Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the fork seals on my 2017 RG. I didn't realize that the fork cap would be so hard to reinstall. I can't compress the spring enough to screw the cap back in the fork tube, I can't even get it to touch the fork tube. I wonder if anyone else has had this happen and what you did to get the cap back on.

·
Registered
357 Posts
maybe this link will work:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice tool and nice instructions.....problem is I'm too lazy to make my own....would you consider renting this tool out?

·
Registered
357 Posts
@stickman I've actually thought about it. It's just the liability of it. I have 100% confidence in the parts.....just don't want to be in that position. Sorry brother!

The only work is to hacksaw the strut. Taking the forks off the bike is much more work. Maybe just buy two struts so you don't have to hacksaw the one and you should be good to go with only ratchets & sockets. That'd only cost about ~$8.00 more.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A piece of thread-all, some square stock, 2 nuts for the thread all, a nut that fits the end-cap, a welder, and a drill press. Cut the stock and weld it to make a big C clamp, drill press through one end of the C to run the thread all through. Weld the nut to the INSIDE of the C at the end where the thread-all goes through. Weld the nut fort he end-cap to the end of the thread-all after you put it through. Weld the last nut to the end of the thread-all on the outside of the C. Put the shock in it, use a socket wrench to compress, and viola...all done. Made one quick and they look just like the HD ones for $400.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,297 Posts
A piece of thread-all, some square stock, 2 nuts for the thread all, a nut that fits the end-cap, a welder, and a drill press. Cut the stock and weld it to make a big C clamp, drill press through one end of the C to run the thread all through. Weld the nut to the INSIDE of the C at the end where the thread-all goes through. Weld the nut fort he end-cap to the end of the thread-all after you put it through. Weld the last nut to the end of the thread-all on the outside of the C. Put the shock in it, use a socket wrench to compress, and viola...all done. Made one quick and they look just like the HD ones for $400.
Great design for those with a welder and the ability to weld. I like Dans design for the non welders like myself (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts