Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying I'm not a mechanic . I'm going to describe this the best I know how. I have a 2019 RGS. I've had it for about 3 week. So far all I've done to the bike is add some slip ons and changed out the bars. Yesterday I took it in to my local Harley dealer for the 1000 miles service. It was at about 1150 miles. When I picked up the bike I was told everything was good and the bike checked out perfectly. Today I got on the bike and rode about 10 miles on the freeway and began to notice a small loss of power. It just didn't want to "go" like it normally would. When I got off the freeway the bike was running ruff, hot and back firing. I pulled into a gas station and called the dealer. They said ride the bike in (about 15miles freeway). On the ride there I noticed a pinging noise coming from the from of the engine, and a substantial loss of power. When I arrived there was oil all over the right side of the engine.

Dealer says there was over 20 ounces drained from the engine. apparently there is only supposed to be 6. They said this was a sump problem they've seen before. He also said that it appears there is enough damage to the engine the they will need to replace the pistons or give me a new engine. All of this pretty fucking frustrating after paying almost 30k for the bike. I'm really hoping for a new engine. It's kind of interesting that all this happened the day after they serviced the bike???? Has anyone else had this happen?
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
998 Posts
I have an 18 with stage 3 installed. It spark knocks horrible. Have had it retuned with a Power Vision and it still spark knocks even in 50 degree weather. The bike runs extremely hot. No cat in the header and tuned with a Power Vision. They say nothing wrong with it. I wonder if mine is sumping causing it to run extremely hot in turn causing the spark knock. They have no idea or even will acknowledge the spark knock problem. They did retune it with the Power Vision for free so uh they obviously think there is a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Have seen it many times on M8s with a stage 3 or 4 kit on it. Not a good thing when a pretty much stock 19 does it.

Hope they get that new engine in quick.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Lots of sumping stories out there. CVO forum, hdforum. You are not alone. You must have an early build '19 because supposedly Harley fixed this issue with a new plate and seal on the oil pump but it is not on the early build '19s. This is on top of the 11 oil pump re-designs. (I heard 11, not sure if that is the exact number but it is quite a few).

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Sorry to hear Rusty, I am sure the dealer will make it right.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
At least the dealer is admitting to it being a problem instead of blaming you or the riding conditions like they apparently do with every other problem these new bikes have. Hopefully the dealer will make it right for you. Good luck

·
Registered
909 Posts
That is crazy and very sorry to hear this is happening to you after spending a big but on this bike. I just bought a used 2018 rgs with a stage 3 kit installed by the dealer at about 20 miles of the previous owner owned it it has 4300 miles now and checking all paperwork and nothing shows that the oil pump was replaced in the kit. Wondering if I call the dealer today and ask them to replace that pump regardless of any problems wondering if they'll do it

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
That is crazy and very sorry to hear this is happening to you after spending a big but on this bike. I just bought a used 2018 rgs with a stage 3 kit installed by the dealer at about 20 miles of the previous owner owned it it has 4300 miles now and checking all paperwork and nothing shows that the oil pump was replaced in the kit. Wondering if I call the dealer today and ask them to replace that pump regardless of any problems wondering if they'll do it

If it is not showing any issues why would they change it? Now I will be the first to admit that there are dealerships out there that try and do the bare minimum but aren't we going over the top the other way if we have these kinds of expectations?

·
Registered
909 Posts
If it is not showing any issues why would they change it? Now I will be the first to admit that there are dealerships out there that try and do the bare minimum but aren't we going over the top the other way if we have these kinds of expectations?
I get it the one thing I'm just wondering is when looking online at HD and you look up stage 3 kit it recommends changing the oil pump which is sold separately I would think that since the previous owner spent all this money to get it stage 3 done I can't see the dealer not recommending to change this also for a small amount that it cost. Besides I have warranty until April of 2020.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
At least the dealer is admitting to it being a problem instead of blaming you or the riding conditions like they apparently do with every other problem these new bikes have. Hopefully the dealer will make it right for you. Good luck
^ This

The dealer stepping right up and putting the potential sumping issue out on the table is a victory in and of itself. Based on the horror stories I've heard and read over the last year you should count yourself lucky that it doesn't appear you'll have to fight with the dealership to make it right.

·
Registered
92 Posts

Uh... no. Would you?

·
Registered
411 Posts
Lots of sumping stories out there. CVO forum, hdforum. You are not alone. You must have an early build '19 because supposedly Harley fixed this issue with a new plate and seal on the oil pump but it is not on the early build '19s. This is on top of the 11 oil pump re-designs. (I heard 11, not sure if that is the exact number but it is quite a few).
As a new owner of a '19 RG this is troubling (espescially since I traded a trouble free Rushmore). I had thought this problem did not pertain to '19s. Is there any way to know if you got the fix? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
As a new owner of a '19 RG this is troubling (espescially since I traded a trouble free Rushmore). I had thought this problem did not pertain to '19s. Is there any way to know if you got the fix? Thanks.

This is an example of why many people should stay off of motorcycle forums. I mean this in the best of ways. You could have a perfect bike that would never give you a moments trouble for the entire time that you own it but because you found this thread you are now going to WORRY if you are going to have the issue. Like you said, you just had a trouble free Rushmore (I'm assuming you are talking about a TC) and if you had really read many threads on it you would have noticed that they had their issues too with lifters, compensators etc.... My point here is just ride the bike and don't worry about it unless you start seeing the signs. Chances are you won't but you may take away from the enjoyment of you new purchase if you let this start getting into you head. Been there done that. :serious:

Ride safe and enjoy the hell out of that 19'!!!!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Well said Ken. The winter month's are the worst when many of us can't ride and have plenty of time to worry about all the "what-ifs" :)

With my luck my 2018 will sump at exactly 24 months and one day :)

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is an example of why many people should stay off of motorcycle forums. I mean this in the best of ways. You could have a perfect bike that would never give you a moments trouble for the entire time that you own it but because you found this thread you are now going to WORRY if you are going to have the issue. Like you said, you just had a trouble free Rushmore (I'm assuming you are talking about a TC) and if you had really read many threads on it you would have noticed that they had their issues too with lifters, compensators etc.... My point here is just ride the bike and don't worry about it unless you start seeing the signs. Chances are you won't but you may take away from the enjoyment of you new purchase if you let this start getting into you head. Been there done that. :serious:

Ride safe and enjoy the hell out of that 19'!!!!
You are entirely correct. Thank you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
As a side note; I’m a Harley tech for a living and whenever I have to go into a cam compartment on an M8, if the newer oil pump plate isn’t there, I automatically upgrade to it. I actually have the service writers trained to give customers a heads up that they may seen an extra amount for the new plate. I’ve just gotten to where to do that more for my peace of mind at night.

·
Registered
909 Posts
As a side note; I’m a Harley tech for a living and whenever I have to go into a cam compartment on an M8, if the newer oil pump plate isn’t there, I automatically upgrade to it. I actually have the service writers trained to give customers a heads up that they may seen an extra amount for the new plate. I’ve just gotten to where to do that more for my peace of mind at night.
My dealer said that they know the previous owner and that's the same thing they kind of said that if it had the new oil pump that's the only reason why they wouldn't change it for an extra $76 when you're spending three $4,000 it doesn't make sense so basically they told me that most likely I have the updated pump but I still have warranty until 2020 and they said just keep an eye on it just in case

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Update...

So after taking the engine apart the dealer said it was the sumping problem and it had caused damage to the engine. They sent Harley pictures of the damaged engine parts ( I'll post those pictures when I get to better wifi). Harley says they will replace the oil pump, pistons, and the sleeves. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks should be my next step.

Let them rebuilt the engine and call it good or fight for a new engine.

My concern is that I've only had the bike 3 wks/1000miles. As you all know these bikes aren't cheap!! I paid close to 30k for mine. Now I'll have a "new" motorcycle with a rebuilt engine. I called Harley customer service and was told the rebuild was their final offer and there was no way to escalate my complaint/concern. I'm very disappointed that after only 3weeks of ownership the engine failed from an on going problem. I feel with such a new motorcycle they should replace the engine.

It's also kinda strange that this happened less then 24hrs/15miles after they did my 1000 miles service. Prior to that I had no issues.
Any thought or experiences you guys can share would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda at a loss

·
Registered
17 Posts
So after taking the engine apart the dealer said it was the sumping problem and it had caused damage to the engine. They sent Harley pictures of the damaged engine parts ( I'll post those pictures when I get to better wifi). Harley says they will replace the oil pump, pistons, and the sleeves. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks should be my next step.

Let them rebuilt the engine and call it good or fight for a new engine.

My concern is that I've only had the bike 3 wks/1000miles. As you all know these bikes aren't cheap!! I paid close to 30k for mine. Now I'll have a "new" motorcycle with a rebuilt engine. I called Harley customer service and was told the rebuild was their final offer and there was no way to escalate my complaint/concern. I'm very disappointed that after only 3weeks of ownership the engine failed from an on going problem. I feel with such a new motorcycle they should replace the engine.

It's also kinda strange that this happened less then 24hrs/15miles after they did my 1000 miles service. Prior to that I had no issues.
Any thought or experiences you guys can share would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda at a loss
Rusty, I really hate this has happened but looks as if your only choice is to let them fix it but (always a but) this would also be a good time to do upgrades while they are in there, be no charge for the labor. Say a 117 kit or install a cam etc., just a thought of course, just a thought.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts