Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum, and just purchased the 2018 Road Glide Special. Has anyone attempted to relocate the adjuster knob for easier access? As in attach a flex tube to it, so it can be adjusted without the removal of the saddle bag? I?m considering a DIY type project because I haven?t found anything for it online. I go back and forth riding solo and two up, and pulling the bag off every time/remembering to change it back when I go solo, is becoming a hassle. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Welcome to the forum, haven’t heard of any modifications like that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can?t be tho only on who thinks it?s weird to have to remove a saddle bag off a $30k motorcycle to adjust preload settings, and risk scratching one while turning the knob? Some of the new Softails models have their adjusters our in the open. I?m wondering why the engineers at the moco didn?t adopt this for the bigger bikes.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Probably because you only need to adjust it when you are changing the load on the bike. Prepping for a two up loaded trip? Pop the saddlebag and adjust the shock.

I remove the saddlebags to clean the bike after the trip so setting it back to solo setting is not a problem for me.

How often do you think you will be adjusting the preload?

Plus, are you setting the static sag of the rear of the bike using a measuring tape to ensure you are in the right place in the stroke of the shock so that you know where to adjust it based on Solo Rider, Rider with Gear, Rider with Passenger and Gear?

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
New to the forum, and just purchased the 2018 Road Glide Special. Has anyone attempted to relocate the adjuster knob for easier access? As in attach a flex tube to it, so it can be adjusted without the removal of the saddle bag? I?m considering a DIY type project because I haven?t found anything for it online. I go back and forth riding solo and two up, and pulling the bag off every time/remembering to change it back when I go solo, is becoming a hassle. Thanks in advance.
Dude Really

It takes two seconds to put it back the way you like it for solo riding.

I guess if you feel like spending some money $$$ you could always add an air-ride system.

Nice bike by the way.

Swomack

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I kinda agree on this. They did make it easier to adjust on the softails.

If you figure it out, I'm sure lots of others would like to do it as well. Good luck.

Reactions: gizmo

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Probably because you only need to adjust it when you are changing the load on the bike. Prepping for a two up loaded trip? Pop the saddlebag and adjust the shock.

I remove the saddlebags to clean the bike after the trip so setting it back to solo setting is not a problem for me.

How often do you think you will be adjusting the preload?

Plus, are you setting the static sag of the rear of the bike using a measuring tape to ensure you are in the right place in the stroke of the shock so that you know where to adjust it based on Solo Rider, Rider with Gear, Rider with Passenger and Gear?
There?s no need to use a measuring tape on the new bikes. The thing comes with a ?general? diagram that adds rider weight plus passenger and luggage weight and tells you how many clicks to go up or down. I only weigh 160 and it?s recommended setting is 0 clicks or fully out. The recommended setting for myself and my passenger who weighs 120, is 18 clicks out of a possible 23. I ride to work every day and we ride two up at least three times a week. All I?m saying here is it seems like there would be some way to do this without removal of the bag every time. For instance, when we get home late and I forget to change it back for solo, then I?m on the way to work the next morning feeling like my spine is being jammed thru my skull, because the difference between 0 clicks and 18 is a lot.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude Really

It takes two seconds to put it back the way you like it for solo riding.

I guess if you feel like spending some money $$$ you could always add an air-ride system.

Nice bike by the way.

Swomack
Been on this forum two days, and from the limited reading I?ve been doing, somehow I knew Swomack would be weighing in lol.

You are correct, it isn?t a difficult task to change back. That being said I still think it could be made much easier considering I?m shelling out $30k. Look at any ohlins suspension with a remote reservoir. Just wondering why the MOCO didn?t do this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kinda agree on this. They did make it easier to adjust on the softails.

If you figure it out, I'm sure lots of others would like to do it as well. Good luck.
I?ll be working on this for sure. Everyone has their opinions, and in mine, this shouldn?t require removing a saddle bag.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I?ll be working on this for sure. Everyone has their opinions, and in mine, this shouldn?t require removing a saddle bag.
I look forward in seeing what you come up with brother.

Nice Bike By The Way.

Swomack

·
Registered
927 Posts
Since you change between 1up & 2up so frequently an air ride suspension could be ideal for you. You can sell the stock to off set the cost.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
There?s no need to use a measuring tape on the new bikes. The thing comes with a ?general? diagram that adds rider weight plus passenger and luggage weight and tells you how many clicks to go up or down. I only weigh 160 and it?s recommended setting is 0 clicks or fully out. The recommended setting for myself and my passenger who weighs 120, is 18 clicks out of a possible 23. I ride to work every day and we ride two up at least three times a week. All I?m saying here is it seems like there would be some way to do this without removal of the bag every time. For instance, when we get home late and I forget to change it back for solo, then I?m on the way to work the next morning feeling like my spine is being jammed thru my skull, because the difference between 0 clicks and 18 is a lot.
Unless you live where the roads are in disrepair, or you shred the curves two up, I would recommend you try two up at 0 clicks and see how it rides. If not, then try 7 clicks and maybe you will find some thing that works with both of you since you are both lightweights compared to the stereotypical Harley riders.

The Triumph Trophy I traded in on the Road King had electronically adjustable suspension. That sure was sweet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Unless you live where the roads are in disrepair, or you shred the curves two up, I would recommend you try two up at 0 clicks and see how it rides. If not, then try 7 clicks and maybe you will find some thing that works with both of you since you are both lightweights compared to the stereotypical Harley riders.

The Triumph Trophy I traded in on the Road King had electronically adjustable suspension. That sure was sweet.
Yeah man im 5’11” 160. Not your typical size bagger rider. We’ve tried zero clicks and it feels close to bottoming. Roads in vegas arent the best. Ill give your seven clicks a try tho. Plan on adding a tour pack so i think ill still be fabbing something up for it. More to come.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I look forward in seeing what you come up with brother.

Nice Bike By The Way.

Swomack
My first thought was mounting a plate to the knob and welding a flex drive to it, then wiring a small DC motor to a switch and tying it into the battery tender cable. Still get the audible clicks and it will be much easier to adjust. Shouldnt be more than $20 total.

Loving this new bike otherwise!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
My first thought was mounting a plate to the knob and welding a flex drive to it, then wiring a small DC motor to a switch and tying it into the battery tender cable. Still get the audible clicks and it will be much easier to adjust. Shouldnt be more than $20 total.

Loving this new bike otherwise!! Thanks!!
Wow

I like your thinking on this new mod idea you are having

I wasn’t busting your balls Brother

I was smiling when I wrote my smart ass remark, lol

I’ve had bikes we’re changing the preload was a real pain in the ass compared what we have currently.

Enjoy that badass new sled

I’ll be waiting to see what you do mod wise to your new sled

Swomack

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah man, i figured as much. I laughed too, knowing it’s trivial sh!t. Glad harley finally has their finger on the pulse with the new wheels and color schemes. Need a bit of refinement in the ease of use category tho IMO. The old quarter turn fasteners that held the old bags on were a nightmare waiting to happen, but they would definitely make this new suspension easier to access in a hurry.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yeah man, i figured as much. I laughed too, knowing it?s trivial sh!t. Glad harley finally has their finger on the pulse with the new wheels and color schemes. Need a bit of refinement in the ease of use category tho IMO. The old quarter turn fasteners that held the old bags on were a nightmare waiting to happen, but they would definitely make this new suspension easier to access in a hurry.
On my bags, the front retainers are the new style & rear are the 1/4. For me it is a good compromise of convenience & security, provides a bit more room than all 4 being the new style. You can change yours out to the 1/4 turn if desired.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
On my bags, the front retainers are the new style & rear are the 1/4. For me it is a good compromise of convenience & security, provides a bit more room than all 4 being the new style. You can change yours out to the 1/4 turn if desired.
Do you have a pre-rushmore bike that you added the new screw type retainers to, or the new style that you added quarters to? Either way I really like the idea of both.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Do you have a pre-rushmore bike that you added the new screw type retainers to, or the new style that you added quarters to? Either way I really like the idea of both.
Yes & No. it?s a 15 Rushmore with 1/4 turn pins. HD changed to the new style in 16. To change yours out you need the pins, washers, & retaining clip. Retaining clip removal just requires a screwdriver. When I first changed from the 1/4 pin to the new style I changed all four, kit included all 4. But then changed to the combo. The rear new style took up too much added room, and got in the way of my cooler bag that I use when I ride to work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes & No. it?s a 15 Rushmore with 1/4 turn pins. HD changed to the new style in 16. To change yours out you need the pins, washers, & retaining clip. Retaining clip removal just requires a screwdriver. When I first changed from the 1/4 pin to the new style I changed all four, kit included all 4. But then changed to the combo. The rear new style took up too much added room, and got in the way of my cooler bag that I use when I ride to work.
Any chance you still have the other set of 1/4 turns/ want to sell them?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts