Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am interested in doing this. just wanted to float my dealers price out there and see what you guys thought ...total for parts and labor is 3559,00 ....this includes a Fullsac mx header and auto tuner, SE 3 kit and labor . Obviously it brings me to a 117 and my machine will be jacked....but is it really worth it? Any opinions are welcome! Thx bros!

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Just depends on if you value your warranty and if you trust the new setup to not have any issues.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just depends on if you value your warranty and if you trust the new setup to not have any issues.

well since its all SE and done by harley the warranty is extended by 2 years on the SE parts in addition to the two year bike warranty

·
Registered
540 Posts
What is it that you're looking for out of a "jacked" 117? Your first problem is assuming your SE Stage 3 is going to be jacked- it will be watered down and mild compared to what you could do with an aftermarket stage 3 setup that doesn't have all the EPA crap on it.

I think you're spending a lot of money for nothing- $3500 to go up from a 114 to a 117? It's your money and your machine, but if it were me and I was worried about warranty and ESP etc., I'd opt for the torque cam with your updated header/pipe/air cleaner upgrades, spend less money and have a really nice 114 that probably won't be too far off from where you'd be at on the 117 build anyway.

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
540 Posts
That is incorrect, unless your wording just throws me off. If your parts are installed in the first 60 days, the SE parts will be covered under the SAME two year warranty as the bike- they don't add any additional time on the warranty.

well since its all SE and done by harley the warranty is extended by 2 years on the SE parts in addition to the two year bike warranty

·
Registered
342 Posts
A good after market cam, slip ons and a/c along with tuning will exceed a se 117 setup. Lot less work and money. If you are using aftermarket header and tuner I believe engine warranty is gone

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A good after market cam, slip ons and a/c along with tuning will exceed a se 117 setup. Lot less work and money. If you are using aftermarket header and tuner I believe engine warranty is gone

Thanks man. Yeah i think after reading things, im going to do a bit of research.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Fuel Moto is a great place to start- they have a lot of dyno charts for review, so you can see how the different cams perform and also compare the 117" numbers to an aftermarket cam. It's also worth a call to Jim over at Board Tracker H-D..... he also sells ESP's that are cheaper than the Harley version and they would also most likely cover your aftermarket stuff, where the H-D one will not.

Let us know what you decide!

Thanks man. Yeah i think after reading things, im going to do a bit of research.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
That DX pipe ain't HD. I've got one on my bike. Hope you (or anyone else) don't run into a problem with the new bikes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What is it that you're looking for out of a "jacked" 117? Your first problem is assuming your SE Stage 3 is going to be jacked- it will be watered down and mild compared to what you could do with an aftermarket stage 3 setup that doesn't have all the EPA crap on it.

I think you're spending a lot of money for nothing- $3500 to go up from a 114 to a 117? It's your money and your machine, but if it were me and I was worried about warranty and ESP etc., I'd opt for the torque cam with your updated header/pipe/air cleaner upgrades, spend less money and have a really nice 114 that probably won't be too far off from where you'd be at on the 117 build anyway.

I agree with this ^

After checking out the SE dyno graphs provided by HD, the stage 3 is only a slight improvement over the stage 2 but the cost is significantly more. What solidified my decision for stage 2 over a stage 3 is that the sumping issue seems to be more prevalent in the engines with stage 3 and 4s. I also chose to stick with the SE because I want the warranty and ESP to remain intact. Lastly, I did choose to put a few hundred more $ in and get the auto tuner, which should help the Stage 2 a little more... I know it's not as significant as third-party performance parts, but if $#it goes wrong, HD is going to fix it... :wink:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with this ^

After checking out the SE dyno graphs provided by HD, the stage 3 is only a slight improvement over the stage 2 but the cost is significantly more. What solidified my decision for stage 2 over a stage 3 is that the sumping issue seems to be more prevalent in the engines with stage 3 and 4s. I also chose to stick with the SE because I want the warranty and ESP to remain intact. Lastly, I did choose to put a few hundred more $ in and get the auto tuner, which should help the Stage 2 a little more... I know it's not as significant as third-party performance parts, but if $#it goes wrong, HD is going to fix it... :wink:

thank you for the info man! how is the stage 2?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I did the Stage IV kit, MX header and S&S MK45 cans.
So far I'm really happy with it.

I went this route because of the issues with the M8 motor. Are there more powerful 117's out there? Probably. I'm just not ready to buy the motor - yet.

After 4 more years (my ESP length) the M8 will be much more understood by the aftermarket. If I feel it lacking I'll look into changing it then.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts

Truth^

The tune will be a MoCo/EPA approved 14.7:1 vanella map. And since the dealer is willing to void your warranty by removing the cat, I would have reservations letting them do anything to the scooter.

That thing goes balls up near home, and gets drug back to that dealer, then all is well. The dealer who did the tampering isn't going to rat on himself. But if it were to say sump, 300 miles from home, then it'll go to the nearest dealer, unless you pay to tow it home. And the nearest dealer has no reason to ignore the aftermarket exhaust, especially with exhaust being one of the things they are supposed to check for tampering.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts