Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only three weeks ago I trade my Electra Glide Ultra Classic for a 2017 Road Glide Special. Last weekend I rod from Richmond, VA to NW PA and once on country roads I could not believe the stiffness of both the front and rear suspension. In fact a number of times my butt left the seat by at least 1 - 2 inches, which is something I rarely experienced on my Electra Glide. I set the rear suspension to less then 1 on the manual setting, and really don't know what to do about the front suspension. Any comment, input and recommendations are very welcome

·
Registered
217 Posts
Did you set the suspension "clicks" based on your weight based on the guidelines in the owners manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Agree with ^^...try and increase the number based on the chart in the book..it doesnt adjust the valving, only the ride height/springload...I have an ultra, mine is set on 9 and im 250,,,

Still bad, then recommend moving to either the 13" version, or upgrade to the myriad of aftermarkets..you may even find someone looking to trade down to the 12s...

1 is WAY too low..minimizing travel a bunch

·
Registered
519 Posts
Did you set the suspension "clicks" based on your weight based on the guidelines in the owners manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One "click" is only 1/2 of a turn. The table indicates full turns clockwise from zero according to total weight (rider, passenger, luggage.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I own both a 2012 RG Ultra and a 2016 RG Special. Setting the "clicks" helped some, but the Special is definitely a stiffer ride on both ends of the bike. The front end is also stiffer-feeling due to the lower-profile tire.

The Special is more fun to ride, but I agree it's harder on your ass on long trips.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Take it back to the dealership. I seen others complain about this and the dealer found bad shocks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got a standard instead of a special, but Ohlins from Howard, front and back, fixed me right up. I've got a friend with a new Limited and the suspension suits him fine. Apparently Harley has better stuff, but doesn't put it on the lower class rides...

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
I think you will get varying opinions on rides - I for one LOVE the front end of the 2017 M8 RG as it got rid of the "dive" - Can't speak to the rear as I road it home with Os from my '15 but I would MUCH rather have a firm ride than a squishy spongey ride - I HATED the front end of my '15 and '16 and the rears were...."meh" - I switched the '15 to Full Os (F and R) and never felt more comfortable on a 900+ lbs bike.......but I like to lean it over and power out of a turn - Riding 2 up fully loaded is not my kind of riding so I can't really speak to that......but will say that with the Showa Front that comes stock in the '17s and the Os on the rear, at SW in NC and Tenn where we hit every type of corner imaginable at all different speeds (tight 15 mph decreasing radius turns to 90+ mph sweepers, leaned over for what seemed like minutes) ......my shitbox was PLANTED and I loved it

·
Registered
172 Posts
I went to y local Ohlins dealer for a set for my RGS 2016.

Unfortunately he didn't have the correct one for my bike in stock so couldn't get then at the time.

However he did mention that the shock on the LHS with coil over oil cylinder was the only thing giving me any comfort.

To prove it he removed the RHS and I rode home without it...didn't feel ANY difference.

Anyway I've got the O's fitted now and it's a different bike.

SLIM

·
Administrator
737 Posts
Hey RoadGlideDan,

I moved your thread over to the Suspension section as it is the appropriate place to post an inquiry like this. Please post within the Help Desk section regarding any forum issues (technical problems with your account and/or on the site).

Thank you,
Natalie :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts