Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '18 RGU and hear a tapping noise, like maybe a bad lifter. It is loudest around 2000-2100rpm. I had the dealer listen and they said "normal, the all do that". I have had another M8, and it made no noise. This is my first RG, so maybe the upper fairing is funneling sound?

·
Registered
60 Posts
My 2018 RGU also has a tapping sound. I don't know if it is normal or not. I switched to Mobile 1 synthetic and Belray in my transmission at my 1,000 mile service. I don't know if that is why I hear it more or if I hear it now that the weather is finally getting warmer.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I went from a '17 Road King M8 to the '18 FLRTXS M8 and will say that mechanical noises are more noticeable because of the fairing. Hydraulic Valve Lash Adjusters are always going to be noisier than shim under bucket valve adjusters. I have had issues on another brand bike with hydraulic valve lash adjusters and it is very noticeable from several feet away.

My '18 did have a whirring sound when new that I attributed to the new counterbalancer, but have not noticed that sound lately.

I also notice a slight tinny sound when going slow with no music or wind noise.

If a tech tells me they all do that I would ask them to prove it and hop on another bike and replicate the scenario where you heard it from your bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Engine tapping noise

I have a '18 RGU and hear a tapping noise, like maybe a bad lifter. It is loudest around 2000-2100rpm. I had the dealer listen and they said "normal, the all do that". I have had another M8, and it made no noise. This is my first RG, so maybe the upper fairing is funneling sound?
Monday I installed a set of Magnaflow Top Gun slip ons. The tapping noise is noticeably louder now. My only thoughts are a slight reduction in back pressure causing more backlash noise. I guess it could be rocker arm noise too, but the noise is more noticeable on the right side, where the lifters are. I am taking it back to dealer this weekend to listen again.:frown:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monday I installed a set of Magnaflow Top Gun slip ons. The tapping noise is noticeably louder now. My only thoughts are a slight reduction in back pressure causing more backlash noise. I guess it could be rocker arm noise too, but the noise is more noticeable on the right side, where the lifters are. I am taking it back to dealer this weekend to listen again.:frown:
I got my stethoscope and listened and the tapping is coming from the back rocker cover, not down in the case where the lifters are. If it were a bad lifter, would the noise be at the lifters or could it be at the rocker arms? I am not that familiar with these engines.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 streetglide 107 that has a full s.e. 114 stage 4 kit. I have 15500 miles on the bike sense last oct when i bought it with 35 miles on it. At 5k clutch conspirator blow part in three peaces, when my dealer called milwaukee hd they say its a know issue and described the exact break i had. Then at 8500-9000 i road 12 straight hour on that trip valve noise doubled in sound and is really really load at idle. At ~9500 tappet blows completely to peaces and have to have my whole motor replaced. I am at ~15500 miles the last two weeks the valve noise has gotten bad again, so i was riding it to hd to have then check it, hear a load metal on metal tink, then two miles down the road i get valve flutter and a sputter. Currently in the shop to find problems. These m8s are lemons.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts