Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I’ve been considering a sidecar for some time because it gives the option of still riding two wheels if you want to. I looked at Hannigan at Daytona. I’m in Virginia, and they’re not that far away.

Can I ask if you’ve considered adding a reverse gear?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
dumb question, If all you're going to use the hack for is storage, why not get a trailer instead? a whole lot cheaper and no bike mods needed except a hitch.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
dumb question, If all you're going to use the hack for is storage, why not get a trailer instead? a whole lot cheaper and no bike mods needed except a hitch.
Don't like them we have been know to ride in some questionable weather.
. Many places we stay do not allow leaving trailers. I also have grandchildren 9 to 20 years old. My wife still wants to be seated on the bike . But I think in time she may ride the car a bit.
Paytons wheel chair once collapsed may just fit in the flip up car.
We already have one sidecar. It was on my 1996 FB for 3 years and is now on a HD 750 street. It works great but is small and on the lower end of quality. Sidecars are not for everyone. There is a learning curve . IMO they are a some what forgot option that done right work really well. For us riding has always been a family thing we all share in.
Good chance the sidecar may stay on the RGU all of the time. I could always add a 4th bike to the garage if need be. One thing for sure this Hannigan Twin classic will take it to a new level.
Hannigan does make some darn nice trailers , looked at a few while Visiting them

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Minor issue came up with the front end install. The RGU Tac and speedo housing is not mounting correctly so it appears they may need to use some parts off a freewhheeler. All that really means is it is not done yet.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
This is why I wanted the front end done ahead of time. Issues came up and it gave us time to over come them. Talked with shop they were swapped so it was no big deal if mine sit a day or so. The panel that covers ignition switch was not lining up so that needs some custom work. Bike looks different with the trike front end but hard to really get a feel for the looks with the front fender still off. Front stabilizer was being installed near closing time yesterday.
Issues that came up were not serious ones. They were a result of the RG faring fit .
When you step outside the box expect a few stumbles.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The rake is definitely noticeable, I like the way it looks
I was shocked at how well it handled. Slow speed was not and issue and the faster you went the better it got. Tossed it into some high speed S curves once I got settled in on it. Took it out in a thunderstorm this morning for a bit.
The longer TriGlide tubes make it stand out a bit but does not effect footing at all. HD frame rake is 26 degrees the HD Tree takes it to 32 degrees. Trail is about 7 inches , hard to get a real accurater measurement all put together.
Next step is order the sidecar , about a 10 week build time.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I was shocked at how well it handled. Slow speed was not and issue and the faster you went the better it got. Tossed it into some high speed S curves once I got settled in on it. Took it out in a thunderstorm this morning for a bit.
The longer TriGlide tubes make it stand out a bit but does not effect footing at all. HD frame rake is 26 degrees the HD Tree takes it to 32 degrees. Trail is about 7 inches , hard to get a real accurater measurement all put together.
Next step is order the sidecar , about a 10 week build time.
Looking forward to seeing it all come together

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
They had the bill ready so paid that, picked up all the parts they took off. I sure hope this does not turn out like firearms do, Spare parts turn in to new firearms . Pretty much have a complete front end less faring. In the back of my mind ideas start right away.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Been a bit of a busy family time. Managed to get just over 600 miles on the RGU with the new front end. 110 of that was late yesterday two up. For what ever reason the bike is easier to up right from the stand two up than before . And not just a little it is a major difference. I will need to adjust the rear shocks a bit . For now the work seems to be well worth it. Not normally a real aggressive rider, but while testing it I have been pushing it. This keeps up I will need new tires a bit earlier . It is fun to push it.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Done deal . Just placed the order for the Sidecar, first week October delivery. More details to follow when I get the paper work in a couple hours to sign and return. There goes a new bike in August. The cash will go to the sidecar.

Signed the order and emailed it back.
When ordered I set 1st week of October for delivery. There is a chance in could arrive toward end of August if so it would get installed early September.
Nice part all of that is done now even the shipping is taken care of.
The Sidecar all that I have added to it crating shipping taxes ect. $10,083.
Classic twin sidecar
Mag Wheel upgrade
ECC
Spoilerlight
Cup Holder
12 V /dual USB ports
Seat belt
Convertible top
Color match paint
Crating
Freight
Tax.
All quick disconnect mounting hardware is included . If all goes well there should be no fabrication need for the install direct bolt on adjust and go. It so the project should come in close to the budget.
Not including a ride down to watch some of the building.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
2 week delay looks like 15 Sept. They called yesterday had some issue with their CNC machine . It put them behind. Ask if a two week delay would cause problems for me. It would not. I would rather they take the time and not rush it.
Thinking about a ride down there. They could not get a panel in my color from HD dealer they did not have anything in my color. So rather than ship a side cover I may just take it.

21 - 40 of 115 Posts