Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking 21, now I'm thinking 23. My plans are a 23 and leaving my stock 16 on the rear. Is this ok to do? Thinking Pickard Trees. Should I also do monotubes with the new trees? Can I still run my engine guard with my vented lowers with a 23? Guess I'm just wanting some feedback. Wanting to know who's running a 23 and what did u do to set it up and how it rides compared to stock. Pic would be a plus too! Thanks! :D

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just ordered a 23" Apollo from Drew at HogPro today. Great product and great service. I am also going to run Pickard trees with -1" monotubes. The other alternative is Pickard lowering kit that is only around $100. You will need trvel limiters so you don't dent your fender. I don't have any pictures since I just ordered it. It should be fine with stock rear, lowers, and engine guard. Take a look at Q-Hog's Ole yella build thread for a great looking bike with a 23 and lowers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
23 with Pickard trees and stock length monotubes no clips (per what the Progressive tech advised). The monotubes are worth every penny... I tried the Pickard lowering kit and a couple other setups before, and wished I'd just gone with monotubes to begin with. I used the "extended fork stops" from Pickard as an added measure for protecting the fender. Some prefer the nylon stops from HHI so it doesn't clank as loud when it bottoms... mine rarely hit the stops so it doesn't bother me.

Not sure about the stock 16 on the rear but I don't think it will be a problem... I switched mine to the 17. I'm pretty sure Pickard says their trees work with a 16, 17, or 18 rear.

Rides great, handles great. My crash bar isn't a problem so your vented lowers shouldn't be either.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
I sell 10 to 1 of the HHI trees nowadays as they cost a bit less and come with a polyurethane bump stop as opposed to the Pickard steel bump stop. Believe what you want about specific brands but the HHI trees are what I would put on my bike if doing a 23".

Thanks for your business Doug, it is greatly appreciated.

I'm not a fan of lowering the front end so there is my opinion on that. I run mono tubes but if I take my forks off again I will swap them out for the RaceTech kit of Ricor intiminators as the mono tubes are EXTREMELY STIFF. Great for high speed cornering but not so good over bumps.

I could not imagine how stiff lowered mono tubes are. Regardless, they are way better than stock but there are other options out there as well. Unfortunately the mono tube has become the front suspension of choice on this forum which leaves us without the benefit of reviews of other similar products.

Regardless, lowers should not be an issue with a 23" wheel. Engine guard will not be a problem either. The one thing that is important with a 23" is to ensure you have enough clearance between the front fender and the lower tree and crash bar. Depending on how much you lower the bike (I would not advise 2") and what kind of fender you choose this can all vary. I believe that 3" of clearance is what is recommended by Pickard.

Drew

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Mine are lowered 1" and rides great. My forks compress smooth over bumps. I would like for it to be a little stiffer.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I sell 10 to 1 of the HHI trees nowadays as they cost a bit less and come with a polyurethane bump stop as opposed to the Pickard steel bump stop. Believe what you want about specific brands but the HHI trees are what I would put on my bike if doing a 23".
Just curious, what do you like about the HHI trees vs. the Pickard trees? I know several going with the HHI trees but its mainly because they are more familiar with that brand in general. From a design point of view I didn't feel like the HHI trees were superior to the Pickard trees... at least that was my first impression.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
The bump stops that HHI provides are polyurethane thus no clunk if you bottom out in comparison to Pickard's steel bump stops which will make a clunk when you bottom out. Aside from that the trees are extremely similar.

Drew

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great info guys! Thanks! Q-Hog, what is your setup? U running the Pickard trees with -1 Monotubes? What is your back wheel size? If I use -1 Monotubes, my windshield will not set any lower than it does now, will it? If that makes since. I'm 6.2 and running a 8" KW shield, so I don't want the front end to set down any lower than stock.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm a big guy so I like the stiffness of the monotubes. I would just use hard rubber HD bump stops or make my own as they are cheaper. Nothing wrong with HHI at all but I like the idea of being able to adjust the Pickard trees from the bottom. Can't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great info! Another question. How does the 23 ride in some twisties compared to stock?

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Everyone has their likes and dislikes and I an aware mine are probably different than many others. Regardless, a 23" with trees will ride equally as good stock if not better mainly due to the extra stiffness of the billet aluminum trees which are much more stable than the stock cast trees.

I don't have any pics but if you put the two sets of trees next to each other you will see there is a hug difference between 23" trees and stock trees.

Drew

·
Registered
52 Posts
Great info! Another question. How does the 23 ride in some twisties compared to stock?
I think it takes a little more effort to throw the bike into sharp low speed turns... not so much that I regret doing the 23.

I don't have any pics but if you put the two sets of trees next to each other you will see there is a hug difference between 23" trees and stock trees.

Drew
Yes, huge difference. 23 trees make the stock trees look unsafe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts