Road Glide banner

21 vs. 23 inch, To rake or not to rake!!

26K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  HD-RG-SD 
#1 ·
Okay, so I'm at the point of putting some serious money into my bike and I can't decide if I want to go with a 21" wheel or rake have a reputable builder cut and rake the frame and go with a 23". It is obviously more expensive to rake it but I'd rather only do this once.

As of now I plan to do extended bags and do the rear fender but I'm still unsure about doing the longer stretched bags and fender. Obviously I have a budget and I'm trying to keep this within a certain amount but certain things are better done together. I guess it comes down to a few choices.

1. Keep the front end stock and go with a 21" rim with normal extended bags.
2. Rake the front and go with a 23" rim with normal extended bags and a rear fender.
3. Rake the front and go with a 23" rim with longer extended bags and a rear fender.

Obviously, Number #3 would be what I want to do but the cost along with the other things I'm doing is going to put me over budget. Who has been here and what did you do? I only want to do a lot of this once and would rather not change the fender/bags or front rim in a year or two. Do those of you with 21" rims wish you went bigger? Do those of you with 23" in rims have any regrets.... and no, not meaning wishing you went with a 26" inch rim LOL.

HELP

See less See more
#3 ·
I know, but looked at two different bikes at this shop and didn't like the look of the bike that wasn't raked. It looked funny to me, sort of like the front end was stubby or hit a wall and was pushed in. Hard to explain to be honest. No offense if your bike isn't raked I just liked the raked look better.

#4 ·
I have a 21 and won't go bigger. Love the look and ride of it. All I'll say is the long swept bags and fender too ME belong with a 26. Something like the black death kit looks a little too long with a 23. Just my opinion

#5 ·
Then cut it. 7/7. Then you can always go with a 26 with just swapping out the trees. Here's my word of advice. Whatever size you decide make sure your happy with your decision. I regret not going to a 30. I will do it next year.

#9 ·
Get ahold of Ken @ Outlaw Baggers. He swears by the "Tricky" 9 degree trees. He runs them on his wife's bike that has a 23" wheel. Look him up on FB. His wife's bike is the white Street Glide. He's ran them on numerous bikes.

#14 ·
Hey all, I've been doing allot of reading on this topic and researching the costs and quality of the triple trees as I'm at the point of pulling the trigger on purchasing triple trees. I intend on going with a 23" wheel and a wrapped fender to include a Chin spoiler.

I've purchased the Wake kit from Scrub Cycles which is 6 down and 8 back, I don't like the crazy 12-18 back fenders, just looks stupid (no offense to anyone who has) having that much fender tail and bag hanging past the rear wheel (looks good parked and slammed to the ground).

I did put a 21" on my 2011 SG without changing the trees or fender, however if the fender isn't cocked or spacers installed to lift it up some, you can blister the paint, if the fender is moved in any way after wheel installation (see photo).

The three trees I was looking at and researching were Arlen Ness, HHI and Pickard; having read that Ness trees have issues and really don't look of quality, those are off my list.

I did have a builder tell me he only uses Bolt-on neck kits (if going that route) for the fact that once the neck is cut, raked and welded, you now have a frame that is considered salvaged (don't know how true that is but makes sense).

Attachments

#15 ·
Hey all, I've been doing allot of reading on this topic and researching the costs and quality of the triple trees as I'm at the point of pulling the trigger on purchasing triple trees. I intend on going with a 23" wheel and a wrapped fender to include a Chin spoiler.

I've purchased the Wake kit from Scrub Cycles which is 6 down and 8 back, I don't like the crazy 12-18 back fenders, just looks stupid (no offense to anyone who has) having that much fender tail and bag hanging past the rear wheel (looks good parked and slammed to the ground).

I did put a 21" on my 2011 SG without changing the trees or fender, however if the fender isn't cocked or spacers installed to lift it up some, you can blister the paint, if the fender is moved in any way after wheel installation (see photo).

The three trees I was looking at and researching were Arlen Ness, HHI and Pickard; having read that Ness trees have issues and really don't look of quality, those are off my list.

I did have a builder tell me he only uses Bolt-on neck kits (if going that route) for the fact that once the neck is cut, raked and welded, you now have a frame that is considered salvaged (don't know how true that is but makes sense).

Attachments

#16 ·
So I just pulled the trigger on a 23" setup through Pickard USA, $825 for the Triple tree and lowering/extension kit. Hope this will provide you with some cost analysis to where you can see if budget supports

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.