Road Glide banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wondered this for a little while, so figured I would ask. The 21" seems like a pretty proven and popular wheel choice for a lot of Harley models. I have long been given the advice to not modify too heavily and limit my parts availability for long distance riding.

About 85% of my riding is local cruising, within a few hours of home. The other 15% is long distance multi-day trips. I really like the looks and idea of a 21" front wheel. I don't want to sacrifice tire availability if something were to go wrong while on a longer, multi-day trip. What has been your experience? Has anyone had problems sourcing a 21" tire while out on the road?

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

-c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,660 Posts
I have had problems sourcing any tires while on the road. The two times I needed a rear tire while on the road I was fortunate that while doing my nightly inspection of the bike I noticed that the wear bars were touching the road. I had to travel 250 miles to get tires, and they weren't exact matches but at least they were appropriate for the bike.

Another time I knew my front was dangerously low and found a dealer a couple hours away in the direction I was travelling.

Had I had a flat that couldn't be plugged, I would have had to settle for any ol tire that could get shoed onto the rim.

That said, I generally keep track of the mileage on my tires and change out early if I don't think the tire will last the trip. Better safe than sorry.

I don't know how changing to a 21 inch wheel and tire is accomplished, but could you run that for your 85% riding and put the stock wheel back on for a tour?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,926 Posts
I wouldn't give it a second thought. Assuming your 21" will be sporting a 120/70-21...very popular size. I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble finding a tire. I haven't had to yet but I'm not worried that I won't be able to find a tire on the road for my 21"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
699 Posts
Yamaha Raider comes with that size from the factory so there is that. No mods required so you could but the stocker back on for trips if you are getting low on tread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I could keep the 19" wheel around for long trips. My concern really isn't wearing the tread out, but more the unexpected failure and need of tire replacement. Even if I was riding I could anticipate the tire wear to the point of replacement. Then I could order a tire and have it delivered to a shop along the way. That would be a long trip for me though, if that was the case. My long trips are typically limited to 4 day trips around 1,000-1,500miles. Although, I have plans to lengthen those trips.

Thanks for the info on the Yamaha Raider. That will add another possibility of dealers to look at for a replacement tire if needed down the road.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top