Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best 6.5 to put in the fairing and lower pods? I have installed the MMats Pro Audio DTX26T Compression Driver in the fairing close to the neck of the bike. I have been through so many post on this site and others. I know alot of it is preference but I've spent quite a bit on speaker, and sent them back because I just wasn't pleased. I've had Hertz HERTZ HCX 165, Rockford Fosgate TMS65, DS18 PRO-NEO6SLIM 6.5" Midrange. Just looking for some outside opinions. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
753 Posts
Welcome from upstate NY. What did you like and not like about the HCX 165? Of the speakers you mentioned they are easily the strongest. They should have sounded much better than the RF or DS18, was that the case to your ears? What amp are you pushing them with?

Like you said about preference, there is no best speaker just like there's no best oil, seat, bars or cams. Certain stuff sounds good with certain other stuff to some people and not so hot to others. You started down a path with the horns, what drove that?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have Hertz 1650.3’s and they are great sounding. But ask around then do someone research and listen to a few You tune videos and read on each then. Deside what is right for you.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The problem with most PA style speakers (mid-bass specifically) is that they lack low end punch, so you almost need to run them with subs in addition to the tweeters. On the flip side, the PA mid-bass speakers do get loud fast.

The problem with most coax style speakers is that they have to compromise somewhere in order to get everything into a single package.

IMHO the Hertz 1650.3 is about the best sounding component setup there is, but they are pricey.

The problem all of us Roadglide owners face is "what fits" without modifying the heck out of the factory speaker locations.

I'm the last guy to harp about the Cerwin Vega Stealth bomber AMPS (I've had two myself and have installed others and I commonly recommend them for folks on a budget) but the B54 isn't a really great 4 channel AMP unless you are running very efficient speakers.

Here's my crazy thought on the subject;

Use your current B54 to power a set of PA mid-bass drivers in the lower pods using the rear channel output. Use your current B54 to power the tweeters up front using the front channel output.
Grab another B54, bridge it and run a set of ARC Moto 602 speakers in the fairing. In this scenario you'd need to have your factory head unit flashed with the "Ultra" flash to enable the rear channel outputs of the head unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts