Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what a 103 can do with a great tune, sert, 255's a boyesen power x intake and an rb racing lsr spider pipe. cool:

The bike accelerates cleanly from 1900 rpm on up! :D Yes I know it can be hard on the bottom end. NO it is not lugging...LOL:D

The power is smooth and there is no "drop" in power as you will hear preached about 255 cams... THIS IS INEXPENSIVE POWER THAT IS ESP FRIENDLY!:p

110ft/lbs and 95hp. NOTHING TO SNEEZE AT!:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Much nicer curves in your 103 w/255s than the stock 110s ~ must be the heads, are they stock 103 heads?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Much nicer curves in your 103 w/255s than the stock 110s ~ must be the heads, are they stock 103 heads?

Yep that is a very happy chart for a stage 2 with 255s.

But all that really matters is that the OP is pleased.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) great numbers!

A great tune matched up with an intake and exhaust that maximize velocity going in and out of the cylinder goes a long way in making a motor work right.:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not really "happy" Parts work well together and tune is very good

Yep that is a very happy chart for a stage 2 with 255s.

But all that really matters is that the OP is pleased.

Not "Happy" actually

ReVerified on 2 other dyno's this weekend.

+/- 2ft lbs and +/- 3 hp and both of them

I know of 3 ways to manage airflow in a air cleaner to increase efficiency and decrease turbulence going through a throttle body... The boyesen intake really makes a difference in velocity, the exhaust helps the top end as well...

Rare example of stars aligning and parts working together.:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mountainman--The exhaust is 1 3/4" or 2"? I'm assuming 1 3/4" since you have stock heads.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Not "Happy" actually

ReVerified on 2 other dyno's this weekend.

+/- 2ft lbs and +/- 3 hp and both of them

I know of 3 ways to manage airflow in a air cleaner to increase efficiency and decrease turbulence going through a throttle body... The boyesen intake really makes a difference in velocity, the exhaust helps the top end as well...

Rare example of stars aligning and parts working together.:D
An optimized Intake and exhaust system followed by a “great tune” will allow for maximum utilization of a cams design characteristics throughout the RPM range. They will NOT however, push power levels beyond the physical design characteristics of the cams RPM power band.

Could you post the charts of the 2 other re-verified dyno pulls?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cams design?

1 3/4" headpipes, You really would need an EXTREMELY well built 103 with 325+ flowing heads to take advantage of 2" headpipes in my opinion. I just don't know if you can fully utilize 2" headpipes and not sacrifice bottom end efficiencies.

AS FOR THE NAYSAYERS....

What happens when you MANAGE air going INTO the head? More airspeed! Less turbulence! Higher cylinder fill efficiencies! BTW don't think boyesen was being a GENIUS with this design... First time I can remember seeing this type of device controlling airflow speeds was on pictures of german rockets from WW2! Almost Nothing is ever new. Just a reinvention of a previous idea.

Maybe just maybe all the bench racers out there don't understand airspeed management and airspeed efficiencies by matching components?

Maybe the bench racers never paid attention to fluid dynamics? Maybe you all need to get in the tub with a rubber ducky and see what happens behind the ducks tail as he goes through the water? The shape at the back of a bullet is more important to it's speed and accuracy than what's at it's front. Much the same If we are leaving our heads stock we need to manage the air's passage into the throttle body

Trial and error are fine... It's a lot easier to use the internet and just test out the marketing and challenge advertisers to "PROVE" their claims are true. Look at Boyesen's website and see what the sae dyno for their intake and a 255 cam with factory decatted pipe looks like... Not surprising it has a dip... Turbulence will do that. CUTTING OUT THE CAT? Talk about a good way to make a pipe perform like crap! Any high air speed 2-1 Drago, wegner, fuel moto, rb racin or EXTREMELY efficient 2-1-2 ie fuel moto or kuryakyn will match my numbers with a 255 properly tuned to match the intake.

Maybe you don't understand the importance of venting gasses out of the heads and crankcase?

Maybe just maybe the bench racers don't understand the importance of a WFO break-in with a 500LB load on to maximize ring seat pressure.

Maybe bench racers don't understand the importance of knowing your best source of 93 octane fuel that has minimal alcohol day in and day out.....

Maybe a proper tune is only part of the equation?

Maybe my 2800ft lb/800hp cummins n25, 425/425 vortech 383 and 3 different rifles shooting knots in 3's show I am finally learning something after all these years!

Then again I could be full of chit!:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Air management

I need to adjust these numbers after a proper tune. 95 and 116.
About 3 months ago a friend rented a dyno for a day and tried 9 different intakes on 3 different bikes.

Another friend tried out his new intake on 5 different bikes recently as well.

I learned a whole new respect for "air management" after analyzing their results...

I believe we all need to examine how air goes INTO the throttle body more closely.

I have found MANAGING the airflow is entirely more important than we realize...

The motor requires more than volume, minimizing turbulence is only the start. We need to control the shape of the airflow to increase speed and efficiency.

S&S, moco, Boyesen all have different ways of doing it, boyesen seems to be better for tbs under 53mm?

I really like the s&s dual runner but it seems to have issues with turbulent flow at certain rpms with certain tb opening sizes.

The boysen works great for me with factory heads and 255's. It also works great with ported heads and a hpi modded factory tb and couple 51's and 53's I have seen tested..

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm getting ready to find out ....Next week ...Upgrading my 2012 RGU

I have looked at different combs for over a year,,,Going with the following

1.Boyesen Power Intake
2.Cyclerama 575 Cam
3.Supertrapp 2 into 1
4.Dyno Tune

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm getting ready to find out ....Next week ...Upgrading my 2012 RGU

I have looked at different combs for over a year,,,Going with the following

1.Boyesen Power Intake
2.Cyclerama 575 Cam
3.Supertrapp 2 into 1
4.Dyno Tune

I can't wait to see how this combo works... Sounds promising to me.:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Boyesen Air "X"

Mountainman, hey there this sounds like a really good product and it's been around for a while. But my question is if it's so good; why aren't more folks using it (Harley owners) and it also states on the website; sound be used in conjunction with a stage one download, could that be the cause of the better acceleration and smoothing? Just asking. CSM-H

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good Question?

If people are throwing on the boyesen with 255's and any good pipe they are going to need a whole lot more than a stage 1 tune to make it run right.

I know of 4 bikes making similar numbers with the boyesen and drago, d+d and thunderheader pipes.

When I saw the dyno on boyesen's site I knew they were full of doodoo or on to something...

Of course boyesen has been mastering airflow for almost 40 years. When I saw an opportunity to get the whole setup for les than $175 and I knew the exhaust I got for $500 would compliment it I had to try it.

Not bad for a budget build.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts