Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a RG Special and riding next to my buddy with his new RG CVO; I realize that my stock speakers aren't worth a damn. I don't want to add speakers to my lids. I only want to add an amp and better speakers for the front. The Fosgate are about $1200. That was HD quote for all parts and wiring. That's a bit high for my budget. Can I get some recommendations and an idea of what the cost is for the brand/model you think is an improvement over stock? Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a RG Special and riding next to my buddy with his new RG CVO; I realize that my stock speakers aren't worth a damn. I don't want to add speakers to my lids. I only want to add an amp and better speakers for the front. The Fosgate are about $1200. That was HD quote for all parts and wiring. That's a bit high for my budget. Can I get some recommendations and an idea of what the cost is for the brand/model you think is an improvement over stock? Thank you all in advance.
Country and Rock are my choices for music if that helps. I want the base and the treble.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hertz SPL show SX-165 NEO front speakers Rockford fosgate DSR-1 dsp and Cerwin Vega B54 amp. This will give you a great starting point and have channels available just in case you want to go from 2 channels front only to 4 channel front and rear

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,280 Posts
I'll let those who are more up to date with the current speaker offering than me answer your question, but I will say that it's amazing what a difference a $150 amp and a pair of $300 - $500 speakers will make.

I noticed that this was your first post ...... welcome from SW Florida and congrats on choosing the MoCo's best touring bike as your ride. Mine is 10 years old. When it was new I put in an ARC 100 watt amp I bought on EBAY brand new for $100., along with a pair of $300 speakers and I'm still satisfied with that budget conscious set-up. It's good up to 80-85 on the highway. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just installed 2 coax Ground zero yellow basket 6.5s with a sound digital 800.4 evox amp with biketronics line leveler setup came in around $900, I am happy with the sound and it is loud. Not sure you'll find a 2 speaker set up that will give you a lot of bass. I can say I can clearly hear my music at 80 mph with a full face helmet. I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have SinisterSound speakers and arc amp. A little bit of cutting to the speaker box in fairing, nothing crazy. Easy install. Crystal clear and very loud. U can't down these out.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well, I can give you a first hand experience dealing with someone on a CVO over powering your stock stereo. If you search the Audio section here, under my name, I laid out how I did it.

So to answer your question, Do you want to over power the stock HD CVO system, or something you can hear by yourself at 80mph?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought Hogtunes 6.5 speakers and the 225 amp with R.E.M.I.T, all around $500, amp goes in this weekend. Speakers were a breeze. I'm not looking to out someone else's system. I just didn't like the crap that HD put in and call Speakers. Here's a picture of the magnet comparison size.

I know some will say you get what you pay for, I just don't want the distortion. Already the Hogtunes speakers are better, but the head unit itself does not have the power to make the speakers perform. So I'm adding amp to help out a bit. Just need to here at 70 to 80 mph. I'm also adding a LRS Stingray shield to help cut wind noise. I wish you luck. There is a lot of help on here and no one has steered me wrong. Good luck!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just installed 2 coax Ground zero yellow basket 6.5s with a sound digital 800.4 evox amp with biketronics line leveler setup came in around $900, I am happy with the sound and it is loud. Not sure you'll find a 2 speaker set up that will give you a lot of bass. I can say I can clearly hear my music at 80 mph with a full face helmet. I'm sure others will chime in.
Welcome. Ditto, got a good deal on the SD amp, spent a couple hundred less, quite pleased with the results. Well versed audio guys on here that can provide installation guidance on whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
You might check out J&M (JMCorp.com) for speakers and amps. Here might be just what you’re looking for. A 200 watt 2 channel amp system for under $500 for the amp. The speakers are additional $250. But still less than most combo units. Plus they are Made in USA. And J&M back their products.
I’ve had their speakers and amp on my 1998 Ultra and my 2009 Road Glide. If I decide to add speakers and amp to my 2021, I’ll definitely look at J&M again.
Plus JMJohn of J&M is a long time member here and is always here to help. Plus he gives forum members a good discount.
I’m definitely going to consider it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You might check out J&M (JMCorp.com) for speakers and amps. Here might be just what you’re looking for. A 200 watt 2 channel amp system for under $500 for the amp. The speakers are additional $250. But still less than most combo units. Plus they are Made in USA. And J&M back their products.
I’ve had their speakers and amp on my 1998 Ultra and my 2009 Road Glide. If I decide to add speakers and amp to my 2021, I’ll definitely look at J&M again.
Plus JMJohn of J&M is a long time member here and is always here to help. Plus he gives forum members a good discount.
I’m definitely going to consider it.
I have a 2020 RG Limited. I have always used John from J&M and very happy. I did just the front speakers and amp (Their latest version) and it is awesome. You won't get any better service than from John.

·
Registered
2021 RGS, 77 rigid shovel, 63 panshovel
107 Posts
Another for J&M, ran the 2 speaker and amp setup on my 18 SGS with great results. Complete kit made for a seamless install and it was crystal clear even turned the whole way up, however I never needed to go above 3/4 volume even at 90+mph. When I add a kit to my 21 RGS it’ll likely be from J&M.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the J&M link....looks like good stuff for an economical upgrade from stock. Of note, don't assume magnet size of speakers has a direct impact on power capability. Many speakers have Neodymium magnets which is way more powerful than traditional magnets. The result is you get similar performance/power capability with a much smaller and lighter magnet. Looking at the J&M 6.58 fairing speakers ($259 / pair) they are 'neo-mag' speakers with 200W max power and 130W RMS.

Technology is a wonderful thing. About 5 years ago I bought a 2X12 guitar cabinet with 'neo-mag' speakers to use for my band gigs. Entire cab weighs 25lbs, love that thing compared to the old school cabs I've lugged around for years that weigh twice that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had Soundz put in an amp, and their Iron 65 speakers into my 2020 RGS and have been very happy. I can hear the radio at the halfway point on the volume range when on the highway at about 65-70 MPH. I considered adding speakers in my lowers when I put them on, but decided I didn't need them since the lowers actually quieted some wind noise, and the fairing speakers sound even better...
RoadGlide.jpg

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I've seen more than a few J&M getting ripped out threads than anything else. I'm glad you guys like yours. But I think it's hit and miss with that equipment. Biketronics has a full plug and play kit that rocks and you can add to it. I have the BT2180.14 and am adding speakers to my lowers. The drop in wattage from 180 per channel is said to only go to 130w per channel. Lots of guys have done it and love it. I've had the BT2180.14 in 3 different bikes so far.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Rode 700 miles home from Panama City with the new J&M stuff. Could hear everything clearly to me.
I'm happy but I'm certainly not very knowledgeable about these things.
I was seriously considering Soundz and talked to them and listened to their stuff. It sounded very good but was gonna be 6-700 dollars more than what I could spend.
FWIW, I had Biketronics stuff on my 2004 Road Glide and ended up taking it out.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
I just received this 20% Discount Code from J&M in my email.
You can’t beat that with a stick. But it’s only good until 5/16/2021.

Reactions: MORider
1 - 18 of 18 Posts