Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding at about 80mph+, sweeping left or right turn the front end starts to wander/pogo. Dealer advises its the design of the bike as its try to stand back up......... Any other have this and will suspension upgrade fix this?

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
While riding at about 80mph+, sweeping left or right turn the front end starts to wander/pogo. Dealer advises its the design of the bike as its try to stand back up......... Any other have this and will suspension upgrade fix this?
First some questions:
Did this recently start happening or has it always behaved this way?
What other diagnosis did you do? Check for proper tire inflation? Tire wear? Check engine mounts?​

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
My old '17 with the 19 inch front and '18 with the 21 inch front did/do this - Also have a buddy with a '17 Ultra Limited that says the same thing - I call it the lean speed wobble and tried to "speed it out" by thinking it was just at a certain speed....but it gets worse when you get into triple digits - Stock HD Showa Front designed to eliminate the braking dive felt on older models and NOT designed for spirited riding - New Front is the only thing I have heard to address......but then you have to think, how much time is spent leaned over like that and is it worth the $$ and time? - Living where we do in the "Reverse Tail of the Dragon" meaning we have 11 turns in 318 miles......I just deal with it as less than 1% of my riding has me in that position

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
the 19" low profile, 60 series radial front tire was hard for me to get used to. steering response is quick, and to me, pretty sketchy.

i just put an 80 series 17" front wheel from a road king on my front and i'm loving the difference. much smoother transitions in the corner.
it doesn't turn as quickly as the stocker, but i'm not that into riding an 850# touring bike like a pocket rocket.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm on 18 RG standard and mine does it when on a sweeping exit ramp from one highway to another (at higher speeds). I've noticed that when I lean forward, it greatly reduces, making me think is riding position.

I'm 6'6" 280lbs and sit back in the saddle (on a Mustang wide tripper seat that sits me back a bit anyway).

I think it's the rider position that is causing mine, putting more weight on the back and less on the front tire. I'm planning to change front suspension in the fall with the hope that improves it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same issue here on my 17 RGU, I put new Michilins on and put on some Ohlins rear shocks now I am looking for the exact gold valve part number for the RGU, they only list the Road Glide FLTR not the FLTRU, ,,,,I imagine they are the same forks

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Its a suspension balance issue. There is always going to be some wonder at steady throttle on a 1200+ pound scooter, but you can minimize it.

Add power in the turn and see if that fixes it. If it does, just soften up the rear shocks a some. That takes load off of the front suspension.

If you want it more or less gone, then you'll need to upgrade the suspension front and rear. But be aware, the cushy ride will be gone too.

I run a 300lb/inch shock on the rear of my TRX with Progressive cartridges in the front setup with an extra packer in the spring. It will let me drag board with ease. But I can also count change just by driving over it. Point is, you need to decide what you want ride waise, then order the correct parts. And unless you are a suspension engineer, that means talking with someone who is.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I had some of that before I installed my Legend Revo A 12" rear shocks. With a little playing with the shock settings it fixed it on my bike. I'm 6'4 300 lbs. The front is still stock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
- Living where we do in the "Reverse Tail of the Dragon" meaning we have 11 turns in 318 miles......

Damn that's funny! Sad to hear but funny to read.:wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts