Road Glide banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah I saw that in the instructions that came with kit. Didn't know anything about that but there is a picture with the tranny side cover off and pointing to the piece that needs to be removed.

Much thanks to all who have provided input on this, looks like an easy job. I'll update when I get it completed in the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I had the 1000 mile service done by the dealer and I have the vent in the primary. At 4700 miles last week and it just keeps getting harder to shift. So I decide to change out the Oil they put in to Redline that I have used for 25 years. Drained the engine and measured exactly 4 qts came out . Drained the Trans measured and 27 oz came out . Drained the primary and 40 some oz came out(attached photo). Went Friday to get my new rotors put on and talked to them about the oil and showed the photos but they say it’s from the trans and they have to change the oil and then document the levels.
Im positive the oil didn’t come from the trans cause I checked it religiously from the 1000 service. They can’t just check the levels and document them they want 110 bucks to change and then document.
Harley says to only add 4qts of oil at first when changing the oil and filter. I drained exactly 4 qts out and lost what came out of the filter. So I used the new larger filter and it took almost 5 qts of oil to bring the level to 1/2 qt low. Why so much oil? I believe to much pressure is causing it to go past the crank seal so I will run it 1/2 qt low and see if that makes any difference.
I really don’t want to deal with Harley over this cause it pisses me off they try and gouge you for another 100 when you have a problem that their fault.
4C59E993-6CBB-4F75-8B31-436228C6F008.jpeg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Smitty...good info! Sounds like it's great advice to closely track mileage and oil levels in all 3 holes on the M8. Even if you have one with the vent installed. And I don't subscribe to the HD method of just 'run it for 1,000 miles and come back'. For some bikes that may be too long. I'm going to track it at about half that until I get a good read on my situation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
In my 2019 RG Special it came with the vent tube installed from the factory. guess halfway through the year they started doing it. So far so good with mine but I keep a close eye on it nonetheless. Hope yours works out for you as well. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
I was told migration doesn't kick in sometimes until the 4k or 8k mark. So someone might not have migration and then it happens later on. It's a Harley design fuck up and every m8 that doesn't have the vent should be fitted free of charge. It should be a recall. I call bs on some not migrating. They all most likely will. Just fix the it Harley, it's not a big job. Jeez

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I agree with Gotchu99...but some things never change. This is exactly how they handled the TC88 cam chain tensioner issue when the twinky came out in early 2000's. Over time, most learned it was something to keep an eye on because if you didn't and the tensioner shoe material wore away too far, would break apart and little plastic pieces got pushed through your oil passages. Some had catastrophic failure from this. And it typically didn't happen until about 20K-30K miles so most warranty's were long gone by then. Dealers didn't even have tensioner checks as part of the normal service schedule but about 6 years later they came up with a different design (hydraulic tensioner setup). I checked mine at 25K miles for the first time and the inner was close to grenading. From that point on it was part of my periodic inspection until I finally installed the upgraded tensioner setup at about 50K miles.

For the average M8 bike, if you have the dealer do your oil changes they won't take the time to measure fluids removed to identify if the bike has the fluid migration issue. I predict after a few years we will hear about a high number of tranny failures due to all that time running with low oil levels from the migration issue that nobody was paying attention to. But most of them will happen way after warranty expires so that's a win for HD ($$$).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Been 470 miles since my last 'top-off' of fluids. Dug into it today to put in the Primary vent kit. I measured about 10oz extra in the Primary with nothing showing on the tranny dipstick so I def got a pretty good case of the migration issue...glad I didn't listen to HD and ride for 1,000 miles.

Not hard to install...just pop primary cover off, drill the hole and pull the rubber vent hose through. It's ALU so any hand drill will go right through it no problem. I used the template that came with the kit and a punch to dimple the surface making it easy to get a pilot hole into the right spot. Hole location is way up top/right in a small pocket cast into the primary so the shavings don't go all over the place but I protected clutch assy with rags.

I downloaded a PDF of HD 2019 Touring Model Service Manual I found on-line. It also included the Electrical Diagnostics manual so that was a score for $39.

As mentioned by others on this thread, the 'kit' instructions are kind of vague on this but at the very end they say to inspect for a 'deflector' at tranny main shaft on right side of bike. If it's there, remove it...that's all it says. Following Svc Manual guidance, to get clearance for tranny outer/inner cover removal requires exhaust to be loosened/removed. The kit did not include any gaskets for this so I'm going to tackle that another time when I get needed parts.

I'll go another 500 miles and see if things improve after putting in vent. Maybe mine does not even have the 'deflector' anyway?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Reactions: Jblohm
21 - 29 of 29 Posts