Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back story;

Last month in the span of about two weeks, two of my close friends traded in their 2014 Street Glides on 2018 Road Glides. About a week later, I couldn't stand it anymore, found the color I loved and traded my 2015 RG in on a 2018 RGS.

The problem;

One of the three bikes that were purchased (one of the friends) has a distinct whistle when running 55mph+
According to Cat, it sounds like it's coming from the fairing. We have tried three different windshields - the OEM, FS Touring and FS Sport Touring. Regardless of the windshield tested, the whistling persists and it's driving her mad. We were at the dealership this last Saturday and she was raising cane with the parts and service guy, only to be told that many Road Glides have that same whistle. I call bull, because my 2015 didn't whistle, my 2018 doesn't whistle and neither does her husband's new 2018 RGS. I've had the top vent off the fairing, installed the windshields myself, and despite a less than stellar fit and finish between the inner fairing / outer fairing and top vent part, I've buttoned everything up as tight as I can fit it together. But....... the whistle still persists.

Anyone else experienced this, dealt with it, read about it and / or otherwise corrected the whistle? I'm open for all ideas and suggestions as it's apparent that the dealership is washing their hands of the matter, and it is really ruining her new experience on the Road Glide. We have also tried various configurations of the fairing vents, top and sides, open, closed, mixed etc. to no avail.

Please help. It would mean the world to me.

I suggested that we upgrade her audio so that she could just drown it out with loud music, but that's a band aid fix at best.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
My '15 has the whistle. It is a known issue and there is no shortage of owners that have it. It has to do with the way and where the air is interfacing with the fairing. Try using painters tape across the different seams and pockets in the front of the fairing to locate the side that is the culprit. I have never tried to get rid of my whistle and I don't notice it enough with the system blasting. Once you have a location pinned down try filling the spot with some foam material and recheck. If the noise is gone either utilize your fix or put it back in the dealer's hands with your newly found data and diagnostic skills. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Congrats....BIG fan of blacked out front forks...Chromed too.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
No whistle that I am aware of. I do wear are FF helmet or Modular helmet and mostly wear foam ear plugs because of the wind noise.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No whistle here,I have all the Vents open for the Summer No Whistle an Did not whistle when Closed either.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Back story;

Last month in the span of about two weeks, two of my close friends traded in their 2014 Street Glides on 2018 Road Glides. About a week later, I couldn't stand it anymore, found the color I loved and traded my 2015 RG in on a 2018 RGS.

The problem;

One of the three bikes that were purchased (one of the friends) has a distinct whistle when running 55mph+
According to Cat, it sounds like it's coming from the fairing. We have tried three different windshields - the OEM, FS Touring and FS Sport Touring. Regardless of the windshield tested, the whistling persists and it's driving her mad. We were at the dealership this last Saturday and she was raising cane with the parts and service guy, only to be told that many Road Glides have that same whistle. I call bull, because my 2015 didn't whistle, my 2018 doesn't whistle and neither does her husband's new 2018 RGS. I've had the top vent off the fairing, installed the windshields myself, and despite a less than stellar fit and finish between the inner fairing / outer fairing and top vent part, I've buttoned everything up as tight as I can fit it together. But....... the whistle still persists.

Anyone else experienced this, dealt with it, read about it and / or otherwise corrected the whistle? I'm open for all ideas and suggestions as it's apparent that the dealership is washing their hands of the matter, and it is really ruining her new experience on the Road Glide. We have also tried various configurations of the fairing vents, top and sides, open, closed, mixed etc. to no avail.

Please help. It would mean the world to me.

I suggested that we upgrade her audio so that she could just drown it out with loud music, but that's a band aid fix at best.
Two guesses, the hole in the left front axle. Road Glide Wind Deflector Kit
Part Number 57000510 may help if its not there already.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
No whistle for me. I have both the HD wind deflector kit and the Kuryakyn Lower Triple Tree Wind Deflectors installed so maybe they help. Total time to install both of these parts is ten minutes. She might want to start with those simple, inexpensive solutions to see if it helps. If it doesn't, both parts are great for reducing buffeting anyway.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two guesses, the hole in the left front axle. Road Glide Wind Deflector Kit
Part Number 57000510 may help if its not there already.
Never even considered that it could be coming from that far forward. We'll start taping stuff off and riding / experimenting.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Never even considered that it could be coming from that far forward. We'll start taping stuff off and riding / experimenting.
My mistake, right side of the axle.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
No personal knowledge, but I've read that it comes from the headlight area. The fix is to stuff foam somewhere. Sorry I can't be more specific, but this may give you a place to search.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No personal knowledge, but I've read that it comes from the headlight area. The fix is to stuff foam somewhere. Sorry I can't be more specific, but this may give you a place to search.
Thanks for all the responses everyone. It seems like the issue is hit and miss but goes all the way back to the initial release of the Rushmore Road Glide. Guess that some of us have been lucky, and others not so much.

We'll make sure that the axle hole is facing forward / aft and throw a piece of tape over it. I'll also put a piece of tape between the bottom part of the front fairing and the lower part of the headlight housing and see if that cures it. If so, we can go to work implementing long term fixes. I hope so, because I hate it that she's so upset about it. I've always raved about what a great bike my 2015 was, and how happy I was that I went with the Shark instead of the Bat Wing. Other than that, she seems to love the bike, but the whistle is a real pain point right now.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
My 18 RGS has developed this whistle as well. It happens at around 75 mph or higher. The only way I can get it to go away is to put my hand inside the channel on the fairing vent. Then it goes away. When I pull my hand back, the whistle returns. Looking at the two lower channels it looks like the Right one isnt as lined up as the left one. Not sure if that is the reason or not.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have 3 different size windshields. I wear a FF with ear plugs and the stock windshield . Never heard a whistle at any speed. All vents always open.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And I was thinking the source of the whistle was the Madstad, I guess not then. Sigh.
Probably not............... unfortunately. I'll keep everyone posted as I start trying to track it down and eliminate. I read in another post that Harley was selling some sort of gasket kit for the top cowling piece as a result of the whistling, but for the world of me I can't find it in the Harley parts book or over at Ronnies.

My plan of action;

1. Make sure the front axle hole is pointing forward
2. Tape off the front between the fairing and lower headlamp housing
3. Start taping off various spots around the fairing

·
Registered
487 Posts
No whistle at any speed on my 18 RGS with the vents open or shut. Has someone else ridden the bike to see if it makes the noise for them?

Reactions: RGKen

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use 3 different shields through out the year along with using different helmets on my 2016 RGS and I do not hear any whistles. Maybe its the M8 engine whistling.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
First ive heard of it...in discussion or my bike!! I have a Madstad also..good luck and let us know!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts