Road Glide banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to change cams on my bike. To keep the warranty I need to use Harley products. I was looking at the SE 255 but my mechanic is recommending the 211. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two cams? Thanks

·
Registered
654 Posts
As I can recall the 211 cam is a higher rev cam. Fun, but makes power at a higher rpm, means less low end torque. I don't know enough about the 255. Good luck. Oh ya, you are probably going to get lots of responses, cause there are so many different choices.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
255 is the stock cam in the CVO 110" engine. Nice torque down low but people will say it falls off early. I'm on my second CVO and even riding two up we don't have any issues. Can you tell us why the mechanic is recommending the 211?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Who told you that if you use something other than a HD cams, your warranty would be void? I'm currently running Fueling Reaper 574's, installed by HD, with no warranty issues at all...

SBG sends.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,476 Posts
Who told you that if you use something other than a HD cams, your warranty would be void? I'm currently running Fueling Reaper 574's, installed by HD, with no warranty issues at all...

SBG sends.

It must be up to the dealership or the ESP. My dealership says the same thing now about their Fidelity ESP that if you use Screamin' eagle parts they will cover your upgrades. I recall that they used to do a lot of T-man cams and would still cover but at some point they changed. They are even getting the 120R covered because it's Screamin' Eagle. Pretty curious as to how it really works.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Pretty curious as to how it really works.
How it works is corporate hand waving. The dealerships say "we've got a few customers out of several hundred that like to have us modify their bikes. If you'll cover those modifications, but only those made by us, we'll sell your policies and you'll make crap loads of money off the ones that never have a problem."

Extended warranties and extended service plans are HUGE money makers, right up there with $6 T-shirts selling for $35. When we bought our bike 2 weeks ago the pressure was HEAVY to buy the extended warranty. They don't like it when you say no.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I talked to the service dept at my dealership in Texas before the purchase and told them I do all my work myself. Told them as soon as it got home at was putting on D&D Fatcats and an Andrews 57H cam. Was that gonna be a problem with warranty? Manager told me no. If I ended up having engine problems down the road, be sure and bring the stock cams in with me just in case something related happened. Also talked to the head guy of the store and made sure he had my back too. No problem.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,476 Posts
I've also heard that if you are a good customer that doesn't fuss over every little thing that it can go a long way in getting the dealership to help your case. If you are one that is always raising cane and making blanket threats you shouldn't always expect to have your claim approved. Not saying you shouldn't ever complain about a problem but when you do; 1) Make sure you are right and can back it up with facts. 2) Kill them with kindness but be firm. Put yourself in their shoes and think that if I worked there, would I want to go to bat for ME to get this approved?

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
Lookup and READ the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act"

According the the Magnuson- Moss Warranty Act

"Warrantors CANNOT require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain warranty"

This means that you can use aftermarket parts and still retain the warranty and the HD dealer you are dealing with is FLAT OUT LYING TO YOU.

Read the link and then tell the dealer that you are familiar with the Magnuson-Moss warranty act and what they are doing is illegal.

As far as the dealers cam suggestions tell him to go SUCK AN EGG the SE255 cam would be a much better cam on the touring model the the SE211 cam and the aftermarket cams mentioned by Scott are way better cam options than any HD cam would ever be.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I ran the 211's in my last RG,now keep in mind this bike had 10 1/4 to 1 compression,with lots of head work 95 inch big bore,i loved this cam,BUT as said before this is not a cam even i would recommend for someone who does a lot of two up riding,from 2500 on this bike would pull very hard and up to the rev limiter,always chose a cam that fits your riding style,this bike was used less than 10% of the time for two up riding.I two am puzzled as to why they would recommend this cam.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The 255 cams tend to run a little hot and can be hard to start without compression releases. They do pull well down low and in my bike I think they still run well in the upper rpm ranges also. They need a good tune or they will ping. Just my opinion. Good luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
SE255 or 211's

I just had SE255's put in 2013 Roadglide today....I am not sure what "falling off" means, but these cams pull hard (read that again) HARD all the way to 6200 rpms (new rev limiter) with Power Commander V (not Power Vision) with a supplied map from Keith at Fuel Moto. As for heat no more tha I had before and I am sure that can be tuned out. Mileage, I can report on later....But these cams are great IMO. CSM-H

PS: last Harley was a 2006 E-Glide standard, 95", 204 cams, and other stuff...this one is much better....

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I just had SE255's put in 2013 Roadglide today....I am not sure what "falling off" means, but these cams pull hard (read that again) HARD all the way to 6200 rpms (new rev limiter) with Power Commander V (not Power Vision) with a supplied map from Keith at Fuel Moto. As for heat no more tha I had before and I am sure that can be tuned out. Mileage, I can report on later....But these cams are great IMO. CSM-H

PS: last Harley was a 2006 E-Glide standard, 95", 204 cams, and other stuff...this one is much better....
Falling Off is the term used when the cam starts loosing it's power in a certain RPM area. The 255 cam's start "falling off" around 4K rpm's, these cam's are designed to be down low, stump pulling torque made for heavier bikes like baggers. To get that much torque at such a low rpm you sacrifice high end power. So you may not notice them "falling off" but if you were to ride another bike with a cam meant for higher rpm power you'd def feel the difference. I have the 254 cam's in my bike, they pull like the 255 down low but continue to pull harder to redline than the 255's do.

·
Registered
333 Posts
In a touring machine, low-mid range torque is paramount.
A 255 will deliver that, as will an Andrews 48, or Wood 222.
Of those 3, we'd suggest the 48's.
Scott
Hey Scott, does that 48 work good with stk compression or is it better with a small bump?

·
Registered
92 Posts
SE255's

Falling Off is the term used when the cam starts loosing it's power in a certain RPM area. The 255 cam's start "falling off" around 4K rpm's, these cam's are designed to be down low, stump pulling torque made for heavier bikes like baggers. To get that much torque at such a low rpm you sacrifice high end power. So you may not notice them "falling off" but if you were to ride another bike with a cam meant for higher rpm power you'd def feel the difference. I have the 254 cam's in my bike, they pull like the 255 down low but continue to pull harder to redline than the 255's do.
Taccone, please read the comment again...I know what it means, I was trying to say that the cams do NOT fall off or hit a wall.... The bike weighs (900ish) how quick is it gonna go. The 255's are great if folks who were riding would just admit to how they truly ride [the big] bikes...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.