Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 RGS is awesome, however, I cannot hear the stereo on the freeway. Is there an economical solution? Maybe just speakers? I don't want to change out the whole system, just an inexpensive (cheap) solution. Is this possible, or will I need to spend ridiculous amounts of cash?
Also, is there anything that Harley offers that is ok?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Jlaudio hx 280 x4 biktronics titan II 6.5 coaxles biktronics line levler and a good Amp. Install kit from NVX Audio and you will enjoy
Music once again!!!!!!! For small $ good luck

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm not sure what inexpensive is for you, but the easiest and cheapest way to get much better sound without breaking the bank is a two step process.

1. Get a new windshield. The cheapest quality option out there IMO is the LongRideShield. longrideshields.com/collections/2015 I'm currently running the Thresher as the weather has started to cool off and it keeps a little more wind from getting into the cockpit area. All summer I ran the Stingray because it let a little more air into the cockpit area. (yes I have both of them, I got them when they first came out and got them for less than 80 bucks a piece. They are a bit more expensive now but still a really good deal. Follow the directions for ordering the right height and you should be fine or call them up they are really nice people to deal with) If you wait a week or two you may be able to get them for a little better price with Columbus day coming up.

2. There are a number of good quality amps to be had for pretty cheap money that work really well in the Shark. Cerwin Vega has the B52 and the B54. Soundstream has the Picasso Nano series. There are a few others that are good quality that wont break the bank but do yourself a favor and stay away from the Boom! stuff. Its way overpriced IMO and not worth it.

The best bang for the buck IMO speaker wise is the Infinity Kappa 6211i. Its a 6.5" coaxial that sounds good, is a ~2ohm speaker and can usually be had on Amazon for a touch over a hundred bucks. Can you buy cheaper or more expensive speakers? YUP but dollar for dollar the Kappas are a great investment when on a budget.

The only other things you will need are a Biketronics BT355 line leveler BT355 HD Radio Line Leveler And Pre-Amp Adapter for 2014 and Up - Biketronics Inc and an amp install kit. I went to a local stereo shop and got the wire and fuseholder from them and spent less than 30 bucks.

Dont get it professionally installed, you can do this yourself and save money, plus you will get familiar with the Shark. If you take your time it will take you 1/2 a day. If you have had the fairing off and are familiar with the girl a little bit , it can be done in 4 hours or less.

There are a bunch of threads here on the amps and speakers and how to do the install. It really is a straight forward upgrade and you will be happy with the end result. Hopefully you dont end up like some people and get the stereo bug. (i say that like I'm immune from said bug as I toy with the idea of spending more money on new stuff for my stereo)

With a little shopping around this can be done for about 500 bucks, and will sound leaps and bounds better than what you have now.

Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I'm not sure what inexpensive is for you, but the easiest and cheapest way to get much better sound without breaking the bank is a two step process.

1. Get a new windshield.

2. There are a number of good quality amps to be had for pretty cheap money that work really well in the Shark. Cerwin Vega has the B52 and the B54.

The best bang for the buck IMO speaker wise is the Infinity Kappa 6211i. Its a 6.5" coaxial that sounds good, is a ~2ohm speaker and can usually be had on Amazon for a touch over a hundred bucks. Can you buy cheaper or more expensive speakers? YUP but dollar for dollar the Kappas are a great investment when on a budget.

The only other things you will need are a Biketronics BT355 line leveler BT355 HD Radio Line Leveler And Pre-Amp Adapter for 2014 and Up - Biketronics Inc and an amp install kit. I went to a local stereo shop and got the wire and fuseholder from them and spent less than 30 bucks.

Dont get it professionally installed, you can do this yourself and save money, plus you will get familiar with the Shark. If you take your time it will take you 1/2 a day. If you have had the fairing off and are familiar with the girl a little bit , it can be done in 4 hours or less.

There are a bunch of threads here on the amps and speakers and how to do the install. It really is a straight forward upgrade and you will be happy with the end result. Hopefully you dont end up like some people and get the stereo bug. (i say that like I'm immune from said bug as I toy with the idea of spending more money on new stuff for my stereo)

With a little shopping around this can be done for about 500 bucks, and will sound leaps and bounds better than what you have now.

Hope this helps,

Mike
This is an excellent recommendation for a very good sounding low budget setup. I didn't have a lot of cash to spend on my upgrade and I was an early adopter so there weren't a lot of options at the time.

At first I started with just speakers - JBL GTO638
I ran that way for about a month
Then I added the Cerwin Vega B2
Much happier

In early 2016 I swapped out the GTO638 speakers for the Kappas and also bought a portable Oscilloscope to help me tune.

Currently running
Cerwin Vega B2 (predecessor to the B52 / B54)
Infinity Kappa 62.11I
BT355 Line Leveler

There weren't any installation kits available when I did mine so everything went in the old fashioned way, wire, splice, solder etc.

All in you can do the above system for less than $400.

Is it audiophile quality? No
Is it the best you can buy / build? No
Will it win any bike night noise awards? No
Can I hear it loud and clear running down the interstate at 80+ MPH? Yes

And my wife can hear the tunes from the back of the bike as well.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I guess I should have made that clear in the first post.

You can put a thousand dollar pair of speakers and it will still sound like shit due to the fact that the head unit only puts out 25 watts/ channel.

You MUST add an amp if you are looking for even mediocre sound. The kappas like power and the B2/B52/B54 do nicely on a budget.

You also need a line leveler and the BT355 is a good one that takes a lot of the nasty signal away. If you mention RG.org they still give a discount I believe.

Mike

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I heard these were good....
ARC AUDIO MOTO 600.4 and Focal ES 165KX2 speakers. Comments, anyone run this setup?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I heard these were good....
ARC AUDIO MOTO 600.4 and Focal ES 165KX2 speakers. Comments, anyone run this setup?
+ 1 for this question. Went to a local shop today to discuss, they had a StreetGlide in the bay and said thy have done several Harley installs (must have all been SGs because i had to point out, my fairing does not look like that one and the installer seemed a little surprised).

This particular shop highly recommended the Focal speakers (did not write down the model) and a Focal 4 channel 480Watt Amp. This apparently fits under the SG hood, anyone tried to get it into a RG?

I came home and started looking for some Focal specs and realized amps are Class A, Class B, etc. Anyone able to tell me which class to look for or if that even matters?

·
Registered
371 Posts
That Cerwin Vega B52 is key to a low $ system @ $130 from amazon. I also like the value of the Hertz HCX 65 for $160. I tried the Kappa's in my bike, but the grill clip hit the speaker and would have torn it up, I'm sure.

If You have an indie shop that has the capability to flash the radio cheap enough... You can avoid buying the line leveler too...

·
Registered
761 Posts
I came home and started looking for some Focal specs and realized amps are Class A, Class B, etc. Anyone able to tell me which class to look for or if that even matters?

Class D is the norm for bikes. Some kill FM reception, some don’t.

The FDP Sport is the newest Focal model and puts out 4x175 at 4 ohms and will easily fit in fairing on a BT amp tray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
761 Posts
Is there anything amp-wise that is plug and play? I currently have JBL GTO638.
It depends on how you define plug and play. To me it's not having to cut or otherwise hack the stock harness. Almost anything can be installed without cutting the stock harness. Several brands (or at least dealers of brands) provide equipment with connectors that tie right into stock harness for Rushmore bikes as long as you're keeping the stock head unit. It's not always as easy on the 13 and down bikes, but there are folks that will make just about any jumper or pigtail you need. Install the new stuff and it can be put back to stock quickly for trade in.

Don't let plug and play drive your decision. No matter what amp you go with you will have to pull the outer fairing and gas tank to run power/ground to the battery. That isn't hard at all and if you can do that you can do anything else needed to install an audio system yourself.

The most confusing part is the tons of combinations available and which ones work well together. Sound is very subjective, you may hate what I think sounds great and vice versa. My advice is to always spend more up front and do it right once as opposed to multiple changes because you get bored with a setup and want more (been there done that).

·
Registered
489 Posts
I just installed the Cerwin Vega B54 amp in my 18RGS with Rockford Fosgate T1650s component speakers. The midrange 6.5 was a tight fit into the speaker enclosure, and I cut out the dimple in the speaker grills to fit the tweetr. I used a BikeTronics BT355 line leveler. I didn't need to cut into any wires and all existing wiring is still functional. The sound is amazing and I am all in for under $400. The amp was $149 and the speakers were $129. The BT355 were $79

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just installed the Cerwin Vega B54 amp in my 18RGS with Rockford Fosgate T1650s component speakers. The midrange 6.5 was a tight fit into the speaker enclosure, and I cut out the dimple in the speaker grills to fit the tweetr. I used a BikeTronics BT355 line leveler. I didn't need to cut into any wires and all existing wiring is still functional. The sound is amazing and I am all in for under $400. The amp was $149 and the speakers were $129. The BT355 were $79
I am sure this has been answered and beaten to death but do I need one line leveler per amp, one per pair of speakers (i.e. one for front, one for rear) or is is it one per speaker.

Along those same lines, are line leveler's needed if the amp has speaker level inputs and if the amp specs say "high level input" is that the same as "speaker level"? Assuming "speaker level" input will negate the BT Line Levelers, any benefit to using the line levelers and going "pre-amp" input? Some amps seem to offer both inputs, trying to figure out if this is strictly convenience or if there is a performance gain one way or the other.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Class D is the norm for bikes. Some kill FM reception, some don’t.

The FDP Sport is the newest Focal model and puts out 4x175 at 4 ohms and will easily fit in fairing on a BT amp tray.

Thanks Roadie. I went today to see if the Audio shop down the street from my house had this amp. No doubt it would literally embarrass every Boom Stage II in hearing distance, but definitely not a low budget option. They did, however, have a Fosgate kit on display that purports to be a Harley Boom upgrade in a box with a 400 watt amp, two 6.5 speakers, grill inserts for RG and SG, wiring harness to plug and play under the Harley hood and a couple trays (one for RG one for SG). Not sure if this qualifies for what OP calls budget but with an online price of $850 for everything, it is low budget compared to other options.

Right now the kid inside is screaming get that Focal Sport with a pair of Focal K2 components in the faring and a pair of Focal Flax coaxial for the tour pack. I gotta get that kid under control and it is too late for Military School . . .

·
Registered
761 Posts
Right now the kid inside is screaming get that Focal Sport with a pair of Focal K2 components in the faring and a pair of Focal Flax coaxial for the tour pack. I gotta get that kid under control and it is too late for Military School . . .

Sooner or later the kid is gonna get what he wants. Buy once cry once. Been there done that.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
eventually I will upgrade the radio, and add lower speakers as well. But, for now, that taller windshield helped tons as does ear plugs, they take out the wind noise, and all the highs from the speakers that cause fatigue. Hit the slab, its surprising how much better you can hear the radio better at speed with ear plugs in, and still hear any necessary sounds such as cars, or horns.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts