Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 RoadGlide does not have ABS brakes and I like it that way. Does anyone know if 2021 touring bikes are even available with standard front/back disc brakes?
ABS brakes are not cool for the following reasons:
1) The ABS system does not always initialize correctly during cold winters as the current draw is too much at start up for a cold battery.
2) It is nearly impossible to flush and fill ones own brake fluid with an ABS unit installed.
3) I am not a hot rod rider. (no need to ride 20 mph over.
4) ABS brakes can be jumpy.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
As of 2020 All ABS and 2021 also all have RDRS. All you need to flush ABS system and cycle it your self is one of the many after market units. Or if you want the ability to do more one of the units like a centurion. The base units are not expensive and used one time pay for them self.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
As of 2020 All ABS and 2021 also all have RDRS.
The Street Glide Standard and Road Glide Standard do not have the RDRS available, even as an option in 2021.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
The Street Glide Standard and Road Glide Standard do not have the RDRS available, even as an option in 2021.
OK I was told different by dealer. No way I would by a 2021 so I did not dig into it. Just looked the Road Glide they don't call it a standard has RDRS as option as does the RG special

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
My 2018 RoadGlide does not have ABS brakes and I like it that way. Does anyone know if 2021 touring bikes are even available with standard front/back disc brakes?
1) The ABS system does not always initialize correctly during cold winters as the current draw is too much at start up for a cold battery.
2) It is nearly impossible to flush and fill ones own brake fluid with an ABS unit installed.
1) First I am hearing about that. Why would the current draw be higher in cold weather than in warm weather? My bikes are always on a tender so optimum cranking amps every time.
2) Not nearly impossible. Just buy an aftermarket tool that activates the actuators if you don't want the dealer to do it. Small price to pay to have the dealer do it every 2 years and gives me a chance to test ride some different bikes while they are servicing it.
3) Hot rodding has nothing to do with grabbing too much brake in a panic situation. Or when you see your street at the last possible moment. LOL!
4) HUH? How much experience with the new ABS systems do you have?

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
In 2021 ABS is standard on all Touring bikes and RDRS is an option on all Touring bikes except CVO's.

I used to think this way and was dead set on not having ABS on any of my bikes or even cars for that matter, but once you have it and have to use it you will change your thought process.

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
My 09 doesn't have ABS and believe it or not I haven't ridden a bike with it but I would imagine cold weather doesn't affect it at all as long as the battery is charged properly. More than likely you're driving a car with ABS, have you had any cold start issues with that? ABS has come long way in automobile's and other than having a different bleeding technique I highly doubt you'll notice anything different other than when you need to panic stop. Don't over think it

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
ABS and cold. Keep in mind I ride in 0 degrees . Have ridden in 20 below. The ABS has never failed on work in cold. ABS has one issue that is if you fail to do Fluid flush and cycle the ABS the right way there can be an issue with the unit sticking gummimg up due to old fluid sitting in it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1) The current draw during ABS initialization is the same in summer and winter. A cold battery not on a tender will have more trouble starting in the winter than summer.
2) I like my 2018 non ABS Road Glide but saw a beautiful 2021 Street Glide at the dealer and was contemplating a trade. That explains how the Street Glide topic got started.
3) I guess it is time for me to google RDRS. What is that?

·
Registered
2020 RGS, runs great out the gate.
894 Posts
Debate all day folks, but ABS is used by you in your car or if on you're bike more than you realize. Tantamount to how you just click on your seatbelt and never think about it. Saying one likes any vehicle without it these days is essentially lying, (get mad) as it's akin to saying you prefer kick-starting over pushing a button ... One would be amazed to peruse the ECM on any vehicle they drive these days and what was once a panic stop in days past, some of us know, some have no idea and see how that ABS did what it was and is designed to do... NJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had ABS on a 2001 BMW R1200C.
1) The brakes were jumpy. Apply right hand brake and calipers would slam. I learned to lightly handle that brake lever.
2) During cold winter, if the battery wasn't fully charged, the ABS system would not initialize resulting in the alternating railroad crossing lights. Drive the bike 5 minutes. Shut it off. Restart and all was well.
3) On that bike flushing the brake fluid meant going to the nearest dealer 190 miles away, unless one had training and special equipment.

So I did some research/homework followed by my very own ABS Ectomy. The job required I buy two plumbing lines but I got it done. Front and rear brake were independent after that. The ABS unit weighed in at 25 lbs. I sold it to a guy on the chromeheads forum for $50.

ABS will prevent front wheel lock in a sudden intense brake, but the system seems like overkill to me.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
1) The current draw during ABS initialization is the same in summer and winter. A cold battery not on a tender will have more trouble starting in the winter than summer.
2) I like my 2018 non ABS Road Glide but saw a beautiful 2021 Street Glide at the dealer and was contemplating a trade. That explains how the Street Glide topic got started.
3) I guess it is time for me to google RDRS. What is that?
RDRS is HD version of Traction control, It also has Vehicle Hill control. Traction control has 3 options default is on, Off and rain mode.. VHC is an assist holding the bike on a steep grade while stopped.

·
Administrator
1,952 Posts
OP, you're comparing 2001 ABS technolgy to 2021 ABS technology, things have come along way in 20 years. Like Oclaf stated above, 90% of the population drive with ABS and don't even know how it has saved their ass so many times.

As far as cold goes, ABS functions just fine on all my fleet vehicles at -40F without fail. It has saved me thousands of dollars in repair bills/insurance costs in accidents that didn't happen.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
2020 Road Glide Special
118 Posts
Honestly guys I get it, same logic as to why I don't use a cell phone. I tried it 20 years ago and it was horrible!

Technology in 2021 and technology from 2001 are light years different. Others have already beat the pluses to death but seriously OP, no reason to be avoiding ABS, it just may save your life someday.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts