Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received 2nd degree burns from my heated seat. I sent MoCo information about this incident and a picture of my injuries. WARNING: The attached pic may be viewed as offensive by some!

I sent the attached letter and picture and was told by the Harley Customer non-Care representative that since the dealer's temperature measurements were "normal", they would not replace my seat. The seat is under warranty. I id explain that this issue was likely intermittent (I am an engineer) and is likely related to my shifting weight, road vibration, temperature, humidity, road bumps, etc.

Any recommendations on how to proceed? I have contacted two "scum sucking" personal injury firms. They did say that this could also be a low suit for product liability in addition to "pain and suffering" etc. I hate to go this route and truly just want the damn seat replaced. Obviously, I am not interesting in using this heated seat again. I had to ride 1,500 miles with these injuries and do not want to experience this injury again.

Recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ouch big time! Glad you healed ok, that would be an easy place to get infected, not good. If Harley is going to be ignorant to the potential trouble this could be, especially when all you want is the seat replaced, I say you gave them a chance. I wouldn’t mess with them much. It does seem as though the seat may have had an intermittent problem. Seems they would want it to test it, etc. Seems like the pic should get their attention and some action. Document well and see if the lawyers get any attention.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
My heated gloves actually burned my hands once. I couldn’t believe my skin was like sunburned when I pulled them off. I felt the discomfort & had shifted the gloves around on my hands - just kind of itchy heat - but didn’t think I was getting any actual burn. No biggie on the backs of my hands but I can see sitting pressure could make it worse on your butt. Now I just keep gloves set lower if I use them.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
If HD is not wiling to replace the seat then I would have a lawyer send the letter to them. It is amazing how fast companies respond and how willing they are to cooperate when they've read a letter written on certain letterhead paper. It may be all it takes. Best of luck and kudos to you for not being one of those get rich quick so-called Americans. Although, you would be completely justified for some kind of compensation for your injuries.

·
Registered
505 Posts
From a physiologic standpoint, if you are a diabetic or have neuropathy, you may be more prone to burns due to lack of sensation.

In any case, I don't blame you for wanting your seat replaced.

I have been riding with Corbin heated seats for over 20 years and have never experienced anything like that.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Damn, talk about 'roasting chestnuts on an open fire' ... Pick a favorite lawyer and release the hounds. MoCo needs to figure out what happened there and make damn sure it never happens again.

Yikes!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I had one friend that this happened with the heated gloves. The heat control knob didn’t cycle on and off and locked on wide open with the thermostat not controlling the flow of voltage. He knew his hands were pretty warm when it was happening but didn’t know the severity until he pulled the gloves off at a gas stop. The temp control is no doubt the culprit.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I received 2nd degree burns from my heated seat. I sent MoCo information about this incident and a picture of my injuries. WARNING: The attached pic may be viewed as offensive by some!

I sent the attached letter and picture and was told by the Harley Customer non-Care representative that since the dealer's temperature measurements were "normal", they would not replace my seat. The seat is under warranty. I id explain that this issue was likely intermittent (I am an engineer) and is likely related to my shifting weight, road vibration, temperature, humidity, road bumps, etc.

Any recommendations on how to proceed? I have contacted two "scum sucking" personal injury firms. They did say that this could also be a low suit for product liability in addition to "pain and suffering" etc. I hate to go this route and truly just want the damn seat replaced. Obviously, I am not interesting in using this heated seat again. I had to ride 1,500 miles with these injuries and do not want to experience this injury again.

Recommendations?
One call, that's all. Have an attorney talk to them.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Recommendations?
I have sense been contacted by the dealer. Harley wants me to ride my bike to the dealer and have the dealer send the seat in for their engineers to test. One concern I have is if they claim "no trouble found", it make may it more difficult to fight later if I choose to go the legal route. Also, since this is an intermittent problem due to a lot of external factors (such as my now scarred but shifting on the seat), I don't see them finding the issue without opening up the seat to have access to the electronics. Can they open up the seat to test the internal circuitry without damaging the seat?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Man, sorry this happened to you. Reference your last post, I would imagine that they want the whole bike so they can test the circuitry of the bike, to make sure the bike itself isn't causing it. I would say it isn't the bike, but they probably want to rule that out. I'm sure they can dismantle the seat to check the innards without damaging it. The cover is usually just stapled or riveted on. Once that's off, then they can see what they're dealing with. I would think that if that thing got that hot to burn you, then there's got to be some damage to the foam, etc under the cover.
At least you got their attention, but if it were me, I'd seek some legal advice before giving them your bike.
Lil Chief

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I have sense been contacted by the dealer. Harley wants me to ride my bike to the dealer and have the dealer send the seat in for their engineers to test. One concern I have is if they claim "no trouble found", it make may it more difficult to fight later if I choose to go the legal route. Also, since this is an intermittent problem due to a lot of external factors (such as my now scarred but shifting on the seat), I don't see them finding the issue without opening up the seat to have access to the electronics. Can they open up the seat to test the internal circuitry without damaging the seat?

This is real simple then. They give you a new seat and they can have that one. That’s how warranty works. If they don’t like that they can contact your lawyer to get the seat. See, pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
i'd say that the MoCo will likely respond better to a lawyer who can explain their absolute liability. Also, don't forget the dealer that sold/installed it is not owned by MoCo but a privately owned entity with proximate liability. The dealer has shallower pockets and will likely become an advocate in resolving this.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
That’s some pretty bad burns. Your also lucky you didn’t wreck your bike. I would definitely think about what your next move is going be.

·
Registered
741 Posts
That’s some serious burns, good luck moving forward.
Burns aside you got a...

https://youtu.be/P4VySkRVYhI
😂🤣😂
I wasn’t going to say it but....the Nord’ is right!
Sounds like some here want to see before and after pics :nerd:

If you're going to pursue legal action do not send that seat to HD, your lawyers are going to want their own engineers looking at this. It's time someone holds their ass to fire, HD puts out subpar products yet charge a premium for them. I'd make them pay bigly.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Sounds like some here want to see before and after pics :nerd:

If you're going to pursue legal action do not send that seat to HD, your lawyers are going to want their own engineers looking at this. It's time someone holds their ass to fire, HD puts out subpar products yet charge a premium for them. I'd make them pay bigly.
Hey ‘Glock! Don’t judge us! :grin:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts