Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if the rgs comes ready to use sirius radio?
All I see is the the cvo comes ready, what about the special?

I can't seem to get an answer on this on the web.

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
Only the CVO models come with Sat radio guts installed and 3 month trial subscription.

All other models that have the factory installed infotainment require a P&A purchase of the module, antennae package and a "flash" of the stock radio for usage.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you want XM on a 19 get the XM package that allows you to use the online/app and stream it through CarPlay. With all the streaming apps available these days and CarPlay on the new GTS radio....I can't see a reason why anyone would put the XM module on a 19.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you want XM on a 19 get the XM package that allows you to use the online/app and stream it through CarPlay. With all the streaming apps available these days and CarPlay on the new GTS radio....I can't see a reason why anyone would put the XM module on a 19.
Some people cant burn up their Data, others like me want to have service when I ride in an area with poor cell service which happens a lot in the Western US.

Also if you don't have a XM subscription already the the online only is fairly expensive unless something has changed there

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Some people cant burn up their Data, others like me want to have service when I ride in an area with poor cell service which happens a lot in the Western US.

Also if you don't have a XM subscription already the the online only is fairly expensive unless something has changed there
I get that. My XM experience is that it drops the signal more often then my phone.

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
I looked at streaming Sirius using my phone but when travelling south of the 49th, the roaming charges for my cell would be astronomical.

The hardwired version was a better way to go and then I only keep it activated for 6 months during the late spring, summer and early fall. Then cancel again until the next spring.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a 2011 FLTRUSE with Sirius. The signal dropped more than it was worth. Cancelled after the first year.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
The Unit itself is like $300 bones I think and then the install charge if you are not technically inclined......such as I am not.

With App Streaming in 2019, Data and Non Roaming charges being a thing of the past, I would suggest plugging your phone in and using the Sirius XM App - Streaming Music does not eat as much Data as you would think - The OL and I share 10GB a month in our Data Plan and during riding season, I am streaming Music from 8a until about 5p every Sat and Sun, so 8 days a month of basically 8 hours a day of music and I have never even come close to our 10GB limit - I know it is expensive, but my Verizon Phone works pretty much everywhere and I only really had a problem when in the Hill of SW during Cherokee......for a min or so and then BA'AM, signal back on - Roaming is no longer even an issue and Data has gotten to be VERY cheap......rework your plan or carrier and stream the tunes man!

Just my .02

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Unit itself is like $300 bones I think and then the install charge if you are not technically inclined......such as I am not.

With App Streaming in 2019, Data and Non Roaming charges being a thing of the past, I would suggest plugging your phone in and using the Sirius XM App - Streaming Music does not eat as much Data as you would think - The OL and I share 10GB a month in our Data Plan and during riding season, I am streaming Music from 8a until about 5p every Sat and Sun, so 8 days a month of basically 8 hours a day of music and I have never even come close to our 10GB limit - I know it is expensive, but my Verizon Phone works pretty much everywhere and I only really had a problem when in the Hill of SW during Cherokee......for a min or so and then BA'AM, signal back on - Roaming is no longer even an issue and Data has gotten to be VERY cheap......rework your plan or carrier and stream the tunes man!

Just my .02
What he said. I stream Sirius on BT from my phone often and the app works great.

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts

Just my .02

U.S telco carriers have way more competition than north of the border, and that gives you guys way better deals on cell phone rates and service. We have 3 major carriers in Canada, Telus, Rogers and Bell. All the little guys are owned by one of these 3 big guys. Can you say Monopoly, COLLUSION?

Hell I get roaming when I go to Saskatchewan (easy to draw a pain in the A$$ to spell)!! The whole province is flat for hundreds of miles in any direction, you can see your dog running away for 3 days, you can literally see the curvature of the earth by standing on a hockey puck; cell towers need only be every 100 miles and they don't even have 1,000,000 people in the whole province. But when you cross the straw curtain at the border and enter "Sasktel" land, and the land of the wandering combines; Bend Over!

My phone always warns me when I get near the US border, my carrier, Telus, sends me a text, "Whoop, whoop, whoop, you are entering or dangerously close to the US of A, your cell phone data rates are about to skyrocket" I exaggerate of course for comedic affect but not by much!

More power to those that can stream and not incur the data charges and yes out in the western US cell service still does "disappear for miles at a time". I use those times to think, ponder and reflect and we all know that nothing good comes from when Troy has time to think.

How many beer cans can I fit on my head at once? What is the formula for the surface area of half a sphere? Is my head shape a sphere or a 3d ellipse?
Who came up with the system for hat sizes? Why is my head a 7 1/4 hat size?
What is the perfect depth of a swimming pool to maximize the splash from a cannonball and yet still not leave me with broken ankles?
What is the perfect body angle for entry into the water to maximize the splash affect? More back than butt and feet, slightly rolled ahead? Should I release my legs at the point of entry into the water?
Can I do a cannonball and keep the beer can on my head?
Can you remove the front lowers and the liquid cooling system on a Rushmore Ultra and have it run like a regular M8 special without lowers?
Are the heads from a non liquid cooled Twin Cam interchangeable with liquid cooled Twin Cam heads; unbolt, replace, bolt up and play?
How does the ECM know all that stuff?
How many lakes are there in Minnesota?
Who would win in an aquarium fight between a lobster and a king crab?
Why is Don Lemon named after a fruit? Why isn't he Don Orange or Don Lime or Don Grapefruit?
Will Tampa win the Stanley Cup, a Florida based team winning the toughest to win trophy in professional sport?
Why is there a team in Tampa? Tampa.....that sounds a lot like tamp'n
I wonder if I have cell phone service again?

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Even if I'm not streaming I still have a TON of music on my phone I can listen to for nothing.

I personally think XM sucks, not only for the fact that I loose the signal at the drop of a hat.......they play the same songs OVER and OVER and OVER. Even on Hair Nation station or 80s on 8, where there is literally millions of songs, I hear the same ones like 4 times a day. Not hating on cats that like XM, I just have no use for it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cut Off My Nose.....

I have six vehicles that are SiriusXM capable. If I take their cheapest subscription @ 11.00 per month we're talking 66.00 or 792.00 a year and still no right to listen to it in the house. Until Sirius changes their subscription options (family plan/six pack?) I just won't play.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I added the XM module to my 2017 RGU. It is an easy install and on the good side you do not need to have the bike flashed after install. Once the module is installed the radio will recognize it when powered up, tune in the XM stations you want to listen to and you're good to go.
Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
I like using Pandora for streaming. They have a free tier you can use to try it out that has commercials and a few other limitations. The cheapest paid tier is $5 a month. Comes with zero commercials and higher quality sound, among other perks.

With Pandora you create your own personalized radio stations by telling the app which bands or songs you like and it starts playing those and similar music. They also have premade stations to use as a starting point. Using the thumbs up and down buttons on songs helps dial in the station to know what you like and don't like. Once you use it for awhile it will start downloading some songs to your phone and if you lose cell signal it will switch from streaming mode to using the downloaded songs.

Like others have said it doesn't use as much data as you might think, and you can also set most streaming apps to a lower sound quality that will use even less data. To my ears even the low quality streaming options sound better than Sirius XM over satellite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I like using Pandora for streaming. They have a free tier you can use to try it out that has commercials and a few other limitations. The cheapest paid tier is $5 a month. Comes with zero commercials and higher quality sound, among other perks.

With Pandora you create your own personalized radio stations by telling the app which bands or songs you like and it starts playing those and similar music. They also have premade stations to use as a starting point. Using the thumbs up and down buttons on songs helps dial in the station to know what you like and don't like. Once you use it for awhile it will start downloading some songs to your phone and if you lose cell signal it will switch from streaming mode to using the downloaded songs.

Like others have said it doesn't use as much data as you might think, and you can also set most streaming apps to a lower sound quality that will use even less data. To my ears even the low quality streaming options sound better than Sirius XM over satellite.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
If you like Pandora try Spotify.....WAY better.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts