Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For wife and I to continue to enjoy our trips the time is coming for change. Trikes do no appeal to us ,so another sidecar is the way to go. In May we are going though Murry Ky and stop in at Hannigan motorsports. We want to see a couple hacks we are interested in and check out Hannigan motorsports. They are only 530 miles away so that makes them number one on the list. Not new to sidecars I have some idea of what I want and don't want. I don't want short cuts so taking time to do this right. As of now the Classic Twin appears to meet our needs. The flip open was number one on wife list.
Wife will still ride on the bike, the Sidecar is mainly for storage and stability . The right setup like this with Quick disconnect will allow the removal of the side car with little effort. This will be my first Sidecar on a touring bike so there is a bit more to it.
The Sidecar is not that expensive , but when you add up everything else it does get to around $12,000. Below is a list of option we are looking at. Some may not be needed , that will all get figured out as we work with Hannigan. Plan is to have it on for next years trips. here is a list of options . If you have experience and something to suggest I am listening.

Disc Brake with Quick-Disconnect Hydraulics (Mandatory on Certain Bikes)
$695
ECC (electric camber control) (HIGHLY Recommended for ALL Bikes)
$595
Mag Wheel Upgrade (5 spoke brushed aluminum)
$65
Spoiler Trunk Lighted specify Red or Clear lens
$295
Cup Holder (Tri-Fold fixed)
$35
Plug 12 volt Accessory + Dual USB
$50
Seat Belt (Lap Belt Only)
$55
Steering Damper Kit (necessary for some bike applications)
$125
Convertible Top (includes all hardware)
$495

Steer-Lite All others (consult HMS representative for availability & necessity)
$995

Cover-medium weight nylon (silver only)
$135
Springs Heavy Front Fork (where applicable by make, model, and availabilty)

Paint - One Color Black hills Gold
$1,095

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've never ridden with a side car or even rode a trike. But I am approaching that point in life. What are your thoughts/experiences, and why choose a side car over a trike.

TIA

·
Registered
413 Posts
Those are great options that you have chosen, especially the Steer-rite if available. I have an older Hannigan double on a Gold Wing with a Leading Link conversion. Best thing I ever did, its like power steering. I don't know anything about Harley trikes; but, more than likely they have a trail reducing set-up that would work for a sidecar application.

Your wife thinks just like mine. She far prefers to ride on the bike and haul everything in the sidecar. You will be surprised how much they will carry.

Good luck with your project. Sidecars are a whole other world.

tj

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never ridden with a side car or even rode a trike. But I am approaching that point in life. What are your thoughts/experiences, and why choose a side car over a trike.

TIA
Trike bore me. They are to limited IMO. Hack set up right offers a lot more options . Sidecar is fun to ride. like a trike there is a learning curve. Had my sidecar out this morning for a nice 46 degree ride.
Pick Granddaughter up from school yesterday with it went for a ride and dinner the took her home .

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Decided on front end. I am going with HD Trike parts. Tree, the 2 inch longer tubes used on HD trike and trike damper. Adds a little cost but will give mea set up that keeps bike height the same with car on or off. Really what it amounts to is putting a trike front end on a RGU. Ordered the parts today.
Will get the front end installed when we get back for our trip in May. Then ride the bike a while with no sidecar attached and get use to the trike front end. We may need to shim the RG faring out just a little for clearance.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The looks of the Heritage Sidecar catch my eye. But function seems to rule more as I age. The Classic Twin still appears to be the right one for us. Pretty sure the Trike front end will not get installed until we return from our planned ride the end of May. Like all new changes I am curious about the Trike front end . I have not found anyone that has done it on a bike with no sidecar yet.
I do know some do it when going with the 21-and over front tires. But that is not my reason for it.
I have had a chance to go over a 2014 Ultra limited done this way with a HD side car. It it as close to prefect as it gets. Owner however never removes the sidecar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Go to United Sidecar Association website. There's a ton of info on it. There is multiple discussions on removing vs leaving on the sidecar.
Almost every one I've spoken to with a Harley has decided to leave it on, because once you change the triple trees, the handling solo gets squirrelly. Good luck, Hannigan classic twin is an excellent hack

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go to United Sidecar Association website. There's a ton of info on it. There is multiple discussions on removing vs leaving on the sidecar.
Almost every one I've spoken to with a Harley has decided to leave it on, because once you change the triple trees, the handling solo gets squirrelly. Good luck, Hannigan classic twin is an excellent hack
That is why I am going with the HD trike front end. The trike front end has 2 inch longer tubes. With the rake and the longer tubes the bike comes back to a normal stance. Yes the steering willing be quicker/lighter. The Steering stabilizer will help with that I have had a chance to go over one done this way. Of course there will be some getting use to it with the car off. Not as much as some of the silly front ends we put on bikes years ago. Parts for the HD trike front end already ordered. Plan is to install it in June after a couple trips we have planned. Get use to it then have the Car installed, over winter. Bike will then stay at dealership freeing up space in the bike room for some other work .
This is the Classic Twin we will be installing. I like the Heritage but it comes up short on some of what we want. Function now over rides looks for us.
Sun will be up soon, have some work to do on the other sidecar today.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
....a machine gun mount.

A buddy of mine lives in KY and has a Yural. We welded a mount on it. We'd take that thing out on trails at his farm and tear it up! You should have seen the faces when we'd pull up to the machine gun shoot with that bad boy.

Do it :smile:

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
....a machine gun mount.

A buddy of mine lives in KY and has a Yural. We welded a mount on it. We'd take that thing out on trails at his farm and tear it up! You should have seen the faces when we'd pull up to the machine gun shoot with that bad boy.

Do it :smile:
I have a couple spare barrels laying around. Not fit for use on weapons anymore . I have consider mounting one on the other sidecar I have now.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good news. The HD paint for the Black Hills Gold is only $119 a quart before my discount and it is a one color paint job not like my last red one that used a different color base coat.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks , not new to a sidecar. Removing it not really an issue if things are done right to start with. The steering will be a little lighter due to the rake . But it can be dealt with. Riders have been raking front ends for a long time.
Going with the HD trike tree and tubes will help with that. It has been done before just many short cut and just go with an after market tree. The HD Trike stabilizer will go right on with the rest of the Trike parts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stopped in at Hannigan Sidecar yesterday. It was a great visit and they are very welcoming. They like to show off their operation. Worked out the details and picked the model we want. it will be the Classic twin. For wwhat ever reason pictures make the back view look a lot bigger than it is. This is what it will look like but in black hills gold.
They had a RG with a heritage Sidecar attached on the floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dropped bike off at Hd today. Some time tomorrow the trike front end goes on. Factory the the RGU has a WB of 64 inches Rake at 26 an the trail is 6.7. The Trike front end should come out about 3.94 for the trail. Manageable for both sidecar and with out . We shall see .

1 - 20 of 115 Posts