Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to do a complete service on my bike and was going to get my Dakota Oil Gauge hooked up. I see in the directions for the gauges it is showing to use the oil drain plug area (2) to install the sending unit. I was wondering if this is where others have installed it or if you have installed it in the hex area (3)?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
L2R, Although my Glide is a 2012 I have mine inserted in the #3 Hex Area.
If you put it in the #2 Oil Drain Plug you will be taking it out every time you change the oil.
Mike U.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
L2R, Although my Glide is a 2012 I have mine inserted in the #3 Hex Area.
If you put it in the #2 Oil Drain Plug you will be taking it out every time you change the oil.
Mike U.
I appreciate the response. I figured that very thing, I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't have any other issues. I just found it odd that in the service manual Harley says not to remove that hex for some reason.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
You're welcome Bro!
The Hex Plug comes right out, even though the Harley Manual states to never remove it.
The sender unit will fit right in.
Mike U.

·
Registered
172 Posts
M8 gets installed in oil drain plug.
If you want to install in the hex plug, you will have to do a custom job.
Hex plug install is for pre-M8s. Kit doesn't come with what you need to install in hex plug if you have an M8.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M8 gets installed in oil drain plug.
If you want to install in the hex plug, you will have to do a custom job.
Hex plug install is for pre-M8s. Kit doesn't come with what you need to install in hex plug if you have an M8.
The sending unit came with a smaller adapter. I guess when I change the oil I will pull both plugs and see. It looks to me that I can put the sending unit into the hex hole without the adapter. I may just cover my butt and give them a call tomorrow to save myself any headache. Hate to install into the hex hole and have it blow out or something.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
Keep us posted because I will be installing mine by the end of the month.... As already mentioned I Know on my 12 it went in the hex hole. Haven't even looked at the directions for the 18 install yet....

·
Registered
172 Posts
The sending unit came with a smaller adapter. I guess when I change the oil I will pull both plugs and see. It looks to me that I can put the sending unit into the hex hole without the adapter. I may just cover my butt and give them a call tomorrow to save myself any headache. Hate to install into the hex hole and have it blow out or something.
Right, the smaller adapter is for the engine oil drain plug for M8s. The other adapters will not fit in the hex hole. I already tried it. I have the these gauges installed already. Had to put the hex back and use the drain plug hole.

My problem was I didn't understand the directions or I would have never taken out the hex plug. But since I did, I know for a fact that it won't work unless you went down a custom route.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Right, the smaller adapter is for the engine oil drain plug for M8s. The other adapters will not fit in the hex hole. I already tried it. I have the these gauges installed already. Had to put the hex back and use the drain plug hole.

My problem was I didn't understand the directions or I would have never taken out the hex plug. But since I did, I know for a fact that it won't work unless you went down a custom route.
^^^^ Same with my 18, unless DD is now sending the proper adapter with the set up now, you will need to use the oil drain location.

Reactions: Live2Ride

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I see. I've had the gauges installed about a week or so just been waiting to do the sensor when I change the oil. I will do as you did since that is the design. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
158 Posts
Installed the DD oil temp plug last night in the oil drain plug, super simple did a quick swap lost if that 1/8 quart oil that just topped off. 2017 RGS so must use the adapter that comes with DD kit.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I appreciate the response. I figured that very thing, I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't have any other issues. I just found it odd that in the service manual Harley says not to remove that hex for some reason.
If I remember correctly from earlier info on this site the hex plug is tapered. This is scary if you think about overtightening, and thus maybe the reason for the warning. Not that any of us would ever clamp down on anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts