Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install a set of the HD heated grips (plain ones that come on the Ulra Limited) and have run into a problem with the wiring. I searched this site, but found only older post, and it seems that the wiring is different for a 2017. It appears that the accessory lead for the front of the bike is under the fairing, near the right turn signal connector. I watched a video on YouTube and the guy said all the wiring was under the instrument cluster, near the handle bars. He had already had the bike back together, and did not elaborate on where the wire was, what color combo it had, or even go over how the accessory wiring was connected to the battery. After an exhaustive search, I did not see any connectors under my instrument panel, and I have yet to tackle wiring the accessory plug to the battery. Has anyone tried to wire up a set on a 2017 Ultra?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm trying to install a set of the HD heated grips (plain ones that come on the Ulra Limited) and have run into a problem with the wiring. I searched this site, but found only older post, and it seems that the wiring is different for a 2017. It appears that the accessory lead for the front of the bike is under the fairing, near the right turn signal connector. I watched a video on YouTube and the guy said all the wiring was under the instrument cluster, near the handle bars. He had already had the bike back together, and did not elaborate on where the wire was, what color combo it had, or even go over how the accessory wiring was connected to the battery. After an exhaustive search, I did not see any connectors under my instrument panel, and I have yet to tackle wiring the accessory plug to the battery. Has anyone tried to wire up a set on a 2017 Ultra?

Thanks in advance.

Rick
This might help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGqLy_EzbUg

·
Registered
470 Posts

Thanks in advance.

Rick
More
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf2CQ7OWdDY

Remove faring-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvwSsWefj9A&t=14s

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heated Grips

Thanks for the links, but the video by Law Abiding Biker was made in 2015. The bikes electrical is different for the 2017s, according to what I have read and been told. I was informed of the change by the stealership, so they may just be saying that to get me to have them do the install. I was able to get the fairing off with no issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is a plug under your speedo panel. On left side violet and black wires, it has an empty male plug clipped on to it. It's not very long is for heated grips!

·
Registered
23 Posts
How you making out with this? Reason I ask is I found a deal on some heated grips that were pulled off of a 2016 ultra classic limited and was hoping it would be a plug and play for my 2017 RGS

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
I haven't done my '17 Road King yet, but on my '16 Ultra I bought the basic black heated grips and ran the wires internal. The right side already has the wiring running into the speedo cluster area. You pull the wires for the left grip and connect one of the leads to the one you find in the cluster. That puts power to both grips. Then the other lead has to get 12v power from somewhere.

I ran the wire into the fairing but it wasn't long enough to reach the 12V accessory outlet. Instead I traced the wires going to the 12V accessory outlet back up into the middle of the fairing and used Posi-tap connectors to connect power.

I could have gone under the tank and connected to the accessory power harness I added for the heated seat.

Since I am also mounting my Garmin 660 on the Road King, I may run the power for the grips to the accessory power harness under the seat along with the GPS power, or I may pick up power from inside the headlight.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How you making out with this? Reason I ask is I found a deal on some heated grips that were pulled off of a 2016 ultra classic limited and was hoping it would be a plug and play for my 2017 RGS
I don't think it's plug and play. I didn't get a chance to mess with it this weekend due to taking my truck on an off-roading trip. If I get time this week, I'll look into it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no wire!!!

So I tore back into the cluster, and even removed the bars in hopes of finding it. That wire that CR3999 showed is not on my scoot anywhere! I have an Ultra, so I wonder if that makes a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
611 Posts
So I tore back into the cluster, and even removed the bars in hopes of finding it. That wire that CR3999 showed is not on my scoot anywhere! I have an Ultra, so I wonder if that makes a difference.
I promise its there brother. The left grip gets pulled down the bar and meets with connector for right grip. This connector is on the end of the throttle by wire harness. Then the main power i used was on top of right speaker as i used the one under the trees for something else. They also sell a Y harness so you can plug 2 connections in. The pics in the instructions are not an accurate representation of the 16 rgs so throw those damn things away. I know this works 100 percent as i have internally wired about 10 pairs now. I even internally wired Harley's heated grips that are designed to be ran externally by notching the grip and so forth. All of them were the same from 14 to 17 so i would put coin on it that yours is no different 😜. I will try to post some pics of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Free 6 pack

So, after pulling the gage cluster multiple times, and trying to find that pesky wire, I have given up. That said, I'll buy a 6 pack for whoever can help me find that damn wire! My next stop is the stealership to see if I can speak to a tech about it, if no one near me (Little Elm, TX) wants to help a brother out and get free beer in the process!

·
Registered
611 Posts
So, after pulling the gage cluster multiple times, and trying to find that pesky wire, I have given up. That said, I'll buy a 6 pack for whoever can help me find that damn wire! My next stop is the stealership to see if I can speak to a tech about it, if no one near me (Little Elm, TX) wants to help a brother out and get free beer in the process!
What end are you looking for the one that ties the two grips together or the main power supply for both grips. What i am asking is did you already plug the two grips together ? If so then stop looking for the power under the cluster by the trees, and use the one on top of right speaker box. Just so you know there was a problem that Hd had with the connectors. Some bikes came with the wrong end installed on the bikes from the factory. My 16 came with the correct end but my 14 came with the wrong plug end. I had to purchase the correct plug from the dealer and change the end on the power lead for grips.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What end are you looking for the one that ties the two grips together or the main power supply for both grips. What i am asking is did you already plug the two grips together ? If so then stop looking for the power under the cluster by the trees, and use the one on top of right speaker box. Just so you know there was a problem that Hd had with the connectors. Some bikes came with the wrong end installed on the bikes from the factory. My 16 came with the correct end but my 14 came with the wrong plug end. I had to purchase the correct plug from the dealer and change the end on the power lead for grips.
I had a feeling I was going to have to use that one. I might be able to dive back into it this weekend. Things have been crazy around the house, and I haven't had time to mess with it... Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Have you not found any wires? The black and white wire is pretty easy to find. The purple one (closer to the left fork tube) toke a little digging. Cut all the zip ties, so you can brake some of the cluster up. The plug will have a dummie plug that must be removed. Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am working on it this week. I'll tear back into it, cut the zip ties, and maybe the black plastic wire loom to see if the wire is tucked down in there. I have partially torn down now with connecting the accessory wire to the battery. It's slow going right now, as I do not have the repair manual, and I'm goin in blind. The instructions are for the 16 and older bikes, so I'm trying not to fry anything. I'll get there, it'll just take time.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts