Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hell I know its a dumb question but hey I need a little understanding here lol. So I got my first big wheel last year. A 21 incher. I said I would never go to a big wheel because I actually put miles on my scoot. Anywho my question is why do you have to rake the frontend when you install a 23" wheel. I have a buddy that I argued up and down about this when he installed his 23" wheel without raking his frontend. All the riding he does is to bike night. I am gonna go 23 and I am gonna rake it but I just wanted to know the reason why it needs to be raked.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
Geometry, you can do a 23 without a raked tree, but your handling and steering will suffer. Also make sure you check clearance or the top of your front fender will suffer also. It's much more detailed, but that's a short explanation.

·
Super Moderator
2,872 Posts
Yeah, what dbell said. Another way to think of it is when you put a bigger wheel on the front, the frame becomes raised in the front. You're pointing more toward the sky. Maybe cool if you've got an old school chopper where form overrides function, but not good for a touring bike. You rake the front end and the frame is lowered back to a better angle for handling and steering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts