Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in a 2019 Street Glide Standard for a 2020 Road Glide Limited. On the Street Glide the stock shocks jarred my brain on any and every bump. I upgraded front and back with Legend Revo's and the ride was fantastic. When I traded the SG in for the RGL I took the rear Legends off and kept them, figuring I'd use them on the RGL. The stock ride on the 2020 RGL is truly impressive. I'm going to give it some more testing, but I may very well put those Legend's up for sale here. The only thing I don't like about the stock setup is the nose dive under braking. I was totally spoiled with the Legends set up on my SG in that regard. May upgrade the front some day but no rush.

Just looking to see if anyone else with a 2020 RGL has had the same (or different) thoughts on the stock shock setup.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Ride 2 up and tell us how you feel. Keep the legends imo.

Reactions: Jd_Rgs

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I think the ride on my Limited isn't too bad. I probably will upgrade the rear at some point but not in a hurry. I have not run a 13 inch shock in a long time. the extra inch of travel makes a difference. I don't think I will do the front on this one. I only have about 2500 miles on it so all of this could change.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You raise an interesting point. On my Street Glide, the stock shock was 12”, so getting the Legend @ 13” not only gave me a superior shock with both pre-load and compression settings, but also an extra inch of travel. The stock rear shocks on the RGL are already at 13” so no additional shock travel gained by swapping to my Legends. Swapping out the rear shocks is so easy I may just do it as an experiment and log some miles on both so I can decide one way or another. FYI I do not ride 2-up, though after 3 months of pandemic lockdown I weigh enough for 2 people lol...

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you do sell the legends, please let me know. I’d be interested in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Same parts 2019-2020. Same forks on both scooters. Rear shocks differ only in length, so prolly differ in travel too. Those short travel shocks on Street Glides and TRX Road Glides are usually set pretty tight to reduce the bottoming out.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you do sell the legends, please let me know. I’d be interested in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m going to swap out the stock shocks for my Legends and do some testing and comparison rides. If I should opt for the stockers I’ll be sure to let you know about the Legends.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Stock front shocks dive. Stock rear is only one shock plus one fake. I replaced my 2020 RGL Stock suspension with Legend front and rear during the 1,000 mile service and it was a huge improvement in ride and handling. Immediately noticeable. Super happy with the result.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I’m going to swap out the stock shocks for my Legends and do some testing and comparison rides. If I should opt for the stockers I’ll be sure to let you know about the Legends.
Very keen to follow your testing. I have 13 inch 2018 ultra shocks on my 2016 RGS and love them. Often ride two up and adjust them to suit. As for the forks, I'm approaching the 80,000 km rebuild point and in anticipation for a 5,500 km road trip I did the oil change and rebuild. I weigh 98 kg and calculated that with my touring kit I needed to add 9mm extra preload to the standard 2016 forks (not the current dual bending valve). That adjusted the preload to suit me perfectly. As a result the front end performance was greatly improved. Due to covid19 but mainly because I was tee-boned by a car the trip has been postponed. As the forks were bent in the crash I am getting 2020 forks. The bike is still at the doctors and my rotator cuff is still under repair so it will be a couple of months before I can report on the difference.
If you have the legends I would be very keen to see you do one end at a time and compare. Basically in loose terms, the rear gives comfort and the front handling. The only people I know who have upgraded to any after-market have not done it in stages. They change from 12 inch to anything 13 inch and say how great they are. I haven't found anyone who has changed from late model HD 13 inch to legends. Of course any 13 inch shock will be better than a 12 inch. Then the other thing is they change both front and rear at the sametime so again they have no idea what made the difference. (Djames above is another example.) Was it just the rear or did the fork change make much difference. Do you see where I'm going with this? I have no doubt that Djames is happy and has made the improvement he was looking for. What I don't know is how much he fiddled with his stock suspension. I have played with suspension on many bikes and it took me a lot more than 1000 miles to find the correct settings for me and our Australian roads on my bike. That goes for the 12 ince and the 13 inch shocks. The setting chart that comes with the bike is a good indication BUT I found it is only a starting point.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stock front shocks dive. Stock rear is only one shock plus one fake. I replaced my 2020 RGL Stock suspension with Legend front and rear during the 1,000 mile service and it was a huge improvement in ride and handling. Immediately noticeable. Super happy with the result.
Please read my reply to glidinallday and add anything you think appropriate. I am not suggesting you don't know how to set up your bike or suggest you have made a mistake. I am very confident that you will love your new suspension. They are highly recommended by many on this forum and personal acquaintances alike. However the questions I pose have remained unanswered because most people do what you have done and not one end at a time. We are indeed fortunate to have such fine machinery to ride. Regards

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very keen to follow your testing. I have 13 inch 2018 ultra shocks on my 2016 RGS and love them. Often ride two up and adjust them to suit. As for the forks, I'm approaching the 80,000 km rebuild point and in anticipation for a 5,500 km road trip I did the oil change and rebuild. I weigh 98 kg and calculated that with my touring kit I needed to add 9mm extra preload to the standard 2016 forks (not the current dual bending valve). That adjusted the preload to suit me perfectly. As a result the front end performance was greatly improved. Due to covid19 but mainly because I was tee-boned by a car the trip has been postponed. As the forks were bent in the crash I am getting 2020 forks. The bike is still at the doctors and my rotator cuff is still under repair so it will be a couple of months before I can report on the difference.
If you have the legends I would be very keen to see you do one end at a time and compare. Basically in loose terms, the rear gives comfort and the front handling. The only people I know who have upgraded to any after-market have not done it in stages. They change from 12 inch to anything 13 inch and say how great they are. I haven't found anyone who has changed from late model HD 13 inch to legends. Of course any 13 inch shock will be better than a 12 inch. Then the other thing is they change both front and rear at the sametime so again they have no idea what made the difference. (Djames above is another example.) Was it just the rear or did the fork change make much difference. Do you see where I'm going with this? I have no doubt that Djames is happy and has made the improvement he was looking for. What I don't know is how much he fiddled with his stock suspension. I have played with suspension on many bikes and it took me a lot more than 1000 miles to find the correct settings for me and our Australian roads on my bike. That goes for the 12 ince and the 13 inch shocks. The setting chart that comes with the bike is a good indication BUT I found it is only a starting point.
So here is my update: I rode with the stock rear shocks for the first 500 miles, then swapped out for my Legend Revo A's for the next 500 miles. While the stock shocks give an extra inch of travel from what I was used to on my '19 Street Glide, the fact that they can only be adjusted for pre-load / sag and not for rebound compression makes all the difference. I guess when I took delivery of my 2020 RGL I felt the stock shocks were impressive simply because there was no bottoming out or jarring, spine-crunching rebound like there was on the stock '19 Street Glide shocks (due to the extra inch of travel) so it fooled me into thinking I might be able to stick with stock. Once I got the Legends on I was shown the err of my thinking. Being able to dial in the rebound compression is a game changer. That's number 1. Number 2 is having a superior coil on both sides of the wheel... not just 1 like the stock set up (as someone else here posted, the stock set up has one adjustable shock and one "fake" one). The Legends are here to stay and the stock rear shocks will be up for sale. Next up will be to do the front. (I had done both front and rear on my 19 street glide and LOVED it. The fronts stayed with the bike when I sold it). When I did both front and rear on the Street Glide I did them separately, so I was able to see what each change made separate of one another. Same now on my new RGL.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks, that is helpful info. I'm glad I have found someone who has changed out the old suspension in stages. Would you like to add info about the front end change on the 19 SG. Regards

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, that is helpful info. I'm glad I have found someone who has changed out the old suspension in stages. Would you like to add info about the front end change on the 19 SG. Regards
I rode my 2019 Street Glide Standard with the stock shocks for the first 1500 miles or so. Then I replaced the rear shocks. Noticed an immediate improvement but it also isolated the two major problems with the front shocks.... 1) way too harsh over any kind of bumps, and 2) too much front end diving under heaving breaking. Around 3000 miles I replaced the stock front shocks with Revo Axeos.... holy mother of g-d what a difference. The bike rode like it was on rails and between the front and the back it soaked up the bumps like a BMW. Most of all, when braking there was NO front end dive at all. It boosted my confidence considerably.

The sad fact is this... As amazing as most modern-day Harleys are, they still suck at suspension, at least in the touring models. The competition blows them away in this area, and your only option is to go aftermarket, front and back. Expensive but worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts