Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m new to the RG family and have a question. I bought my 2017 RGS with 300 miles on it from the dealer. I was told the bike had some upgrades but was never told it had a stage III kit. I feel like that’d be a selling point or a markup point.

I had my bike for about 3 days and the check engine light came on. I took it in and they told me it was running too rich. They “tuned” my bike and sent me on my way. While reviewing the dealer maintenance paperwork, it says “tuned engine for proper specifics (stage III).” My bike did include a tuner and it has a k&n style air intake.

Is there any way to know if my bike in fact has a stage III ? I’ve looked it up and it seems more of an internal engine upgrade than one that is readily apparent from the outside.

Sorry for the noob question. My last bike was a iron 883 bone stock lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey Beech. A stage III will have a big bore 114 and cam. No outward sign, but the motor will pull deep to redline and lop a bit at idle. Clutch spring is also heavier over stack. I’m assuming a Harley kit, not aftermarket. Have fun!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Beech. A stage III will have a big bore 114 and cam. No outward sign, but the motor will pull deep to redline and lop a bit at idle. Clutch spring is also heavier over stack. I’m assuming a Harley kit, not aftermarket. Have fun!

I guess I’ll have to get to my redlines and see how she performs. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If H-D stage III the heads should be engraved with "Screamin Eagle" on them and a heavier clutch pull.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
It should sound like a beast if it has the stage 3. I guess if it has stock exhaust you really couldn’t tell. I am not sure the heads have any print on them with the stage 3. The stage 4 has CNC ported on the heads.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Ask for the build sheet.
Couldn't agree more with that statement! I would also say that if the dealer knew about the stage III the price you paid would be a solid indicator of what was in the bike. If they didn't know, you must have got one hell of a deal!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Only the Stage 4 comes with the CNC Scream'n eagle heads, bigger throttle body, injectors, bigger clutch. Stage 3 used the stock heads, clutch, injectors and throttle body. Stg3 comes with pistons, cylinders, cam, valve springs. I would be interested to know what tuner is on the bike. They should have a build sheet if they did the work.

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Ask for the build sheet.
This - Also, see if they ave a Dyno Sheet - When you are at Stage 3, you are into the motor a good bit and don't know too many shops that get that far into it with a Dyno Pull - That and the fact that it was never mentioned has me thinking (2) things:

1. Its not a real Stage 3 and they have no idea whats in the bike or who did the work
2. You got a rookie sales rep who has no idea what a Stage 3 is

If a proper stage 3, it should sound a lot deeper and pull MUCH harder - If you still have a stock exhaust on a stage 3, IMHO, that is like building a 502 Big Block Motor and putting lawn mower wheels on the car.....just does not make sense for the work and $$ put into it.

I would venture back to the dealer and ask to speak with the owner of the place....or at least the GM - Stage 3 is a something that may or may not have an affect on your warranty.......not to mention a lot of components added that can hinder reliability.......and the fact that it was never disclosed to you is truly odd to me

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

This is the tuner that was included with my bike. I also think they would’ve used the stage III as a markup. My thinking is someone who works there may have taken it off for their own bike but why would they give me the tuner with the bike ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
That's the correct tuner for the bike and it is VIN lock to your ecm "cant use it on another bike" and it is EPA compliant for 17 and newer, when tuning the black box is used to between the dyno/flash computer and ecm to up load the tune into the bike and then it is removed. It rewrites your ecm "flash", its not like a lot of the other tuners "fuel pak, power vision, power commander" that stay hooked up and on the bike all the time. You will need it if you ever retune the bike for any engine or exhaust changes. There is info and a video on HD website on how to use it on your own to flash your ecm.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
That's the correct tuner for the bike and it is VIN lock to your ecm "cant use it on another bike" and it is EPA compliant for 17 and newer, when tuning the black box is used to between the dyno/flash computer and ecm to up load the tune into the bike and then it is removed. It rewrites your ecm "flash", its not like a lot of the other tuners "fuel pak, power vision, power commander" that stay hooked up and on the bike all the time. You will need it if you ever retune the bike for any engine or exhaust changes. There is info and a video on HD website on how to use it on your own to flash your ecm.

The Power Vision does not have to stay on the bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So when I got my bike I had to bring it back a few days later after the check engine light came on. The dealer said it was due to too rich of fuel. They used that tuner to tune the bike and that was the last issue I had. Is it possible that the bike was tuned for the stage III and then they removed the stage III kit and that’s why the check engine light came on ?

·
Registered
6,778 Posts
Is it possible that the bike was tuned for the stage III and then they removed the stage III kit and that’s why the check engine light came on ?
The removal of a Stage 3 to go back to a Stage 1 (or whatever) is no small task and would have had your bike in the shop for a few days - That "tuner" per say is not really a tuner but more of a "Map Loader" with some SLIIIIIGHT fields of adjustment available......from what I know

Also, to go back to a Stage 1 means putting back Stock Parts......and you would have felt and heard that immediately upon riding it home after the check engine light visit

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
So when I got my bike I had to bring it back a few days later after the check engine light came on. The dealer said it was due to too rich of fuel. They used that tuner to tune the bike and that was the last issue I had. Is it possible that the bike was tuned for the stage III and then they removed the stage III kit and that’s why the check engine light came on ?

I dont think its likely with that tuner the problem was "too much fuel" . Its my understanding you cant mess with fuel settings much...glad they fixed it tho

At least the tuner they used would be warranty compliant, hopefully the other parts were also?. The dealer should be able to pull up the parts used if it was done at a dealer....post up some pics of your exhaust...there is a reason the tuner was used...

heck, test ride a stock one, if yours is stage III, you would be able to tell!!!

Congrats and ride safe!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts

Why would they remove the stage lll kit ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
958 Posts

It's a 10 to 14hr build - cost more to take it out than to leave it - do you have a Stage III?, if you do you would not have stock exhaust, even if they were to stick with HD parts they would have used the SE Slip Ons, it would not have a stock breather, the heads are slightly larger, cam is very noticeable, park next to a 107 and listen the III won't even be close to the sound of the 107, do a demo on a 107, power on the Stage III will be extremely noticeable - if you're not sure what a cam sounds like ask one of the HD riders that has been around awhile to listen - they'll be able to tell...... I'm asked why my bike sounds that way many times....>:)

Reactions: ksbutler44

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The removal of a Stage 3 to go back to a Stage 1 (or whatever) is no small task and would have had your bike in the shop for a few days - That "tuner" per say is not really a tuner but more of a "Map Loader" with some SLIIIIIGHT fields of adjustment available......from what I know

Also, to go back to a Stage 1 means putting back Stock Parts......and you would have felt and heard that immediately upon riding it home after the check engine light visit
Good call Eddie, but I think what the OP meant was that some fool had selected the "stage III" canned map on the street tuner instead of the "Stock tune" when it was installed, making the bike test out "rich. If indeed the tuner truly is just canned maps, it wouldn't be too hard to select and download the wrong one.

I don't think he meant that they took the Stage III off the bike, just different map is all. Seems like the dude needs to have an independent do a good once over, to tell him what he really bought, 'cause the dealer obviously don't know Schnit!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Hey Beech, you don't really need to take your bike to the dealer to pull the codes whenever you get a "check engine" light. Invest in a good service manual and pull them yourself, saves a ton of cash and frustration.

Unless you have an extended seervice warranty, then spend the $50.00 and let the dealer sit on it for a couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts