Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of going to a 21" wheel. Anyone make the change from the 19" and regret doing so? Fat tire is out of the budget but the 21 has always been in the back of my mind. I know they say the 21 doesn't handle as well or is heavy. Just looking for honest feedback. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I've had no issues with the 21 in front. It's not really that noticeable of a difference. The biggest difference was that the bike sat higher and I didn't flat foot at stops as easily. Not a problem, just not super easy. I love twisty roads and it has been on a lot of good ones with the 21" front hoop with no issues. Keep in mind that the current CVO Road Glides come with a 21" front wheel.

If you can find one to take a spin on, I think you'll find it to not be an issue unless you are height challenged. Come east to MD, and you can take a spin on mine

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just know if your one of those detailed guys like me your going buy the rear as well just a heads up. I bought a front once it was on the bike the mismatched caused me to order the rear too. Just my 0.02.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just know if your one of those detailed guys like me your going buy the rear as well just a heads up. I bought a front once it was on the bike the mismatched caused me to order the rear too. Just my 0.02.
Agree have to be matching. So looking at a contrast cut enforcer wheel.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,429 Posts
I have three Glides in the garage, one stock, one 21, and one fatty. The fatty handles the best hands down. Not a noticeable difference between stock and the 21. When I first went 21 I lowered the front 2”, then later decided to rake it out 6 degrees so I could go back with the original travel, so now the steering isn’t as tight, but nothing the average person would ever notice. BTW I’ve changed the front of my 21 three times and still have the same rear, I have stretched bags and my rear wheel is truly not visible.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Go for it, for the look and it handle best for me.

Now you have matching front wheel in 21" that you haven't before.

I' m saving for a 21" now. 19" looks good but i prefer 21" look

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
e
Go for it, for the look and it handle best for me.

Now you have matching front wheel in 21" that you haven't before.

I' m saving for a 21" now. 19" looks good but i prefer 21" look
Totally agree!!! Just like your old bike Pit!!!Awesome sled.
Big fan of the 21s, Bars, and Chromed front end!!! Period!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
e
Totally agree!!! Just like your old bike Pit!!!Awesome sled.
Big fan of the 21s,vBars, and Chromed front end!!! Period!
Unfortunately, you're also a fan of single headlights. >:):grin:>:)

·
Registered
331 Posts
In terms of handling, I can’t tell any difference between the stock 19” front wheel and the 21” I put on my 2015 RGS a few years back. Definitely looks better though. The bike leaned a bit further on the side stand until I dropped the front suspension down 1”. Now other than it looking much better, to me there are no notable differences. When I changed the front wheel to a 21” I also went from chrome to black so changing the rear at the same time had to happen. Regardless, I’m a little anal about those sort of things and would have changed the back if it didn’t match the front perfectly anyway.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Never had any issues running a 21 on the front of my 08 SG other than the tire wore faster than the stockers. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the 15 up bikes need a fender change or spacers to clear the 21. 13 down didn't have that issue.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I’ll be the dissenting opinion here.

I had a 21”/lowered front end on my previous bike, and while it handled fine 90% of the time, it had some eerie handling in long, sweeping curves with elevation changes. Like it was slowly hunting in the lane on its way to a tank slapper. It was the pre-09 frame, so I added a touring link. Didn’t help. I would put the stock 16” back on for long trips. Sunday I was on the freeway behind a killer late model firefighter-theme bike with a fat front tire kit. As we went up an overpass that curved to the right, I watched it exhibit the same behavior. I puckered just watching it from inside my cage remembering what that felt like going through the Poconos on my old bike..... and just like that, any big wheel thoughts I’d been having for the last year disappeared. It’s just not a feeling I want to experience again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts