Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a lot of people are wondering and have asked me, I did some checking into retro fitting the new touring radios into 18-older Rushmore models.

While it will physically bolt up and wire up, it will not work. The radio, at powerup, looks for the VIN and if it’s not a ‘19 model, it won’t power up.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Since a lot of people are wondering and have asked me, I did some checking into retro fitting the new touring radios into 18-older Rushmore models.

While it will physically bolt up and wire up, it will not work. The radio, at powerup, looks for the VIN and if it’s not a ‘19 model, it won’t power up.
Really !!!

IMO that's total BS

Just My Opinion

Swomack

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Really !!!

IMO that's total BS

Just My Opinion

Swomack

I would agree the MOCO could make a decent amount off of people that would like to upgrade to the better radio. Maybe if they hear enough people complaining/asking, they’ll release a software patch so they can be used in 18-older

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would agree the MOCO could make a decent amount off of people that would like to upgrade to the better radio. Maybe if they hear enough people complaining/asking, they’ll release a software patch so they can be used in 18-older
IF that happened the real question would be "is it really worth it?" The new HU goes for $1900 by itself and that is a steep price to pay for a head unit upgrade.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IF that happened the real question would be "is it really worth it?" The new HU goes for $1900 by itself and that is a steep price to pay for a head unit upgrade.

Very true but some people pay that amount or more for aftermarket stereo upgrades without even blinking.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Very true but some people pay that amount or more for aftermarket stereo upgrades without even blinking.
True enough, and eventually used Boom GTS units will become available when folks do go aftermarket. It'd be nice to be able to snag one of those and retrofit it into a older model.

·
Registered
938 Posts
While the new boom unit is better than the old, it’s still junk as far as sound quality. For about $850 you can get a very good Sony unit with a tinted rain cover from biketronics that has apple carplay and Android auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Every thing that is different between versions of the RG is a reason for a customer to upgrade. Why should they give that up? [other than it is the right thing to do]

·
Registered
31 Posts
While the new boom unit is better than the old, it’s still junk as far as sound quality. For about $850 you can get a very good Sony unit with a tinted rain cover from biketronics that has apple carplay and Android auto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I really don’t think the sound quality is any better on the 2019 than the 2018 I have. I’d rather have a high power unit with great sound than the 2019 HU

·
Registered
685 Posts
So the question becomes what criteria does it use to establish if the VIN is a 19, and can that part of the firmware be accessed/modified.

Any type of table or list would take up too much space, so there is a good chance that it is only testing 1 or 2 characters (date code) in the VIN string ... So it could (theoretically) be an easy hack for someone with the right skill-set.

Sometimes cost and practicality aren't nearly as important as curiosity and creativity. i.e. This is why I have fully working late model self canceling turn signals on my 1981 Shovelhead ... I just wanted to see if I could pull it off - And I did.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I predict that by September 2020, the "new" head unit will be magically compatible with 2014-18 models. By then, anyone who would be tempted to upgrade to a 2019 model or later to get the new Infotainment system will have done so and H-D will be tired (or proven incapable) of supporting multiple versions of the Infotainment System software. As a 2015 owner, I'm not holding my breath for any more software updates for my unit.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
As for the HU, I guess it depends on what is important to you - Apple Car Play & Android Auto are good but need Voice Assistance to really function and unless you are wearing a mic'ed up full face........means nada - The Glare issue I get but to be honest, most I know plug their phone in the glove box and stream music.....and you can control it with your thumb without having to look at the screen - Now, GPS, yes, you need to see it but I have found by turning the voice guidance up, you don't need to even look at the screen....the voice tells me what i need to know

All and all, not concerned about a new HU one bit as in my real world usage, it means jack shit......but thats just me

·
Registered
462 Posts
I can't say that it would be a big deal for me. I am using my USB stick for music. I do use the navigation once in a great while but not enough to want to trade or try to retro fit. There should be updates consistently as needed to make the operating systems work properly. So I think we will still see updates for the older units. As far as compatibility it really depends on the other controllers and the wiring harness if it is capable. As well as the can-bus system talking to make everything work together. Just my thoughts....

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That depends on you phone I suppose. Only say that because listening to Pandora on my old phone I couldn't skip and the screen wouldn't show the current song. On my new phone I can skip a song and will show current song.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Really, I've not figured that one out yet, how to skip songs using hand controls....please do tell.
iPhone 7+.......Pluged into USB Dongle in right glove box - Pandora App opened and playing......plug phone in.....turn bike on.......if it does not automatically default to playing, Select Media and your phone......as it plays.....left thumb control joy stick pushed to the right advances the song

·
Registered
485 Posts
iPhone 7+.......Pluged into USB Dongle in right glove box - Pandora App opened and playing......plug phone in.....turn bike on.......if it does not automatically default to playing, Select Media and your phone......as it plays.....left thumb control joy stick pushed to the right advances the song

I’ve been playing that way just never figured the skipping songs, thank you! Just realized, Pandora, I was using my I-tunes...I’ll update if that works, I’ll update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts