Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the group... The other day I rode my 2017 Road Glide Special to work without any issues. It was cold! 27 degrees. Bike started no problem, I let it warm up and off I went, everything was normal. Later that afternoon I went to leave work and the bike would not start. It would crank but never turn over. Some white smoke came out the right tailpipe and some wisps of white smoke came out of the air cleaner. Additionally, there was an odor of gasoline. I thought maybe the engine was flooded, so I waited 15 minutes and tried again. Same results...At that point I stopped trying to get it started, and called the dealership. I had the bike towed/picked up and transported to the dealership where it is currently being "diagnosed". The bike has 7k miles on it, bought it brand new in June of 2017, and the only mod I've done to it is put on Rinehart slipon. I followed the break-in instructions to the letter and I had a clean bill of health at its 5k mile service. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be??? I'm just waiting on the dealership to get back to me.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Question for the group... The other day I rode my 2017 Road Glide Special to work without any issues. It was cold! 27 degrees. Bike started no problem, I let it warm up and off I went, everything was normal. Later that afternoon I went to leave work and the bike would not start. It would crank but never turn over. Some white smoke came out the right tailpipe and some wisps of white smoke came out of the air cleaner. Additionally, there was an odor of gasoline. I thought maybe the engine was flooded, so I waited 15 minutes and tried again. Same results...At that point I stopped trying to get it started, and called the dealership. I had the bike towed/picked up and transported to the dealership where it is currently being "diagnosed". The bike has 7k miles on it, bought it brand new in June of 2017, and the only mod I've done to it is put on Rinehart slipon. I followed the break-in instructions to the letter and I had a clean bill of health at its 5k mile service. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be??? I'm just waiting on the dealership to get back to me.

Thanks!!
Could be almost anything. Cold soaking will bring out the worst in motor vehicles. Prolly flooded. Hard to clear that out on an injected motor. Sometime they need the plugs pulled and the fuel pumped out of the jugs, followed by an oil change.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I've had the 88 / 95 - the 103, the 110 and now the 107 / 114 - I worry everytime it gets below 35 - 32, Harleys simply do not like to start in the cold - years ago we'd carry some fluid with us, always got a big bang out of starting them that way!! Anyway, I don't know all the technical answer or BS dependent on how you look at it, as to why, but I'm sure if you had tried a few more times it would have fired and hopefully the pipes would have maintained their orginal shape..... :)

The last one was my CVO 110 - stopped for coffee at 29* sat inside till our hands moved freely, our lips moved without blood squirting and then we left, my buddies 103 11RK groaned but started - My 11 CVO RG wouldn't start the first, second or third time on the fourth time it ignited - my buddy damn near fell of his bike, a guy walking by with his wife fell down on one knee - I tried to keep a straight face - I couldn't - between my buddie grabbing his heart and the wife asking him why he did not protect her instead of him ducking - all I could say was, man this thing just can't eat mexican....... But I was proud of her, she started and the V&H was all in tact - a few months latter I asked the dealer to take a look at it, prognosis on that hard start - battery needed to be replaced did not have enough to fire - I reminded them it was changed a year ago as I change batteries every four years - So I go back to Harley's don't like the cold........

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I gotta ask, you folks who ride in the sub freezing weather, do you change them over to winter wt oil?

Below 40f the manual calls for 10w40 oil. And the change interval is 1500 miles. If nothing else, it would make them a little less hard to crank over.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have had a few issues about the same. 28 deg here this morning and it busted right off. Tomorrow it may take several tries. I often wonder if it is all in the starting parameters of the tune that causes the problems. Who tunes their bike at 30 degrees?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Multi-vis oil with frequent changes, I like the 1,500 mile idea, can't keep them hot enough to burn off all the moisture. Most years we ride every month that we have clean roadways. Have ridden as low as 10 degrees here in SoDak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts