Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'21 RG Special ("Cheech")
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking for suggestions to mitigate these scratches on the gas tank console dash trim of my 2021 RGS. Guessing my jacket zipper or belt buckle was the culprit during a particularly careless moment or two. Stands out like a red clown nose on the Statue of Liberty.

Before resorting to progressively lighter shades of marker or paying $270 for a used one I found on eBay (not ready to pay quite so high a price for my stupidity) I thought I'd see if this was something anyone else might have encountered and how you fixed it.

UPDATE: Since original post I've been directed to HD's OEM replacement insert (MEDALLION,FTK CSL,INSERT #14101270) which will allow me to replace just the piece that's scratched (and not the entire console) for well under $100. Many thanks to all of you who pointed me in the right direction. Just wondering, though, what's involved with its removal and replacement since I'm all thumbs and no brain when it comes to all things mechanical!

Thanks!

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely check it out. My only concern is how to go about replacing it (unfortunately I'm about as mechanically inclined as a cup of tapioca pudding.)
don't think that you'll be able to save the old one, you won't. use a plastic spudger to get up under a corner, a hair dryer to warm it up and soften the glue and just work it up. after it comes off, the hardest part is getting all the old glue residue off. then it's just a matter of peeling and sticking the new one. test fit it about 3 times before you do, then test fit it again....

i like to pull a little of the backing paper off, slightly to the side, then when you stick it down, you can just pull the paper off from behind, sticking it down as you go.

or you can just put a sticker over it, lol. you damaged it once, odds are you'll do it again. if you find after a time that you don't, then you can replace it.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,943 Posts
The bigger question is, why does Harley use a finish that is so easily scratched in a location where it is very likely to encounter zippers, buckles, etc.? The flip side of that coin is that you'd wouldn't believe how many vests and jackets I've been interested in over the years but walked away from once I realized that they gave no thought to the placement of various metal bits that surely would scratch the tank on any bike.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts