Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM everyone how is everyone doing this morning I have a question looks like I'll be in the market for a new battery real soon I have a 2020 RG I bought it brand new with 9 miles back in November 2019. So November 2021 will be 2 years and cold starts are becoming an issue so what are the better batteries out there it will be my first time it now has 10,100 miles on it and some times I will plug it into the battery tender but to be honest not all the time. So any help or info would be greatly apricated.... Thanks Again..

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Surprised your battery only lasted 2 years. Do you keep it on a tender while not riding?

A lot of folks buy Deka batteries, less expensive, a few more CCA, and they make the Harley batteries.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surprised your battery only lasted 2 years. Do you keep it on a tender while not riding?

A lot of folks buy Deka batteries, less expensive, a few more CCA, and they make the Harley batteries.

thanks i will look into them, but also going to call the dealer it should be under warranty still.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,282 Posts
All the Batteries Plus stores carry the Deka battery for HDs. Not cheap, but less expensive than the HD battery at the dealership - which is also made by Deka.

Reactions: chbush

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Put that battery on a regen charger. Most of them less than 4 years old, will come back to life. That's what the dealer would do if you took the scooter in for a warranty repair.

The battery's in these scooters have such a high plate density that they are very susceptible to battery tender damage. At low rates of charge, one amp or less, little splinter crystals grow and bridge the plates. The regen capable chargers run a cycle were a low power AC current is used to break up these crystals. Usually takes over night, but can take as long as a day.

Dewalt sells a little charger that has that cycle built into it, you can find them in a lot of stores. Bout a $100

It will also 30 amp fast charge, 80 amp boost, service two battery's at a time and charge your phone. It will also run some battery/charging system test, but I have not tried that part of it out yet.

Rectangle Font Electronic device Toy Auto part

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put that battery on a regen charger. Most of them less than 4 years old, will come back to life. That's what the dealer would do if you took the scooter in for a warranty repair.

The battery's in these scooters have such a high plate density that they are very susceptible to battery tender damage. At low rates of charge, one amp or less, little splinter crystals grow and bridge the plates. The regen capable chargers run a cycle were a low power AC current is used to break up these crystals. Usually takes over night, but can take as long as a day.

Dewalt sells a little charger that has that cycle built into it, you can find them in a lot of stores. Bout a $100

It will also 30 amp fast charge, 80 amp boost, service two battery's at a time and charge your phone. It will also run some battery/charging system test, but I have not tried that part of it out yet.

View attachment 432884
thanks i am going to look into this charger thanks for the info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My original battery failed within the 1rst year, the HD dealer made excuses and blamed me for the battery failure , I went aftermarket. If you are not able to get a warranty replacement, Deka batteries are pretty good .I have had two of them in my RG each lasted over 5 years and were still ok when I replaced them. bike was always on battery maintainer when stored.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
Many forum members including me will get new batteries from Battery Mart
They sell Deka batteries and they are the same battery that HD puts in the bike the only difference is the HD logo isn't on the battery.
I get the Big Crank battery and the price right now is $130. I use to get the battery for around $100 but like everything else the price goes up.
After I order I will get the battery delivered in 3 to 5 days.

Mark

Reactions: mjsdouble

·
Registered
20 Posts
GM everyone how is everyone doing this morning I have a question looks like I'll be in the market for a new battery real soon I have a 2020 RG I bought it brand new with 9 miles back in November 2019. So November 2021 will be 2 years and cold starts are becoming an issue so what are the better batteries out there it will be my first time it now has 10,100 miles on it and some times I will plug it into the battery tender but to be honest not all the time. So any help or info would be greatly apricated.... Thanks Again..
I also like Battery Mart for their Big Crank batteries. As far as how long a battery lasts: I live in SWEST FL and two years is about it for a battery no matter if you keep it on a tender or not. HEAT KILLS batteries.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am also a fan of the Big Crank battery I get 4 years out of the in the PNW. Not riding a bike is hard on a battery but the OP put miles on his.

Reactions: ironmark

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Many forum members including me will get new batteries from Battery Mart
They sell Deka batteries and they are the same battery that HD puts in the bike the only difference is the HD logo isn't on the battery.
I get the Big Crank battery and the price right now is $130. I use to get the battery for around $100 but like everything else the price goes up.
After I order I will get the battery delivered in 3 to 5 days.

Mark
Thanks Mark.. I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I also like Battery Mart for their Big Crank batteries. As far as how long a battery lasts: I live in SWEST FL and two years is about it for a battery no matter if you keep it on a tender or not. HEAT KILLS batteries.
thanks FatBoy heat kills I am in El Centro Ca and it get pretty hot here like 110 -120 plus in the summer.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
agreed. i live in sw louisiana, and 2-3 years is about average for me also.

·
Super Moderator
4,433 Posts
Another vote for the Big Crank from Battery Mart. I’ve purchased quite a few of them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts