Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search for some info on this but didn't have much luck so any input will be helpful.

I have a '13 Custom with a Heavy Breather, Fullsac Sport Pipe, 4' Rineharts, & TTS Mastertune.

I tend to like the 0-whatever's pretty fast and cruise around 75-80 with the occasional runs into higher numbers. I like low end torque and mid range punch for passing and climbing in hills without downshifting if I can avoid it and split my riding time about 50/50 solo & 2up. My wife only weighs 100 lbs so she doesn't add much to the equation weight wise.

My plan is to swap cams and get a tune from Doc.

I can get 255 with about 1500 miles for cheap from a friend or buy 204 new...

Can anybody offer up any info on the contrast in these two and benefit of a 255 aside from it costing about $250 less because it's used.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The HD cams are EPA compliant so they are a good cam to stay away from if you want a good cam go with a aftermarket cam.
I have the Woods 222 and I love them but Andrews, T-Man among other manufactures make good cams too.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you are getting it cheap, then the 255 cams are a great upgrade. That's what I have in the wife's Softail because I got them for free. If you are spending money on cams, then I'd go with Andrews 48's personally.

I know that Doc is fond of the 255 cams.

Whichever cam you want to use, get comfortable with your decision prior to getting the tune. It really gets expensive dyno tuning cam after cam.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I'm running the 255's because I got them for little of nothing and the dealer won't give me crap on warranty work. However, I really do like them. I do not ride in the upper band, and these have right off idle torque for 2 up riding. Don't have to rev it up and feather the clutch to get rolling when loaded, and I still get 46 mpg 2 up and loaded down with luggage.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Interested in this as well.....I just installed 255 after removing 254 cams and I think the for 254 were better but I'm looking for some more snap or torque that I would get with the 254 but I want it earlier not later.

·
Banned
845 Posts
I had the SE204 cams in a 2012 wide glide. It dyno'd around 91-92hp and around 100 ftlbs torque. It hit right out the gate from about 1000rpms to 3500rpms then fell off from the there. Basically the 255 is a good cam for touring if your already at a cruising speed and get on it... Say to pass !
The 204 was great from a dead stop and getting on it... It would give you everything right out of the gate then fall off but still will pick up more HP and TQ everywhere compare to stock cam

·
Registered
967 Posts
I will go to aftermarket but since Doc is tuning the bike he will guide you right, ask him for recommendations.
Am running Andrew 57H tuned by Doc . Very please.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went with the 255 because they were CVO take-offs and I got a really good deal on them. Put them in and downloaded a base tune from TTS. I put 100 or so miles on them yesterday to get a feel for them and so far I like them. I'll put in some seat time this weekend and have a better idea.

Do any of you guys have any experience with a canned tune VS something Doc has tuned. I know I will get a tune specific to my bike with him on the dyno, as opposed to a blanket approach. I'm just wondering how much different the two might be.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts