Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get one really epic ride a year. We're three weeks away from the start of a whole new journey - and I can't wait to ride. For those new to our crazy riding habit, a bit of history is in order.

- In 2012, we embraced a challenge to ride all 48 contiguous states. We nailed it, riding the Southwest in '12, the Northeast in '13, and the Northwest in '14. We stopped to get a quick pic just over the Kentucky state line as we covered the 48th and final state. And then we said, "Now what?"

- In 2015, we revisited the southwestern United States, which happens to be my favorite part of the country so far.

- In '16, we thought we'd stay close to home, exploring the Ozarks, and then decided we needed more adventure and went north to Pennsylvania to visit the Harley-Davidson factory.

- Last year, our destination was eastern Canada and the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia.

And that brings us to the 2018 adventure. This year, we're going big - just under 10,000 miles - riding to the Canadian Rockies to explore the Columbia Icefields Parkway that runs north from Banff, Alberta up to Jasper. The pictures we've seen are simply stunning. Along the way, we'll ride Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain Park, spend a day-and-a-half in Yellowstone National Park, and then ride through Lolo Pass. From there, we'll tackle some great roads on our way to Seattle, then head north into British Columbia. After several days exploring this region of western Canada, we'll end up in Banff, where we'll spend three days on the Icefields Parkway - one night in Banff, then a night in Calgary as we pick up our wives, a night in Jasper, and then another night in Banff. Finally starting home, we'll visit Glacier National Park and ride Going to the Sun Road. Finally, as we start the long ride home, we'll visit the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore National Monument, and Badlands National Park.

Whew! That makes me tired just typing it all!! But if God grants favor in the way of safety and absence of serious mechanical challenges, I believe this ride will be the most epic of all. Did I say I can't wait? We're weeks away from blastoff and I'm already packed!

Here are a few things about our trips:

- We don't camp. The closest we come to "roughing it" is staying in a hotel that is not part of a national chain. We stay in Hampon Inns most nights, but we'll find an IHG or something in the Marriott family if we can't locate a Hilton property. We'll grab a Best Western reservation when necessary - and only stay in a local mom-and-pop hotel if necessary. No camping for us! We like a hot shower, a clean bed, a hot (and free) breakfast, and, in a perfect world, a hotel staff that understands we like to clean our bikes up a bit.

- We eat pretty well. Breakfast in the hotel... a break at lunch... a nice dinner that lets us enjoy the depth of our friendships as much as we enjoy the food. We try to avoid national franchises, choosing instead to research the best local fare in the towns we frequent. We don't camp and we don't cook over an open fire. Nope! That's fine for many - but not for us.

- We ride hard. Pretty much every day is a 12-hour (or more) day. We're typically in the saddle by 7 AM, and are often rolling into our hotel close to 7 PM. We don't always ride for 12 hours, though. Our day in Yellowstone, for example, is less than 300 miles - but we're off of the bikes a lot, celebrating the wonder of God's creation. Conversely, our longest day this year is 820 miles. No, that's not a typo. We maximize our time away, then push hard when it's time to head for home.

- We visit a lot of national parks. Each park is a treasure of creation and history that has been preserved by our government in a wonderfully wise move. More on that soapbox of mine later...

- Our trips are more about relationship than riding. I'll address this more later - but suffice it to say that my life and riding experience is enhanced in an indescribable way by the friendship of our little band of brothers.

That's enough for now. I'll be blogging throughout the trip, posting more details and more pics than I can post here - but I'll try to keep some updates here. Get the full story at and follow along with us if you want to at The Road Less Traveled.

C'mon June 14. I'm ready to ride!

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Enjoy and ride safe to you and your little band of brothers sounds like an epic trip

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Sounds fantastic. We’ve risen a bit of your route. I’m sure it will be great.

Wishing you good weather & safe travels!

·
Registered
885 Posts
Have a great trip!! Love the long days in the saddle on long trips. Two wheels is the best way to see the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Awesome! For those on the fence about doing an epic adventure, or you keep telling yourself "one day.", don't wait! If I had waited I would never be doing it.

Have a great adventure FloridaFLTRU!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Enjoy what sounds like a great adventure! I'll be following along.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Great post! I'll be following along and looking for the pics! Safe travels to you all!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm jealous of the band of brothers. I can't find anyone that wants to ride further than the local bar or restaurant. The wife is good for 20 miles tops. Any long trips I have to do alone which is boring as hell. Have a safe trip!

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Love the long days in the saddle. Did 2 iron butt rides last summer in the same week. I like to get where im going and spend as much time as possible there.Good luck and safe travels.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm jealous of the band of brothers. I can't find anyone that wants to ride further than the local bar or restaurant. The wife is good for 20 miles tops. Any long trips I have to do alone which is boring as hell. Have a safe trip!
We've been up your way three times. One of the guys grew up in Lancaster County and has family in York. If we come up that way again, maybe we can ride together. If you ever head down here for Bike Week or Biketoberfest, let me know.

·
Registered
129 Posts
It toke me most of the day to ride the Road to the Sun the first time. That is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I spent a week there. I hope the road is open for you. I know it's not open yet.
Good luck and have fun. I've been planning a Canadian Rocky trip myself. I also ride heavy. Eight hundred mile days aren't that far. It's just the love of the ride.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Good luck, if you would have went to Sharkweek in Canada you would have done most of your planned trip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
AWESOME!! You are truly blessed!! I just started my 2 wheel adventure last year, so excited to see where all it will take me.
Safe travels.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good luck, if you would have went to Sharkweek in Canada you would have done most of your planned trip.
Ha! Four of the guys I ride with have BMWeenies. I don't think they would have enjoyed hanging with the Sharks. Where in Florida are you? Make we can head out to Shark Week together some time. I'm the only Road Glide in our bunch. Poor unfortunate souls don't know what they're missing.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts