Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for upgrading the rear suspension on my 2019 RGS. Usually riding longer trips with 300 to 500 miles per, mostly around 300. Ride solo with luggage, which adds about 450 l
If anyone has experience with one or both of these brands shares his preference with us? I appreciate if add details why you prefer the one or the othter.
The Brux

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I recently installed Ohlins Blackline 774's on my 20 Road Glide Special. I honestly don't have a good reason for picking them over the Legends. I will reiterate what everyone says, "Anything you choose will be better than stock". The 774's are a direct replacement in length (12 in) for the stock shocks. I wanted the ride height to remain the same. The shocks are great and a huge improvement in ride and handling. As you read other posts some will suggest going to the 13 inch length for the additional travel. I'm not a large person, 5' 9", 180 lbs and ride solo so the travel on the 774's is sufficient for me.

Hope this helps and doesn't just create confusion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don’t have experience with Ohlins but my very experienced sales rep recommended them and I read very good reviews and they seem to have a long track record of quality suspension upgrades so seems like a safe bet.

I like’d what I read about Legend; went that route and am very pleased with the result. My first 1,000 miles were with the stock suspension. Then I upgraded and it was an immediately noticeable and substantial improvement.

I installed:
LEGEND STANDARD AXEO FLH FRONT END SUSPENSION (0414-0516)
LEGEND 13" BLACK REVO-A FLH REAR SUSPENSION (1310-0959)

·
Registered
8,565 Posts
Not sure about the 2 mentioned, but the SuperShox '13" travel ' shocks still sit your ride as 12 " oem ride height.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I recently installed Ohlins Blackline 774's on my 20 Road Glide Special. I honestly don't have a good reason for picking them over the Legends. I will reiterate what everyone says, "Anything you choose will be better than stock". The 774's are a direct replacement in length (12 in) for the stock shocks. I wanted the ride height to remain the same. The shocks are great and a huge improvement in ride and handling. As you read other posts some will suggest going to the 13 inch length for the additional travel. I'm not a large person, 5' 9", 180 lbs and ride solo so the travel on the 774's is sufficient for me.

Hope this helps and doesn't just create confusion.
Thanks, the Harley dealer prefers the Legends. I am still not sure, I am German and Ohlins‘ office shop is in NC not far from where I am living. I may check with them, too. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had purchased the low end Ohlins for mine to save money and while they are obviously better then stock, I want a little more of a softer ride, if that's possible.....after much research, I purchased 13" Legends Revo A. I'm sure if I upgraded to the next model up in Ohlins I would have been satisfied as well but wanted to try another brand. Almost bought 12" again but when talking to Legends Support they highly recommended there 13" indicating once the 1" sag is adjusted, it will put you back to OEM height when sitting on the bike. And supposedly adds another inch of travel. Anxious to see what the results will be.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yup, anything better than stock,yes. I went with the SuperShox as they keep the ride hieght the same and give 3.5 inches of travel and are hand adjustable as needed...Immensely better! Best of luck on choosing.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I’m very happy with the Ohlins on my ‘11 RGU. You should send Smarty a message here on the forum. He’s an Ohlin rep/sales/installer and very knowledgeable.

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I’m very happy with the Ohlins on my ‘11 RGU. You should send Smarty a message here on the forum. He’s an Ohlin rep/sales/installer and very knowledgeable.

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado
+1
Smarty recently dialed me in on a set of Ohlins. I couldn’t be happier with the improvement. He makes it such a smooth transaction and install with plenty of communication. The shocks came to me all set for my riding weight and sag was the only thing we went over during install.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I run the Progressive 970s w reservoir mounts. They rock vs OEM stock. Fully adjustable on the fly. Couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's like the Ford or Chevy argument. I run legends. But have run diff shocks as well. I been satisfied with everything I've had. As long as it's not the stock pos Harley puts on a 30k bike. Smh

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm curious how these reservoirs are mounted. I can't tell from the pic.
They mount In front of the bags. On the bag support frame on each side.

Stock photo from their website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ah, thank you. Hard to tell with the close-ups. I have saddlebag guards there and passenger footboards nearby too. When I was considering the remote reservoirs, that was the issue. Hard to find a convenient place to mount them. I decided it was still a big improvement without them. Interesting to see your solution through. Thank you!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Firstly - Hope everyone and their families are doing well in these trying times !!

So im in similar dilemma.. so my question is on rebuilds... I've read that Ohlins might need to be rebuilt after 20K or 40K .. Are the legends the same? same time? price? anyone had any insights or experience..

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have Ohlins and love them. I did have them “rebuilt” at 35000 miles but I didn’t feel any difference. I’m sure I could have gone much longer before I needed to have them rebuilt.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Last time I submitted a question through their website I got a same-day response. That’d be the most authoritative answer. If you pursue it directly with them, please post their response.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts