Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings

New owner of a 2015 Special here. Like most I have been busy customizing it the last 2 months and I'm now ready to order a new front wheel. My preference is a 23" but a few people I have spoken to have frowned on this.

I know I have to go with new trees and a new ABS controller, new rotor and possibly calipers..etc. if I go with a 23. I spoke with a knowledgeable guy at kotic kustoms here in GA and he swears that I need to go with a 21 or 26. Says that a 23 just wont handle right no matter what you do. He says that a 26 will handle just like or better then stock. He has tons of builds under his belt and when I look around his shop all I see are 26's I'm not sure if that is his personal favorite or not.

I'm not going with a 26..too big. So what I'm asking is if those with 23's have seen a reduction in handling or anything adverse that I should be aware about.

I'm doing this for looks of course and with a wrapped fender the 21 looks great on most bikes. I think I just want to get the 23 for ego reasons but not at the expense of handling. I need the bike to be functional first. It appears that there will be around $2000+ in additional expenses if I go with the 23" so for that money I need to be really really happy

I'm going with a RC components Alien wheel. Seen any good deals?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Rconnor, do the 23" wheel you won't have to worry about any of that I can't ride it stuff, Hog Wild rode his 23" from NC to Texas, QHOG has ridden that 23" of his all over the CONUS! I ride a 26" and the only reason I don't suggest it over the 23" is the availability of tires in the event of an on the road incident. That said I am ridding to Atlanta next month. Looking forward to seeing whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks ITOLDU

I decided to go with the 23" I knew I would regret it if I don't. Here is my setup I just ordered.

23 x 3.75 RC Components Chrome Alien Wheel
13" Front 2 Piece Matching Rotor
ABS Bearing - $1799 (include wheel and rotor)
Avon Tire - $170 mounted and balaned
HHI X-23 bolt on Triple Trees - $709
HHI 6 Piston 13" Chrome Brake Caliper - $379
ThunderMax TracMax Reflex ABS - $239
Arlen Ness Chrome Single Disk Lower Legs - $589

Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Yeah a second mortgage to pay for it all....LOL. send pics after its all done.
Mortgage rates are at an all time LOW! ;)
Thanks ITOLDU

I decided to go with the 23" I knew I would regret it if I don't. Here is my setup I just ordered.

23 x 3.75 RC Components Chrome Alien Wheel
13" Front 2 Piece Matching Rotor
ABS Bearing - $1799 (include wheel and rotor)
Avon Tire - $170 mounted and balaned
HHI X-23 bolt on Triple Trees - $709
HHI 6 Piston 13" Chrome Brake Caliper - $379
ThunderMax TracMax Reflex ABS - $239
Arlen Ness Chrome Single Disk Lower Legs - $589

Am I missing anything?
You got it man, like bless0 said just post plentyof pics and your review on the ride when your done!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah a second mortgage to pay for it all....LOL. send pics after its all done.
Yes it is a bit pricey. But the parts difference between a 21" and a 23" was only $1000. I still have to get it all installed so I need to get that quoted out. Hopefully no more then $1000. Gonna do my BR Custom 8" New Wave 3 bars at the same time.

Then I'm going to chill out until winter and do bags, sides, fender and tank w/paint.

At least I hope I can chill out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update :

I totally had a change of mind this week after seeing a Native Customs 180 front wheel RG. I was so impressed with it I cancelled my order for the 23 inch and all related accessories and ordered an 18 inch Alien wheel with a front hub in it. I REALLY loved the low look like a Hayabusa. I'm going to build a Harleybusa.

So I'm going with the 18 inch with a 13 rotor and 6 Piston caliper one side. I still have to change out the trees for a wider kit to accomadate spreading the forks for the 180. Native Customs sells a kit for $1350 for the 15 RG which includes trees by HHI, chrome forks on exchange, longer axle, spacers fork sliders and other parts. I will probably upgrade my forks to Arlan Ness cause they are prettier. The only kit listed on the website is for 1850 but thats for older bikes. Be sure to call Paul and talk to him. He will write or call you back.

Im pretty excited about this change although I lost a couple hundred for changing my order mid production. I'll be sure to keep you updated. Google native customs and check youtube to see one of their builds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Have you been able to secure an order? I've been watching their website for updates on a kit for the '15. Very interested in as much info and as many pictures as you can share.

Apparently their website is pretty outdated. Most products refer to 2013 bikes. I called and spoke with Paul and he said he "has 2015 kits ready to go". He did say that he had to send out some forks to get chromed so that may mean a week or two out. He includes forks in the kits for 2015 bikes on exchange which to me is a great deal and a better value then 1895. Again I'm going with Arlen Ness single side caliper brakes with hidden axle so I dont want the stock forks. Hopefully that means a discount in the price.

No I have not ordered yet. I just dropped a load on some headers, air cleaner and Tuner so I'm going to wait until next week to psych myself out that I'm not spending as much money as I really am. Plus my wheel is four weeks out and my BRCustoms handlebars is in week 7 of 12 so I'll order in time for everything to arrive at about the same time.

I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
That fat front tire is so bad ass. I personally would run a 200 fatty over the 23". Just ran into a guy last week that had a 180 on his RG. Looked real nice and there were no others like it at bike night. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.