Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Saying one likes any vehicle without ABS these days is essentially lying, it's akin to saying you prefer kick-starting over pushing a button ...
But....but...I actually DO prefer kickstarting! SO damn satisfying. And the crowd of onlookers loves it too. (I also have a 1980 FXWG with all electric start bits removed, for simplicity's sake...never fails to start on the pedal).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I too, believed that ABS was needless and a pain in the ass, until my panic stop that would have turned into a rear wheel lock-up and likely another high-side smack down (as it did once before). A human can only react just so fast and I had no indication the car would pull out very suddenly in front of me. Never saw me.
Feather pedal the rear brake you say ...? Hard to do in split-second timing when the first impulse is to stomp it.
I'll never own another bike without ABS.

·
Registered
188 Posts
ABS isn't just for the speeding crowd. It works just fine at 25 mph as well. Granted I was purposely activating it practicing for that skate board, bike or basket ball with a kid 100% focused on retrieving it hot on its tail...... It's surprisingly easy to get that rear pedal fluttering once you've mashed a handful of front brake in a panic stop.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
3) I guess it is time for me to google RDRS. What is that?

·
Registered
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
1,759 Posts
I have done the poor man's ABS flush after replacing lines - complete bleed, then go for a ride and jam the ABS three or four times, then complete bleed again. Gotta keep fresh fluid in the ABS unit. I was leery about ABS at first in my 08 - but I have used it more times than I thought would ever happen, including just the other day with unexpected dirt on a turn lane. I ride in freezing weather all the time and the ABS has no more drain on the system than my stereo. I wouldn't ride a 900lbs bike without ABS now.

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
226 Posts
My old Honda’s had the equivalent of RDRS. The ST series. Allot of folks are high on the ABS aspect and forget oabout the traction control. For some reason Honda took away the traction control in the ST1300...

If I recall it was the 79/371 junction San Diego county. A semi quick start, the ass shift a couple inch or so and I lost power. WTF. A oil patch had dust over. Score one for tech.

That was my reminder to get my head out of my ass and pay better attention. I had landed to close to the center watching traffic.

Thor is kicking our ass is Warsaw MO this morning.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2018 RoadGlide does not have ABS brakes and I like it that way. Does anyone know if 2021 touring bikes are even available with standard front/back disc brakes?
ABS brakes are not cool for the following reasons:
1) The ABS system does not always initialize correctly during cold winters as the current draw is too much at start up for a cold battery.
2) It is nearly impossible to flush and fill ones own brake fluid with an ABS unit installed.
3) I am not a hot rod rider. (no need to ride 20 mph over.
4) ABS brakes can be jumpy.
Your question was answered but since you posted your reasons for disapproving ABS, just thought I'd post my 2¢. I'm riding 46 years, both professionally & recreationally, with 42 of those years exclusively on non-ABS bikes. After training then riding ABS, especially linked systems like Harley~Davidson's, I'll offer this. There is merit in your criticisms, however, the one overwhelming incontrovertible fact is that ABS stops your bike in less distance (and upright) than conventional brakes. And that can easily be the difference between avoiding an unexpected obstacle and hitting it, or losing control and high-siding the bike. And that, to me, makes all the other issues irrelevant.
Good luck & keep it rubber side down, shiny side up.

·
Registered
2020 Zephyr Blue / Black RGS stage 2 TQ cam,V&H power duals, Ventilator Ciro bag blades,Kahuna heate
372 Posts
I bought my first Road glide in 2010 the GM’s wife was on the sales floor. She saw me drooling over a Scarlet Red RGCustom she came over I was really excited she said I cannot sell you this bike.” I was floored “ Why?” “ It does not have ABS she was the dealer safety school instructor. It’s that big a deal ? Yes, can you get me one with ABS ? Yes I have one in the back I rode that bike for 10 years never an issue.Every bike we have owned sinceHas ABS two years, dealer flush Just got a 2020 RGS ABS smooth quick stops .Just bought a 2021 for my wife/ riding partner ABS ,RDRS.The tech offered on these bikes works
April is helmet month I bought a new one as well. As we say in the construction biz “ Safety First.”

21 - 29 of 29 Posts