Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, My 2018 scoot has 2000 miles on it and it has been stored for most of the summer due to the number of high amount of DTC codes I have received from my scoot.

At first this all started about 4-5 months ago after I installed the FP3 Vance and Hines Fuelpak.
I kept on re-mapping my bike because I kept on receiving trouble codes and I have no idea why, I still have no idea why.

After that was done, the idling on the bike became very erratic, idling from 1200 to 600 back to 1000 and then back to 400 and then the bike would completely shut off. This happened after I let the bike warm up and put it into gear and would ride it to a traffic light.

I would come to at a stop at a red light and it would stall. So I brought it to Harley they fixed the idle but it still was not idling and did not sound as perfect as it did when I bought it brand new back in 2018 from the dealer.

So after the idle was fixed I had stored trouble codes that they did not bother to clear, and are still stored within the bikes ECM. When the idle was somewhat restored my left directional and my trip odometer and the volume to my radio just disappeared because what those idiots did did but will not admit is that they undid the flash to my motorcycle's stereo.

I should mention at first when I installed the FP3 fuelpak I did receive some historical codes. So, I would go ahead and clear them and those same exact trouble codes would re-appear so Im assuming the bike was telling me something. I still have those same trouble codes 4 months later.

And now, my radio has no volume coming out (neither does the NAV). It picks up the Bluetooth but there is absolutely no sound coming out of it. However, all 3 of those areas I just mentioned such as the volume, trip odometer, left directional are all on the left grip (so I'm assuming they must be all on the same grid pattern) and 1 of the many codes that my bike has is LHCM U0141 and about 20 different U DTC Trouble Codes which I can not remember.

I installed an aftermarket set of HERTZ speakers and a Diamond Amp 600 watt for a sound system and a whole front channel wiring system, and I have this funny feeling that the aftermarket stereo that I had someone else install has caused all these trouble codes to go crazy.

The service idiot at the Harley dealer says to me that the Vance and Hines FP3 Fuelpak is the one to blame for all these problems but The guy was a total jerk and just did not want to help me or hear what other issues I had with my bike.

His response to the LHCM U code was bring it in we will put on a new throttle grip sensor as long as it is covered under warranty, the guy was totally useless! And just did not give 2 sh$$s about helping me out with my situation.

Well so now lets fast forward to last week and so I gave my bike to my usual mechanic and he had it for 3 days and he told me that my bike , the 2018 M8 bikes run off a Can Bus system which makes sense. He continues to tell me that my bike is receiving all these different messages from your bikes ECM and are trying to figure out what messages are good and valid and which are not (or something!!).

He mentioned that my bike takes the cake for the most DTC U trouble codes that he has ever seen!!!

After the time that he had it, he some how restored the trip odometer, left directional (which at first were completely dead)!....I rode it for the first time yesterday, and low and behold the left directional and the trip odometer would work sometimes and sometimes they would not, they were still inconsistent, but he seemed to have made some progress.

He told me to bring the bike back in about 1 month and that he promised he would fix it and get me back to riding my bike again. That was music to my ears.

I basically need a mechanic that is really experienced I am assuming in diagnostics/electronics on HD's

I should mention that I installed a set of Factory 47 aftermarket 14 inch handlebars (apes) and never had a problem. Also my aftermarket stereo was functioning fine. I also installed a set of TRX Tormentor headers with TAB mufflers w/ zombie baffles.

I also installed precision billet floor boards, but the minute I installed an aftermarket amp with speakers and the Vance and Hines FP3 Fuelpak, this bike just pretty much changed, which started with the whole idling issue!

Hope to have my bike back soon!
Any thoughts, comments, ideas please , I would love to get some advice from the experts out there in the www.RoadGlide.Org community

Thanks
John S

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
John, did You ever try removing the FP3 and see if the issues went away?
I don’t have any knowledge of the FP3 but it’s possible You have a bad one.
I would also try calling Vance & Hines and see if they have ever had the same issues with another customer that you’re experiencing.
I sure hope Your Indy can figure it out Brother.
Keep Us posted on how You make out.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey Mike,

I removed the FP3 and its been off the bike for about 3 weeks now, and those issues are still there, they havent gone anywhere!
Unfortunately!

John S

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Do you try loading the original map.back in the bike? On your initial set up it saved the stock map.

Also. Could it have been in auto tune? It will run erratic while in AT mode. It returns to running normal when you save and load the finalized map.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
hey Mike,

I removed the FP3 and its been off the bike for about 3 weeks now, and those issues are still there, they havent gone anywhere!

Unfortunately!

John S

John, it’s possible the ECM lost its original program and has to be reinstalled or updated by The Stealer or an Indy with the correct computer programming.
I hope you’re able to get it all figured out Bro.
Keep Us posted.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it possible to buy a new ECM for my bike and if so will it run erratic because it’s not the original ECM that the bike came with?

Also, I think I never knew how to properly use the Vance and Hines FP3 Fuelpak correctly. I thought I was running it this whole time in auto tune mode. Isn’t the Fuelpak suppose to run in auto tune mode and not run erratic? I don’t know, I’m lost!!

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Is it possible to buy a new ECM for my bike and if so will it run erratic because it’s not the original ECM that the bike came with?

Also, I think I never knew how to properly use the Vance and Hines FP3 Fuelpak correctly. I thought I was running it this whole time in auto tune mode. Isn’t the FP3 Fuelpak suppose to run in auto tune mode and not run erratic? I don’t know, I’m lost!!
John, before You go and purchase a new ECM I would make sure that it has gone bad first.
Another thing, you could call Vance and Hines and speak to a Tech to see if someone else has had some of the same issues You're having and if they have a remedy for them.
I have a Thunder Max on My 2012 Custom and love it.
You remove the stock ECM and install the Thunder Max and off you go.
After a few trips you connect the Thundermax to Your laptop and Auto Tune it.
There are many videos on the good old interwebs about them
If you don't get any satisfaction from V&H or The Stealer it may be time to look into a different Tuner.
Do some research and find one that's to Your liking.
I hope everything works out in Your favor Brother.
Mike U.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts

Also, I think I never knew how to properly use the Vance and Hines FP3 Fuelpak correctly. I thought I was running it this whole time in auto tune mode. Isn’t the Fuelpak suppose to run in auto tune mode and not run erratic? I don’t know, I’m lost!!
No. In the auto tune it will.run like shit. It's kind if just in a learning mode so no parameters are hard set. That's the reason for the bike running erratically. Once you go in and finalize the map and load it it will run correct.

Just unplugging it will not make it go back to normal. I think even to see if your ECM is bad you need to load the Factory map back onto the bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts