Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want get a few opinions and I’m sure it’s been asked for my specific bike. I have a 2018 RGU. Looking for opinions on upgrading the sound system as I ride pretty hard and in large packs. I have Apple phone and would like to replace the head unit to have the car play feature. Listen to a wide variety of music including country and metal. Not interested in pounding bass, more highs and mids. Would like to keep the factory stereo controls on the bars. Want quality products and would prefer plug n play if possible but can do minor re-wiring if needed. I will install myself. I have no problem purchasing specific components to make a bad ass system but would also consider kits. Give me some suggestions please.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I too just decided to upgrade the system in my ’18 RGS, and after a ton of research I just ordered the Biketronics plug and play amp and speaker package. I am not an audiophile type, but I did want something that sounded decent while cruising down the road and that I could actually hear at highway speeds. I also wanted an easy install that didn’t require a bunch of tweaking to make it work right and the Biketronics kits seemed to fit the bill perfectly. As for the head unit, I decided to stay with my original, but the one everyone seems to be going with is the Sony XAV-AX5000. I do know that Biketronics offers it in a plug and play kit as well, so if you decide to go the kit route I high recommend that you give Donna a call, I have found their customer service to be some of the best I have ever dealt with. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I too just decided to upgrade the system in my ’18 RGS, and after a ton of research I just ordered the Biketronics plug and play amp and speaker package. I am not an audiophile type, but I did want something that sounded decent while cruising down the road and that I could actually hear at highway speeds. I also wanted an easy install that didn’t require a bunch of tweaking to make it work right and the Biketronics kits seemed to fit the bill perfectly. As for the head unit, I decided to stay with my original, but the one everyone seems to be going with is the Sony XAV-AX5000. I do know that Biketronics offers it in a plug and play kit as well, so if you decide to go the kit route I high recommend that you give Donna a call, I have found their customer service to be some of the best I have ever dealt with. Good luck with your project!
And I also discovered when I placed my order that if you buy your amp from them, they have a device that you can either rent or buy from them that will allow you to self-perform the “flash” to the stock head unit. I thought that was a pretty cool service they offer, but obviously it is not needed if you go the aftermarket head unit route.

·
Registered
974 Posts
First post needs a hearty welcome....Hearty Welcome!:nerd:
Second the BT....6 yrs and still rocking, 4180, 4 speaks...pure enjoyment

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Not saying soundz is not a good system, but dam look at the price. For that money I would give my bike to Alex and let him go crazy.
Look at the Soundz amp, look familiar?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at possibly ARC Audio MPAK 10 with the DSP AND 4x Hertz speakers and keeping the stock head unit fit now. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Not saying soundz is not a good system, but dam look at the price. For that money I would give my bike to Alex and let him go crazy.

Look at the Soundz amp, look familiar?
What you want will dictate price... a great 2 speaker system that rocks you can get for under $1100... plus install.
Iron 65's and SS2.150 amp

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Not a diamond amp. MMatts amp. Big long thread on the other forum about it.

Again, not knocking it at all.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Looking to do all 4x speakers
Research Research Research. Listen to a bunch of systems and find one you like. Ask questions.

Other forum has a best 2 speaker system setup thread by Alex.

Audio is like seats what works for one doesn't work for the next guy so do your research, and spend wisely.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Research Research Research. Listen to a bunch of systems and find one you like. Ask questions.
One other word of advice.... try to focus on sound systems installed on Road Glides. On SG's you can ditch the pods and use the pod eliminators to free up space for deep basket / larger magnet speakers. The SG guys also seem to have more flexibility in AMP size and mounting locations.

We don't have that luxury on the Sharks. The speakers have to fit in the pods, unless you want to use spacers or cut relief holes in the pods to clear the deeper baskets / larger magnets.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Good point Wev. Im not in the know with the rushmore models dealing with the pods. Alex's thread is on his RG though.
I was almost at that point this morning though. I was real close trading in my money sucking RG this morning. Not going to derail the thread though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
After hundreds of hours of research, I finally pulled the trigger on my setup for my 2016 RGU. I went with the Sony 5000 radio, Mmats 4110 amp, and 4 Mmats 601.4cx speakers. I have not installed it yet (not everything has been delivered) but I will report back when I do.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts