Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently looking at doing a speaker upgrade on my 13 roadglide with the stock head unit. Looking at different brands of speakers (sooo many ) and I get confused big time on all the speaker lingo. I'm wanting a good quality speaker that will plug and play with the HK head. But, I also want a speaker that will run good off that but also will have the capabilities to to pushed by a AMP later on. The 2 and 4 ohm thing seems to be the biggest thing I run into and have no idea which I need.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The stock speakers are 2ohm. Using 4ohm speakers, you'd see a little less output from the stock head unit...unless you were using multiple speakers on each side, wired in parallel. (four total) In that case, two four ohm drivers would result in a 2ohm load.

If you just want a two speaker set up, go with the 2ohm drivers and look for a power handling capacity that would be more than any amp you might add later on.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I found this online article to be helpful when I was choosing my setup Series Parallel Speaker Impedance As posted earlier, HK is 2 ohm, go 2 ohm but make sure your speaker choice can handle the watts a future amp would drive.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Ohms is resistance.... so ( without an amp ) a 4 ohm speaker will output 50% LESS than a 2 ohm speaker with your HK head unit that is rated at 2 ohms output.

That being said.. adding 4 ohm speakers to your system will cut the output in half

Next... if you just add 2 ohm speakers now....keep in mind that if you plan on adding an amp later on, ensure the amp is 2 ohm stable and not just rated at 4 ohms or you will have issues. Just throwing this out there for insight later on.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found this online article to be helpful when I was choosing my setup Series Parallel Speaker Impedance As posted earlier, HK is 2 ohm, go 2 ohm but make sure your speaker choice can handle the watts a future amp would drive.
Exactly what I needed to know. So the J&M 7.25s that's 2omh and rated to handle 140+watts would be good?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Exactly what I needed to know. So the J&M 7.25s that's 2omh and rated to handle 140+watts would be good?
They will work and certainly sound better than stock. That being said, a set of Kappa 62.11s are also 2 ohm, but are way cheaper (can easily find them for just over $100) and will more than hold their own very well with the far more expensive JM. (If you haven't looked around much, it's a love/hate with JM)

FWIW, just adding speakers will only wet your appetite and you won't be happy for long. You can go with the Kappa's, a fosgate pbr 300x2 amp, and install kit and have way better sound than stock for about $300 total.

PS: Once you get an amp, it doesn't matter what the HU is rated at, you just need the amp to be stable at the same ohm rating as your speakers. You'll find that most of the better amps are 2/4 ohm stable, and most of your better speakers are the 4 ohm variety.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They will work and certainly sound better than stock. That being said, a set of Kappa 62.11s are also 2 ohm, but are way cheaper (can easily find them for just over $100) and will more than hold their own very well with the far more expensive JM. (If you haven't looked around much, it's a love/hate with JM)

FWIW, just adding speakers will only wet your appetite and you won't be happy for long. You can go with the Kappa's, a fosgate pbr 300x2 amp, and install kit and have way better sound than stock for about $300 total.

PS: Once you get an amp, it doesn't matter what the HU is rated at, you just need the amp to be stable at the same ohm rating as your speakers. You'll find that most of the better amps are 2/4 ohm stable, and most of your better speakers are the 4 ohm variety.
Thanks man, ill check em out

·
Registered
758 Posts
Thanks man, ill check em out
I forgot to add that you will also need adapter rings to fit the bigger speakers in the stock hole. You can still add those and be out the door for around $300 with an amp. If you care about FM reception the pbr won't interfere.

The pbr/kappas is probably the best bang for the buck setup available that keeps FM reception. The only problem with audio is the addiction. Once you get a taste it's hard not to want more.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I believe that most marine grade speakers are 2 ohm and don't buy any speaker that is not marine grade because the speakers will get wet when washing the bike or riding in the rain.
I got off the extra money and went with J&M products which can be bought at less $ at some J&M dealers than you can get them from J&M direct even with the 10% forum discount J&M offers.
I believe that in most cases you get what you pay for and J&M is top quality and if you get the J&M 7.25 speakers then get the rokkers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the kapps marine grade? I'm with ironmark on wanting whatever I get to be marine grade

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Having gone the same route, on my 2013 RGC, without prior research thought I'd put in my 2 cents. I bought the J&M XX Rocker 7.25" and installed. Was better than stock in all aspects but what wouldn't be. During install realized I needed to order separately the grills with the mid-tweet option so did that and installed later. Found some improvement and rode it for a year like this, woman on the back could not hear it at highway speeds and was not particularly happy about that. Two weeks ago installed the 330 watt XXR amp and major improvement in volume. Only have about 40 miles on it and haven't made any adjustments to the head as we were not alone so can't comment on distortion but mamma can hear it at any speed.

I obtained all the components from DCP in Texas, my go to aftermarket supplier. Get 20+ % off, no tax, free shipping.

Was it worth the cash? Today, having read the many opinions of others on this forum over the last year I almost certainly would have gone another direction. Given the cost I expect it to last years, if they do I believe I will be satisfied. I don't know much about audio equipment and this set up is plug and play, very easy install and no adjustment required.

JMHO

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You can use either on the 2ohm head unit without any damage, but like someone said, 4ohm speakers from a 2ohm head unit are only gonna utilize about half of the available power. If you plan to add an amp later, make sure it matches the ohm and power ratings of your speakers. The HU ohms become irrelevant at that point.

Get the best speakers you can find for the money you have to spend. I've never seen a real benefit from using marine grade speakers. They generally don't sound as good as a high quality regular speaker. Rain doesn't bother most high grade speakers, and as far as washing it goes, don't use a pressure washer, neither your ignition nor air cleaner like them.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I forgot to add that you will also need adapter rings to fit the bigger speakers in the stock hole. You can still add those and be out the door for around $300 with an amp. If you care about FM reception the pbr won't interfere.

The pbr/kappas is probably the best bang for the buck setup available that keeps FM reception. The only problem with audio is the addiction. Once you get a taste it's hard not to want more.
Is the kappas your talking about the 62.11i ? And will those speakers with the RF pbr300x2 all plug and play into my 13 rg with stock head?

·
Registered
408 Posts
I believe that most marine grade speakers are 2 ohm and don't buy any speaker that is not marine grade because the speakers will get wet when washing the bike or riding in the rain.
I got off the extra money and went with J&M products which can be bought at less $ at some J&M dealers than you can get them from J&M direct even with the 10% forum discount J&M offers.
I believe that in most cases you get what you pay for and J&M is top quality and if you get the J&M 7.25 speakers then get the rokkers.
wow just so much misinformation here, no offense to you but J&M is hardly top quality. They are above average but they are no where near as good as Biketronic Titan or Pro's nor as good as Arc Moto 602's (all three of which are water resistant/waterproof and 4 ohm). DD, JL Audio and many others are marine grade and 4 ohm.

·
Registered
408 Posts
To the original poster, you'll want to look at the Infinity Kappa's. The cones on the Kappas are made of injected carbon glass fiber and hold up very well against the elements. They will be your best bang for the buck and leave room for an amp in the future. If you want truely waterproof, then the JBL's (can't remember the model number) should be close in price but just not as good in sound quality.

An amp like the Cerwin Vega B52 (2 channel)/B54 (4 channel) or maybe a PN4.1000 if you want some power, all of these can be purchased for under $150 each

·
Registered
408 Posts
Is the kappas your talking about the 62.11i ? And will those speakers with the RF pbr300x2 all plug and play into my 13 rg with stock head?
that's the kappas, yes

no they will not be plug and play, you'll need to make some connections. There are tons of videos on youtube showing how to do this.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that's the kappas, yes

no they will not be plug and play, you'll need to make some connections. There are tons of videos on youtube showing how to do this.
Thanks

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yes, I'm referring to the 62.11i Kappas.

Plug and play is kind of misleading. No matter what amp you buy, you have to run power from the battery to the fairing for the amp. If you have the ability to remove your outer fairing, gas tank, and install the power/ground wires for the amp - you have more than enough talent to do anything else required for a stereo system. The pbr runs on high level inputs - that means you cut the wire from the HU to the speakers and reroute it to the amp and then run wires from the amp to speaker. For a really clean install guys prefer soldered/shrink wrapped connections, but I've used simple crimped connectors many times without an issue. Again, powering the amp is as complicated as anything else.

The amps Bunker mentioned are great entry level amps also, I'm not sure if they impact FM reception or not.

As Bunker also stated, marine grade limits your choices and is highly overrated. I've had non-marine grade speakers in downpours for extended times (hours) and never had a problem. Like he said, just don't hit them with a pressure washer or submerge them and you'll be fine with any quality speaker.

It's easy to turn yourself in circles talking about the good, better and best of speakers, but take the time to check out the audio sections of other forums and you'll find out pretty quickly what brands are very well respected and which ones are overpriced for what you get. If warranty is important to you, there's only one vendor I'm aware of that has a lifetime warranty, and that's one of the reasons they're stuff is on my bike.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Is there a amp that doesn't have to be ran to the battery and can be hooked into the HU power source without a problem? Also, if I decided to just buy the speakers for now which speaker will be the easiest and closest to plug and play?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Is there a amp that doesn't have to be ran to the battery and can be hooked into the HU power source without a problem? Also, if I decided to just buy the speakers for now which speaker will be the easiest and closest to plug and play?
No amp that I'm aware of would tie into the radio. To produce the power needed, they need a dedicated fused power supply straight from the battery.

Just speakers are easy. Anything worth having (6.5 or bigger) will require adapter rings (easily screw into existing stock mount). Other than that you just pull off the stock speaker wires and attach them to the new speakers, make sure you get the +/- correct. It's a piece of cake, don't overthink it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts