the preload about 5 half turns and it doesn't bottom out as hard anymore, but will prolly go to 14" SS in the future. Need more feedback on those...

As they used to say about Harley shocks: "The best $5 shocks money can buy." lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
THANK YOU for your response! I was beginning to feel "lonesome" in my thinking but your answer tells me that I'm on the right track. Also, I love the way the bike looks with the rear lowered, but the shock travel is too limited for the way I ride. I did crank up the preload about 5 half turns and it doesn't bottom out as hard anymore, but will prolly go to 14" SS in the future. Need more feedback on those...

As they used to say about Harley shocks: "The best $5 shocks money can buy."

I’ll tell you what , coming from a dyna to a RGS , I have no complaints . Nothing is fast enough for me other then that god to go !!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really appreciate your reply and it got me to thinking about the 09 RG I had and liked. Researched and found it had a 130/80/17 front tire on it and that may be the difference in ride I am feeling. Your idea of a 70 series could be a good compromise. Was wondering if a 130/80/19 (if they make one)would fit my 16 and clear the fender? Will do some more thinking about it, but I believe you have me going in the right direction. As far as the rear , I will stick with the Super Shoxs. I had tried, air shocks, progressive, and found SS just couldn't be beat.
Thanks for your advice, Dave

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I really appreciate your reply and it got me to thinking about the 09 RG I had and liked. Researched and found it had a 130/80/17 front tire on it and that may be the difference in ride I am feeling. Your idea of a 70 series could be a good compromise. Was wondering if a 130/80/19 (if they make one)would fit my 16 and clear the fender? Will do some more thinking about it, but I believe you have me going in the right direction. As far as the rear , I will stick with the Super Shoxs. I had tried, air shocks, progressive, and found SS just couldn't be beat.
Also, the 17" wheel is only 3" wide, which, in my mind, would give it an even "springier" sidewall. There has to be a reason they went to a 17" wheel on the Ultra. I don't really care for the ride of lowered bikes, but I do think the lowered rear looks really sexy, though lol

I pm'd @jwade420 to ask how he likes the combination, because i didn't want to hijack your thread. Would you mind if we discuss it further on this thread?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
did you get the 13" or 14" SS?

i was told the 14" might be too much travel for the swingarm and would have to be checked. curious.
the extension that is used kinda concerned me, also.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is the difference in ABS wheel and a non-ABS wheel the bearing set up? Or is the hub width different? I know that someone has the answer out there, thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I am going to give it a try. I found a 17" with a 130/80-17 good tire. I bet you are correct, it has to make a difference. I will let you know what happens. It will look different but on a long ride it will be worth it. If it all works I can always back up to a 70 series tire that are available. Thanks, Dave

1 - 20 of 33 Posts