Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just got a new set of Dunlop tires for my 11 RGU, Instead of attached wheel weights, service mgr said they now use a 2oz balance bead bag inside each wheel.

Today while on the interstate when I reached/exceeded 65mph the front end started to vibrate/oscillate like riding over a continuous rippling road. When I dropped my speed below 60mph it went away. Section of interstate was smooth, I've driven on it for years and never felt this road "feedback" before.

I "suspected" the bag was not positioned correctly in the front tire so I pulled over, stopped, then resumed my ride home. Brought the speed up to 70mph and could not replicate the vibration/oscillation.

Has anyone experienced this happening with this new method of balancing a tire?

regards,

·
Registered
8,195 Posts
Its not a new method cuz people have been using the dyna beads for quite awhile. It definitely sounds like a balance problem. Your tires may require more beads to be installed. Bring it back to them and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Definitely not a new method, although some dealers are just now catching up. The beads don't stay in the bag, it's just measured out that way. I have heard of the beads clumping if too much moisture gets in the tire.

I have also heard that in some cases more than 2 ounces is required to prevent the vibration. I have run dynabeads in my last couple bikes with no issues. I prefer them to standard weights.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Just a thought - and I would hope no dealership did this . . . but I wonder if they actually threw the bag in instead of dumping the beads in???? Surely it would vibrate like crazy all the time though

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I run the beads in one of my trucks. Guy mounting the oversized tires dropped the whole bag in. Told me the bag breaks after a few miles so the beads can do their thing. I've put beads in my last bike by pouring them through the valve stem. Takes patience to do it that way but they work good.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Bullshit

Been a tire man for about 30 yrs n I call their bead method bullshit! Ain't nothing rolling around inside a tire gonna know where the light spot is n go to that part of the tire. Believe what u want , I always go for the good old computer spin balance. In the truck tire biz I have done all the snake oil methods but always come back to the wheel weighted spin balance. Take it from a old timer, tell em to pull that crap out n balance the damn thing RIGHT! :D

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Update: Checked the air pressure in my new front tire this morning. While unscrewing the cap heard air hissing out. With cap removed all the air rushed out of the valve. Got my valve tool and tightened down the internals of the valve. Don't know why it was/came loose. Refilled to 38psi, tested with soapy water, and no bubbles.

Went out for a quick ride on a newly paved highway and @ 70mph did not experience the same oscillation/vibration as yesterday. Didn't "feel" quite the same as before my tire change, but maybe that is just the difference between riding on my old (18K miles) and now new (50 miles) front tire.

I probably had around 30psi (or less) in my front tire yesterday, so maybe it's not the balance beads.

regards,

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Update: Checked the air pressure in my new front tire this morning. While unscrewing the cap heard air hissing out. With cap removed all the air rushed out of the valve. Got my valve tool and tightened down the internals of the valve. Don't know why it was/came loose. Refilled to 38psi, tested with soapy water, and no bubbles.

Went out for a quick ride on a newly paved highway and @ 70mph did not experience the same oscillation/vibration as yesterday. Didn't "feel" quite the same as before my tire change, but maybe that is just the difference between riding on my old (18K miles) and now new (50 miles) front tire.

I probably had around 30psi (or less) in my front tire yesterday, so maybe it's not the balance beads.

regards,
Hopefully it was the air pressure, that would be an easy fix.

Last set of tires I got, I was aggravated at first because the bike "didn't handle right". Then I realized that it handled the way it was supposed to handle and I actually had tread now. LOL

·
Registered
830 Posts
Been a tire man for about 30 yrs n I call their bead method bullshit! Ain't nothing rolling around inside a tire gonna know where the light spot is n go to that part of the tire. Believe what u want , I always go for the good old computer spin balance. In the truck tire biz I have done all the snake oil methods but always come back to the wheel weighted spin balance. Take it from a old timer, tell em to pull that crap out n balance the damn thing RIGHT! :D
Damn straight!

I bet you told Orville and Wilber that it would never fly also!
Did you tell Magellan that the Earth was flat?
And how about that new fangled electricity thing? Whats up with that? You should tell that Edison guy that it will never catch on....

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's alright smart guy , believe what u want . Like I said in posting it's MY OPINION. but there is always some smart guys that just try to start a argument. Won't bite . As said from my experience (30yrs.) and in my opinion the absolute best balance is a computer spin balance. The beads all settle into bottom of tire n takes some time to work every time u park!!! And god forbid getting any soapy water or mounting compound inside of tire while mounting, it just clumps together n doesn't work well.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Not getting into the argument about wheel weights/dynabeads, just stating my experience with them. On my first bike, I had spokes. It started slinging off wheel weights, went to beads, no problems after then and got higher mileage and more even wear out of the tires.

Second bike, started slinging wheel weights, same as above.

This bike, started slinging wheel weights before my first oil change, went with beads, no issues after that.

Definitely not saying balancing machines don't work - they do or they wouldn't still be out there. Just saying that for me I have never been able to keep the weights on, and so far I haven't noticed any beads seeping out. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me one time. I was accelerating down an on ramp to an interstate. It got good to me and I kept getting on it hard. The next thing I knew the front wheel felt like it was wobbling around like a water filled beach ball. It scared the S**T out of me. My bars didn't move side to side hardly at all but it made me pucker. I didn't hit any brakes but just backed out of the throttle. I thought it might have been the grooves that were milled into the concrete road but It's never happened again. I have stock wheels and tires and have 2oz. of beads in both of my tires. (They are loose and not in the bag :) )

·
Registered
285 Posts
Cool,whatever works for ya. How's the old saying go ,different strokes for different folks. :-{

·
Registered
805 Posts
Been using beads for 9 years, 3 different HD touring bikes. NO problems, better mileage from stock tires. Beads should not be in the bag. The beads spread out and re-balancing the tire every time you go above 30MPH. Once tire heats up all moisture should be gone if there was any to begin with. Speed balancing is good but, as the tire wares, it wares in different locations which negates the original balance. Always check the schrader valve for tightness.
Then again that's just my take on it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hello,

Went for a ride on Sunday and the front end still did not "feel" right to me @ 65mph or higher.

Took it in to my dealer this morning and asked that a tech ride my RGU on the freeway. He came back and said he felt a "vibration type of shudder" at 65mph plus (his words).

They checked the tire and wheel bearings and both were fine. They then removed the balance beads and computer balanced the front tire. It took 3 1/2oz of wheel weights to balance it. Service mgr said it's the first time in his experience that 2oz of balance beads did not work. He "suspects" the wheel may have had slight imperfections when cast and that is why more wheel weights were needed to balance it.

Rode my bike home on the freeway at 70mph plus and the ride was as smooth as before I got new tires.

regards,

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had the same problem, had to go back to stick on weights on the front wheel, which usually get flung off in our FL heat. Made the mistake using steel stick on weights which dented my front fender from the inside out when they got flung. I'm back to lead stick on weights.

I've tried twice to make these beads work on 2 different tire changes, no joy for me. I have CVO chrome wheels which don't like stick on weights.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts