Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Im short, I have a 32" inseam, and even with the low seat Im not flat footed while sitting. I spent about an hour at the dealer today, and they said there was nothing available... Yet... to do that for me. Unless I bought the RGS rear shocks that are 1" lower in the rear... for $900. I will most likely go aftermarket for a better ride, and more options.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I had progressives in the front of my FXCW, and lowering bolts in the rear. I want to do a level 1-2" drop front and rear so I Can reach the ground.

Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site. I would be pleased with a 32inch inseam. Mine is around 29-30 and I'm 5'7.

I didn't have too much of an issue with the bike as it was factory. I only ever put one foot down and keep the other on the floorboard. I did send my seat to 'Mean City Cycle' and had it worked on. I was primarily looking for comfort but told him if it could be lowered any, without compromising comfort, to do so. It was lowered probably an inch, maybe more, but the other big difference is that he narrowed the nose of the seat, allowing an easier reach to the ground. I think this would be a good place to start.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
There are plenty of take off shocks for sale cheap. EBay and on the forums. But for 700 you can get 940's. I just put the progressive mono tubes in the front with them dropped an inch. And I have a special. So it's really low now. That combo will make ya flat footed. I have a short 34" inseam. I'm past flat footed. That's with the Hammock seat. Not a lot profile seat.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I personally would try to not lower it. Im 5'6" and had a hard time backing up etc. I put the lowering kit on it. Im thinking 1 1/2 in lowering kit in the rear. It helped but I scrape on hard left hand turns and that just bugs the crap out of me. No problem laying it down on right hand turns. Im also scraping pulling out of some parking lots with high curbs. Before you do anything I would put a little seat time on the bike and get used to it. I had hell at first with the weight of the bike and close quarter maneuvering. Im 140lbs on an 800 plus pound bike made parking lots a little challenging.lol one time I had to get an older lady to help me back the bike up so I could get turned around. A little embarrassing but a good learning experience. I couldnt get away with the stuff I used to with my 8Ball. Go Ride Enjoy and Good luck.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I personally would try to not lower it. Im 5'6" and had a hard time backing up etc.
Reach back and grab the top of the rear crash bar with your left hand, it makes the bike feel a lot less iffy while backing up. The front might try to flop a bit steering with only one hand, but I usually try to only backup completely straight or at full lock.

It's quite easy once you get used to it (I'm 5' 9' with a 32" inseam - bike is stock height).

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
If you decide to try and lower the rear. You can pick up a lowering kit on e bay for about $30 shipped. It will allow a 1"-2" drop. I know of about 4 or 5 guys who are using this kit. And they like it. And if it does not work for you. You are only out $30. JMO

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Someone was selling the 12" hand adjustable Special shocks a few days ago in the forum's classifieds for 2 bills.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
This talk reminds me of an old Randy Newman song..... >:)

With a 32" inseam, I'm surprised that there is an issue. I have a 30" inseam and raised my bike and still flat foot it with a Mustang seat that is NOT low profile. Agree with the other posters that suggested looking at your seat before lowering the ride. Cranking the big beast over in the corners is too much fun! But, a quality suspension will really improve your ride.

·
Administrator
12,504 Posts
Tamarac lowering blocks in the rear, Progressive springs -1" in front, lowers the bike and gives a better ride. Total cost just under $200.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
2017 Ultra : Iv gotta lower this baby 1.5" or 2"

I'd suggest not lowering the bike more than 1" in the rear and then if not enough get a different seat. Any lower on the suspension and you start to scrape badly and the ride gets rougher. These bikes only have a couple of inches of travel as it is and lowering reduces that further. It'll ride like crap.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Test ride a RGS. Rear suspension is 1" lower & lower seat. Changing seat will make a lot of difference. I changed my seat to a LePera, I'm much more sure footed than before, I have a fused left ankle, and can't believe the difference between the seats. Had 2 stock seats with a difference between them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i put 1 3/4 lowering blocks on my 2017 and i thought the ride was ok with the adjustable coils, but then i went ahead and put corvette adjustable shocks with a compressor and I'm about to add 1" lowering blocks to get it to sit on the ground when parked, i like the air ride better because i can choose low and rough, or high and comfortable based on what the ride is going to be. i also don't care about grinding my pipes off though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am also challenged by my height....5'8" with 30" inseam...my ride is a 2015 Road Glide Special.

I added the lower of the OHLINS from Howard at Motorcycle Metal...i think they are the 12 1/4'? Then added COVINGTON lowering blocks, which gives me 1" lower. I am flat-footed with a seat that is , i think, an Ultra Low seat that i picked up on Craigslist for $120, and flat with the stock Road Glide Special seat.

The pipes never drag in corners, and the only time they make any noise is when i leave a step driveway, but i can't see any scrapes looking from where i stand, so if there are scrapes underneath i don't care.

That's my .02 cents!
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
So, Im short, I have a 32" inseam, and even with the low seat Im not flat footed while sitting. I spent about an hour at the dealer today, and they said there was nothing available... Yet... to do that for me. Unless I bought the RGS rear shocks that are 1" lower in the rear... for $900. I will most likely go aftermarket for a better ride, and more options.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I had progressives in the front of my FXCW, and lowering bolts in the rear. I want to do a level 1-2" drop front and rear so I Can reach the ground.

Thanks.
32 inch inseam is not short dude. Put a low tour seat on the bike. Dealer should have one you can demo.

You may need to roll out of the seat off your tailbone if you really can't flatfoot but with 32 inch inseam you should be having no issues.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’m 5’5” and maybe a little change with a almost 30” inseam. I use an ultra low seat and put the 14” SuperShox on the rear. They come with a relocating bracket. They have more travel and sit like a 12” shock. Still working on what I’m doing with the front but I touch flat at a stop and feel pretty stable. Rides is pretty nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
I’m 5’5” and maybe a little change with a almost 30” inseam. I use an ultra low seat and put the 14” SuperShox on the rear. They come with a relocating bracket. They have more travel and sit like a 12” shock. Still working on what I’m doing with the front but I touch flat at a stop and feel pretty stable. Rides is pretty nice too.

I did the same with the super shox debating on the progressive monotubes. I did the 1" lower on my 08 rg they were a vast improvement over stock. Was looking at the FST monotube not sure if I want to go standard height or 1" lower as I am also a 30" inseam.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks.
You can buy a frame drop kit 3 in runs around 2 Grand

·
Registered
903 Posts
I put the Ultra Limited Low suspension kit on my 17 RGU, it lowered the bike about 1” front and rear. I’m 5’10” with 29” inseam, which put it about right for me. Since then I’ve lost about 60 lbs which helped me reach the ground flat footed, but I’ve also had to change the seat from my Corbin since the weight loss has moved my riding position down and back...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts