Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this has been covered somewhere - did a search and couldn't find anything.

I have Harley Fat Apes on the way, along with the extended brake/clutch lines. I have done a bar swap before and changed brake lines, but my old bike was cable clutch. I am going to order a service manual, but it likely won't be in before I do the bars. Is the clutch line swap simple for someone that has done apes before, or is there more to it? Anyone have a link to a DIY thread?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
721 Posts
My apologies if this has been covered somewhere - did a search and couldn't find anything.

I have Harley Fat Apes on the way, along with the extended brake/clutch lines. I have done a bar swap before and changed brake lines, but my old bike was cable clutch. I am going to order a service manual, but it likely won't be in before I do the bars. Is the clutch line swap simple for someone that has done apes before, or is there more to it? Anyone have a link to a DIY thread?

Thanks in advance
My bike is in the dealer, I am puting Stage II Torque and HD Fat Ape bars.

My dealer will keep the stock lines (not replacing them). I want to save some money for other whims (chrome switch controls and master cylinder).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have having the same bars put on my 18 RGU as we speak. My OE lines would not work and also have to extend the cables. Make sure to have rags handy for drips and spills. I did my first hyd clutch line replacement on an 03 VROD when I put 14in apes on it. just take your time and make a note of the line routing and clips. Bleeding it was a pain on the V as the line looped under the trans and back up into the backside of the housing.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Thanks in advance
If you have to disconnect the brake line, it's back to the dealer to get hooked up to Digitech (ABS). As someone whose prefers to do stuff myself I did a barswap on my 14 Street Glide and will NEVER do it again! Shit of a job. I ordered my FLTRXS 18 with the new bars fitted before delivery........ Clutch is easy enough to do however getting access to bleed nipple can be a pain with headers still fitted as you can only just get the cover off and will require a 1/4" drive 3/8" socket to crack the nipple

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2017 RGS and I installed Factory 47 Bars, with 14's. It depends on the height of your bars if you will need the extra lines and wires. I did not with the 14's any higher than that and you will need the extras. Check with who your going to get your bars from, They will be able to help.

·
Registered
721 Posts
At the end, my dealer has told me that they have to change the clutch and break lines, so I will put the braided ones. A lot of money!!!! OMG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts