Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide between Performance Machine Luxe front wheel or the Rotation Titan wheel for 2016 RGS. What tire size is generally recommended for the slightly larger wheel- 120 or 130? Thank you in advance for any help-

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I am trying to decide between Performance Machine Luxe front wheel or the Rotation Titan wheel for 2016 RGS. What tire size is generally recommended for the slightly larger wheel- 120 or 130? Thank you in advance for any help-
Most of those wheels are sized for a 120/70-21. I believe you’re looking at 3.5” wide wheels.

·
Registered
95 Posts
130 is standard, ABS Bearing (14-18 models will require the reflex bearing when running 120/70-21) Sport Chrome) You may want to check into this with the ones you are looking at.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Pretty sure my CVO is a 130
That may very well be. Probably a 130/60-B21?
The question is what is the common size for an aftermarket 21” wheel. More often then not your going to see a
120/70-21 reinforced 68H or 68V. Carries more weight. Has more sidewall.... 130/60-Bias ply 21 is not a common aftermarket size to use on an aftermarket 21” wheel. Is there somebody using one, probably. Hell, people put car tires on there bikes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That may very well be. Probably a 130/60-B21?
The question is what is the common size for an aftermarket 21” wheel. More often then not your going to see a
120/70-21 reinforced 68H or 68V. Carries more weight. Has more sidewall.... 130/60-Bias ply 21 is not a common aftermarket size to use on an aftermarket 21” wheel. Is there somebody using one, probably. Hell, people put car tires on there bikes.
I have a 21 on mine which I got from Eastern Performance. Manufacturer is Sport Chrome for the wheel. They have the option of running the 120 but say with their wheel you will have to change the abs bearing. Rather then spend another $30 for the bearing and the headache of changing more parts and possible problems I stayed with the 130 which is made by Dunlop. Yes the initial question, what was more common but I wanted to be sure to point out that abs may be a problem with a 120 and to double check with who ever when buying the wheel. Here is the link to wheel/tire package and the rating for the dunlop is less as you pointed out with a rating of 63H which is about 600lbs. My apologies if I wasn't clear on my statement or answer to the initial question.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Guys....not saying there isn’t a 130 to be used, that people don’t use them, that it looks funny or doesn’t work. I would argue that there are better tire choices but they’re just that, a choice. Harleys come with 130 Dunlop bias plys. That is not the common size for a custom 21” wheel.

Live2ride, No apology necessary friend. I wasn’t upset. I like to argue. ? That’s a good looking wheel by the way. I would argue that Dunlop and Sportchrome have a deal to push the 130 for some reason. Matching bias ply to bias ply maybe. I can’t for the life of me figure why they would need a different bearing for a 120 width vs a 130 width. The need for a different bearing rises from the change in wheel diameter sending the wrong info about the vehicle’s actual speed. 21” rotates less in a given distance so the information from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor on the trans) isn’t jiving with what the abs bearing is saying. Width doesn’t play a part in this information game. Or if it does I’m just not seeing the correlation. A 120/70-21, should, rotate the same number of times in a given distance as the 130/60-B21. Or be close enough that it’s negligible. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the 130/60-b21. It might even give a slightly softer ride being bias ply. The load rating is negligible and most people don’t, or can’t, ride their Harley baggers over 130mph so the speed rating isn’t going to matter.
Just like choosing a tire manufacture...Use whatever you feel better about Scottrgs. In fact I wouldn’t listen to me anyway. Pm Coastal moto or hogpro and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have run the Dunlop 130/60-21 and the Avon 120/70-21 with same wheel bearings in the front wheel. Changed tires mid season no difference to the abs.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I have run the Dunlop 130/60-21 and the Avon 120/70-21 with same wheel bearings in the front wheel. Changed tires mid season no difference to the abs.
My 120 Metzler is worn. Did you like the Dunlop or the Metzler better? Metzler not giving me much wear.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
9,130 Posts
I've run a 3.5 x 21 wheel since day one (10 years) and I chose the 120 tire simply because you have numerous companies that make a 120 x 21 so you always have options/choices. I think Dunlop might be the only company doing the 130 x 21 at this time.

·
Registered
519 Posts
For anyone else doing this, the 130-60-21 tire size is pretty new. Up until a few years ago all there was was the 120-70-21. Upgrading to a 21" (whether it be 21x3.25 or 21x3.5) either tire will work. On Rushmore models brackets are needed to raise the stock fender and either tire will fit fine with said brackets. You also need the special 21" abs bearing for the 21" wheel so that the ABS does not get thrown off. Not sure if there have been new products introduced for this, however last I heard the Ness ABS bearing is what was being used and it was wheel size specific.

I see this post is several years old, but information is a good thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm right in the middle of a wheel upgrade, and always good to have updated, or current info, even on an old thread. Especially since I was reading old info, lol!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts