Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
$25 solution for HANDS FREE operation of PTT UPDATE (04/29/18)

UPDATE" 04/29/18 - dead links from postimage updated

I was talking to a couple guys online about this...and seemed to be a worthwhile trial run... so why not.

The ONLY thing our 2015/2016 RG/RGS's are missing for PTT is a microphone...so taking some advice from others with 'tinkeritis like me... I dove right in to make this work.

I did a little research on noise-cancelling mics and found the Olympus ME52W was a good overall choice from the reviews I have read for such a small unit... I wanted it small, not too bulky and able to angle it... this was it. $18 at Best Buy.

Now I needed a 3.5mm jack... small and compact. 2 pack at RadioShack for $4 here is the jack and mic...

Using the wiring diagrams in the Service Manual and following the positive and negative leads for the microphone... they lead to pin#1 (RED) and pin#3 ( Black ) on the P&A Audio connector. ( TAN PLUG on top of the radio... NOT THE BLACK ONE )

I unpinned the #1 and #3 leads from the P&A Audio connector and to test everything before I hard-wired, I used alligator test leads to hook it all up... it worked! ( crude pic, but you get the idea )

The best unsightly location for the mic jack was dead center just above the HU... out of sight...and out of direct wind. So I drilled a hole and found the plastic to be almost 3/16" thick there... so I had to recess the jack a little into the besel.

After test-fitting the jack... it all came out.. I soldered all connections, insulated connections and jack and installed the jack and PRESTO! I have a fully operational PPT mic mounted on my RGS.

I have used it in the garage to test for phonecalls and I was told it was crystal clear on the other end.

FURTHER TESTING... 75mph with a Thunder Header... wife on phone at home hears me perfect with no noise... I have to talk loud, but she can't tell.... I do have the Arc 600.4... so this helps with hearing and carrying on a conversation. Some adjustments to volume and settings within the HU may be necessary to achieve a quality sound.

I tested a few voice commands and works for music and navigation... though I don't know all the commands yet.

I know more now.... navigation commands can be done in one long sentence.. works like a charm! Change your radio station.... change to next song on usb stick and much much more!

For less than $25... you can't beat it.

UPDATE: 10/17/16- links were broken, I fixed them. ( thanks Photobucket ! Broke again)

UPDATE: 10/10/17- pics are now on postimage....

UPDATE" 04/29/18 - dead links from postimage updated

·
Registered
684 Posts
any updates on how it is when riding? I am tempted to pull the trigger and do this, but I dont want to drill into the fairing if it only works when the bike is sitting or with the motor off.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
336 Posts
Plugging that mic (or another) into an extension wire, and clipped inside a full-face helmet or on a boom mounted to your chinstrap on a half-face might work. I see it's got a foam wind guard on it. Those will sometimes amplify wind noise. But it might be an option, since you've already got the hardware in place. You can also get a throat mic, that is immune to wind noise. Don't give up. I'm a cheap bastard, and I like to cut corners wherever possible. I'll be subscribing to this post. Thanks for the "head's up", Spazz!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi spazz I found this after looking at your soundz audio thread.. any chance of updating the links?

thanks man

looks like Ill be buying some new speakers soon enough...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi spazz I found this after looking at your soundz audio thread.. any chance of updating the links?

thanks man

looks like Ill be buying some new speakers soon enough...
I will try to get to it... gimme some time

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Dont see any links...

Does this allow me to use my Phone throught he BOOM system while I am riding and listening to music? A YT video would be cool if you can find some time to make one.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Dont see any links...

Does this allow me to use my Phone throught he BOOM system while I am riding and listening to music? A YT video would be cool if you can find some time to make one.
I have to relocate pics from Photobucket to imagepost.... I have 4 years worth of crap that surfaces like this... I get to them when I can...i will get pics transferred tonight... I have time open today...

Yes... you can also take calls thru the Boom as well

·
Registered
684 Posts
Spazz is the king of cool ass youtube vids. I still think that gear360 is over the top. BTW nice 80's throwback with KoolMoeDee.

Mike

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Spazz is the king of cool ass youtube vids. I still think that gear360 is over the top. BTW nice 80's throwback with KoolMoeDee.

Mike
Hahaha... you like that huh? Lol

And thanks

·
Registered
684 Posts
Spazz, I have to tell you, IMHO 80% of the music out there today is total garbage. I mean junk. Hardley anyone has any creativity anymore.

The dawn of rap from the late 70's till the early 90's puts the shit today to shame. And dont even get me started with "pop" music today. ugh.

I am starting to become jurasic in my music. 40's big band to the 90's is about all I can stand any more.

Of course there is still all kinds of good stuff in that time frame. You had the rat pack and the dawn of R and B and soul. Later you had rock and that brought us into the 60's which was transformational musically.

OK enough of my tangant, but yeah I liked it. LOL

Mike

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All pics should now work..
please let me know if they dont

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
they dont. sorry
They do now....>:) Post image must have relocated stuff on their servers... all links were dead, but still showed... different links now...

Thanks for letting me know

1 - 15 of 15 Posts