Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
anybody use NGK spark plugs in their RG? Oreily sold me some NGK, DCPR7E for my 10RGC 96". I have 20k miles and stock plugs are Champion and still look good, runs good.

Going on a 1400 mi road trip in 2 weeks and wondering if I should change plugs out and if NGK acceptable.

since my post found this cross reference chart.
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hdsparkplugs01.htm

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I always replace my OEM plugs with the same every year. NGKs should be fine if they are in the appropriate heat range. The only negative comments I ever hear about plugs is about some of the fancier, more costly plugs like the E3 spark plugs. Some folks rave about the standard Autolite plugs.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
i used to use the autolite 4164s in my bike. can't say that i ever had any problem with them, but when i bought my 2010, and was researching tuners, jamie at fuelmoto recommended staying with the stock plugs (and not the se) because of the spark knock sensor in our bikes. the ecm looks for a certain resistance value, and aftermarket plugs, may or may not, meet this value. so based on his recommendation, went with the powervision, and stock plugs.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I run the NGK's in mine, no issues. I try not to run Champions(who makes the HD OEM plugs) in anything, had nothing but bad luck with Champions for years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the se plugs in mine so......that must be why I get the pingin and the knockin even when accelerating at hwy speeds.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
NGK here too, just changed them out and they looked great....

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
OEM and Autolites seem to work great for many. Other plugs may give you pinging and knock issues due to the ion sensing. Some will even cause a check engine light to come on.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
OEM and Autolites seem to work great for many. Other plugs may give you pinging and knock issues due to the ion sensing. Some will even cause a check engine light to come on.

I've seen more than 1 good engine builder/tuner recommend the NGK as not messing with the ion sensing. I normall run the DCPR8 plug, which is one heat range cooler. Cooler plug means less chance of the plug itself causing a pre-ignition issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought and installed the NGK Iridium plugs last spring. I've had people say I shouldn't have, but I have had no issues at all. Any reasons I shouldn't have?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Our old saying is the NGK stands for No Good Kind. That being said I have run them plenty of times without issue. Old mechanic joke.

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
In all reality the plugs that have 20,000 miles on them are still good. If the bike is running good and the plugs are burning clean then there is no reason to change them.
Do you change the spark plugs in your automobile every 20,000 miles? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
In all reality the plugs that have 20,000 miles on them are still good. If the bike is running good and the plugs are burning clean then there is no reason to change them.
Do you change the spark plugs in your automobile every 20,000 miles? :rolleyes:
Does your automobile cylinder head temps reach 340 - 370 degrees periodically? A water cooled cylinder head doesn't see near the severe conditions of an air cooled. The NGK's are an excellent plug and cost a whopping three dollars each. Set them at .038 and your good to go.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Does your automobile cylinder head temps reach 340 - 370 degrees periodically? A water cooled cylinder head doesn't see near the severe conditions of an air cooled. The NGK's are an excellent plug and cost a whopping three dollars each. Set them at .038 and your good to go.
Head temps are irrelevant to spark plug performance. Compression, combustion temps, spark voltage, and how often it cycles does however.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I bought and installed the NGK Iridium plugs last spring. I've had people say I shouldn't have, but I have had no issues at all. Any reasons I shouldn't have?
I bought a set and they were fine. No difference to me from the OEMs. Just replaced 'em with the OEMs at 40K - the Iridiums cost a lot more and did not seems to be any better in actual use. As far as replacement intervals go - I just follow the service manual. 20,000 miles and 40,000 miles = replace spark plugs. The OEMs I pulled at 20K and the NGK Iridiums I pulled at 40K both looked fine to me but I'm not a spark plug expert.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree that they are not any better than OEM, I changed them because I knew that the iridium's gap would not change for at least a 100k.
Plus, the only negative spark plug experiences that I have had, have been from Champion plugs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
My cylinder head temps don't get 340 to 370 at least according to my Dakota Digital gauges that have cylinder head temp read out. Most of the time 240 to 270 is the cylinder head temp with 290 to 310 common in city traffic.
A good inspection of the spark plugs and making sure the plug gap is correct is all that is needed at 20,000 miles.
It doesn't hurt to change the plugs but the plugs will last a lot longer than what HD puts in their sevice manual if the bike is running right.

·
Registered
168 Posts
my tuner was pretty adamant about not using anything but OEM. In fact before he tuned mine he replaced the plugs with new OEM. Pulled out champions and wasnt real thrilled.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Nothing wrong with NGK

There are a lot of misconceptions about ion sensing and the delphi system. Denso, ngk standard, platinum and irridium plugs all will work fine in our twin cam motors with ion sensing.:)

Quite a few threads on this very subject elsewhere. I am testing several different plugs at this moment. The irridium plugs do seem to idle better and run "crisper" at least in the 103 shark, 96 street bob, 103 street glide and the 110cvo we have tried them in so far....:D

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
OEM here - tried other stuff - no noticeable difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts