Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whilst I know that I can buy the newer headunit for my 2018 RG will one pulled from a 2019 or 2020 bike plug and play in my 2018 or do I have to do something else

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
192 Posts
A used HU from a ‘19 or ‘20 will work in you ‘18. But you will have to take it to your dealer to have it flashed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A used HU from a ‘19 or ‘20 will work in you ‘18. But you will have to take it to your dealer to have it flashed.

Thanks . Now I just have to find one

·
Registered
192 Posts
eBay for 1300 to 1600. There are 3 up for sale now.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Whilst I know that I can buy the newer headunit for my 2018 RG will one pulled from a 2019 or 2020 bike plug and play in my 2018 or do I have to do something else

The original deck from a 19-20 will work in a 14-18 bike once you do the following:

Using a 19-20 bike( or a 19-20 ECM your 14-18 bike)....Update to MY19 update(March 2020 or later) via usb

Do a complete factory reset of the head unit ( required to allow the reftrofit to be compatible)

Remove from 19 bike ( or put your original ECM back in)

Done... this is what i did on mine

FYI... the orignal part numbers are now superceded with an 'A' at the end of the part numbers for RGs and SGs... the A models are a direct replacement... nothing required... the NON 'A' models need the above procedure to work in 14-18

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: copytec

·
Registered
192 Posts
The original deck from a 19-20 will work in a 14-18 bike once you do the following:

Using a 19-20 bike( or a 19-20 ECM your 14-18 bike)....Update to MY19 update(March 2020 or later) via usb

Do a complete factory reset of the head unit ( required to allow the reftrofit to be compatible)

Remove from 19 bike ( or put your original ECM back in)

Done... this is what i did on mine

Spazz

They have fix the firmware on the GTS so you only need to have it flashed once connected to a 14 to 18 bike.

I should say that is according to H-D support.

If your pulling it from a older bike make sure it has the latest update to the GTS was what I was told. My buddy wants to do it on his ‘15 CVO.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Spazz

They have fix the firmware on the GTS so you only need to have it flashed once connected to a 14 to 18 bike.

I should say that is according to H-D support.

If your pulling it from a older bike make sure it has the latest update to the GTS was what I was told. My buddy wants to do it on his ‘15 CVO.

Still need a factory reset to ensure the software update takes... without it, I got the 'NOT COMPATIBLE ' message on the screen

Reactions: Jblohm

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is the benefit of buying a used 19-20 head unit for that amount of money versus just buying a new unit of a different brand with all the current features you want? Im asking this because my stereo in my 18 is lacking to say the least. It’s very slow on Bluetooth discovery/connection. It’s not very loud (speakers suck). This is on the list of soon to be upgraded items. When I do tear into it, it’s all getting done at once.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
What is the benefit of buying a used 19-20 head unit for that amount of money versus just buying a new unit of a different brand with all the current features you want? Im asking this because my stereo in my 18 is lacking to say the least. It’s very slow on Bluetooth discovery/connection. It’s not very loud (speakers suck). This is on the list of soon to be upgraded items. When I do tear into it, it’s all getting done at once.
Its quicker.... ANDROID AUTO is now available and compared to aftermarket decks... its WATERPROOF... not just water resistant.

With the right audio components... this deck rocks!

Here is a 2020 SGS I did a while back

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah the deck is wayyy faster to load and response is better.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Reactions: kunzjob
1 - 14 of 14 Posts